[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter December 2013

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Fri Dec 6 16:03:41 AEDT 2013

*
A quick YarraBUG Newsletter for December 2013**:)
*

 1. Wellington Street Copenhagen lanes - what you can do
 2. BAC Minutes + End of Year Drinks
 3. Projector Bike Tours around Yarra for Christmas
 4. 'Food know how' trike riding volunteers wanted
 5. East West Link - make a CIS submission + events

Hi all,

Well done everyone, we've reached our very modest goal of 100 signatures
for our 'Yarra City Council: Wellington St Copenhagen Lane Petition'

Thank you all so much!

*1. What can you do next?*
We need people to contact all Yarra Councillors - especially those who
voted against Wellington Street Advisory Group recommendations.

*Wellington Street Lane Petition*
We need to show a strong message to get these lanes built - you can get
more people sign our online petition and also help distribute a hardcopy
version to be tabled at the next Yarra Council meeting on 17 December
2013 to show the huge support this proposed lane has with the local
community.

  * Sign the online petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/yarra-city-council-wellington-st-copenhagen-lane-petition
  * Download copies to print and sign for your workplace, school,
    creche, anywhere: http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/print-a-flyer/
  * Return the paper petitions to Yarra BUG by Monday 16th December, at:
    YarraBUG Radio c/o 3CR Community Radio 21 Smith Street, Fitzroy, VIC
    3065

*Attend the next Yarra Council Meeting - 17 December 2013*
Please make the time to attend this meeting - it would be great if you
are prepared to make your views known during Public Question Time, so
bring all your friends and banners or signage December 2013 Council
Meetings - Tuesday, 17 December 2013, 7pm, Richmond Town Hall, 333
Bridge Road, Richmond.

More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Meetings/2013-council-meetings/?MeetingPageID=2171&day=2013-12-17
Here's signage you can print for the meeting:
http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/print-a-flyer/

*Information to include or consider when contacting Councillors:*
Background: "Council's aim is for Yarra to double the rate of residents
cycling to work from 6.4% to 15% by 2015. In 2009 Council adopted the
Bicycle Strategy 2010-2015 to establish a long-term vision for cycling
in Yarra. The building of "Copenhagen lanes" is a vital part of this
plan - scrapping them practically makes this plan practically
irrelevant, thus going against the councils own so-called bike friendly
reputation.

  * Yarra Bike Strategy (2010-2015)
    http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Sustainable-transport/Bike-strategy/
  * My Story: http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/my-story/
  * Why We Want Separated Bicycle Infrastructure:
    http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/why-we-want-separated-bicycle-infrastructure/
  *  From SydneyCycleways: Economic Research:
    http://sydneycycleways.net/the-network/strategy-research/economic-research

*Please pass this information onto everyone you know who wants safer
bicycle riding conditions in Melbourne!***

*2. BAC Minutes + End of Year Drinks

*Message from Kate - Hi all, Please find attached the most recent
minutes from the BAC.  Please let me know of any changes before
Wednesday November 4th when I will load them to the website.
As suggested at the previous meeting we will have end of year drinks.
All welcome.

Where: Napier Hotel (across the road from the Fitzroy Town Hall)
When: Wednesday December 18th -- from 6:30pm.

Thanks for all of your active and diligent participation in the BAC this
year.  It is much appreciated. I will send around the dates for 2014
meetings when they are available.  Likely to be mid-December.  Also, the
two Councillors appointed for this Committee are: Cr Sam Gaylard and Cr
Misha Coleman (welcome aboard). I have also attached the spread sheet
with a few additional notes which may be of interest.
Cheers, Kate

Kate Simnett, Sustainable Transport Officer, City of Yarra PO Box 168
RICHMOND 3121, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday
T (03) 9205 5734  M 0407 812 882  F (03) 8417-6666, E
kate.simnett at yarracity.vic.gov.au, W www.yarracity.vic.gov.au
Yarra has once again recorded the highest Cycle to Work rate in
Australia! 8.5% of residents cycled to work on the August 2011 Census
day.  Congratulations Yarra.
http://www.foodknowhow.org.au/get-involved/volunteer/

*
**3. Projector Bike Tours around Yarra for Christmas*
Cycling and cinema come together for a series of free riding tours
around Yarra. Hop on your bike and follow a projector bike on a tour of
local sites, with short films shown at each stop. Brick walls and fences
will be transformed into impromptu screens as the movies go mobile! All
rides start at 8pm and take about 1.5 hours.

To view maps of each ride, visit the Projector Bike website and click on
'Upcoming Events': http://www.projectorbike.com.au
<http://www.projectorbike.com.au/>

  * Saturday 7 December, Smith Street, its Bazaar Discovery Night,
    Meeting point - Woolworth's car park (St David St, Fitzroy)
  * Wednesday 11 December, Power without Glory - The Carringbush Fix,
    Meeting point - The Carringbush Hotel (228 Langridge St, Abbotsford)
  * Saturday 14 December, The Inner Circle - Princes Hill to Clifton
    Hill, Meeting point - North Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House (20
    Solly Avenue, Princes Hill)
  * Thursday 19 December, Tell it to City Hall - The Bridge Rd/Victoria
    St Ride, Meeting point -- Richmond Town Hall (333 Bridge Rd, Richmond)
  * Saturday 21 December, The Welcome to Fitzroyalty Discovery Night,
    Meeting point - cnr Royal Lane and Gertrude St, Fitzroy

*5. 'Food know how' trike riding volunteers wanted*
 From Kaylyn: The Food Know How mob are looking for some skilled and
enthusiastic riders... that's you!
I'm in need of volunteer trike riders for the Food Know How program (to
collect food scraps from cafes via cargo trike and deliver them to
compost hubs).  I've attached a flyer and a full position description
and this is a link to the advertisement on our website.

More at: http://www.foodknowhow.org.au/get-involved/volunteer/
*

6. East West Link - make a CIS submission + events*
So ... you want to send a East West Link CIS submission but the deluge
of information and documents is making it difficult to comprehend what
exactly needs to be done? Here's a collaborative wiki for the East West
Link Comprehensive Impact Statement (CIS) to you help prepare a
submission to the Independent Panel assessing the impacts of this 'mad
scheme'. Use this site to gather information to help you or your group
make a submission before 5:00 pm December 12th 2013.

More at: http://www.ycat.org.au/EWL_CIS/

 From YCAT:Dear Friends and Local Groups, This is a suggestion to hold a
stall in your village. Saturday next (7th December 2013) is the last
before East West Link Comprehensive Impact Statement (CIS) submissions
close.

More at: http://www.ycat.org.au/?p=3574