[YarraBUG-list] Help get a ‘Copenhagen’ bike lane on Wellington Street, Collingwood!

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Wed Dec 4 16:15:52 AEDT 2013

*
Help get a ‘Copenhagen’ bike lane on Wellington Street**
*

Hi all,

The current proposal for a separated bicycle lane (a ‘Copenhagen’ style
bike lane) along Wellington St in Collingwood is in serious threat of
being ditched after the last council meeting (19/11/13) where our
cycling mayor, Cr Jackie Fristacky, abstained from the vote.

The matter will be raised again at the council meeting on 17th of
December, at 7:00 pm at Richmond Town Hall.

Several concerned locals and community groups (Yarra Climate Action Now!
and YarraBUG) have teamed up to support the lanes and send a strong
message to council that we want it built.

  * Wellington Street Seperated Bike Path: http://wellingtonstbikelane.info

*1. What you can do

*We need people to contact all Councillors - especially those who voted
against Wellington Street Advisory Group recommendations.

Tell your story why you want these lanes, why they are important to you,
your stories of riding through the area, especially if you live locally.

Voted Against: Cr Roberto Colanzi, 0428 328 904, 9205 5055, e:
Roberto.Colanzi at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Voted Against: Cr Cr Geoff Barbour, 9205 5055, 0438 034 241, e:
Geoff.Barbour at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Voted Against: Cr Simon Huggins, 0419 581 469, 9205 5055, e:
Simon.Huggins at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Voted Against: Cr Phillip Vlahogiannis, 0428 323 916, e:
Phillip.Vlahogiannis at yarracity.vic.gov.au

Abstained: Mayor Cr Jackie Fristacky, 9205 5055, 0412 597 794, e:
Jackie.Fristacky at yarracity.vic.gov.au

Voted for: Cr Stephen Jolly, 9205 5055,  0437 856 713, e:
Stephen.Jolly at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Voted for: Cr Amanda Stone, 9205 5055, 0429 358 170, e:
Amanda.Stone at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Voted for: Cr Misha Coleman, 0428 509 943, 9205 5055, e:
Misha.Coleman at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Voted for: Cr Sam Gaylard, 9205 5053, 9489 5429 (after hours), 0448 586
884, e: Sam.Gaylard at yarracity.vic.gov.au

*2. Wellington Street Lane Petition*

We need to show a strong message to get these lanes built - you can sign
our online petition and also help distribute a hardcopy version to be
tabled at the next Yarra Council meeting on 17 December 2013 to show the
huge support this proposed lane has with the local community.

 1. Sign the online petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/yarra-city-council-wellington-st-copenhagen-lane-petition
 2. Download copies to print and sign for your workplace, school,
    creche, anywhere: http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/print-a-flyer/
 3. Return the paper petitions to Yarra BUG by *Monday 16th December*,
    at: YarraBUG Radio c/o 3CR Community Radio 21 Smith Street, Fitzroy
    VIC 3065

*3. Attend the next Yarra Council Meeting - 17 December 2013*

Please make the time to attend this meeting - it would be great if you
are prepared to make your views known during Public Question Time, so
bring all your friends and banners or signage December 2013 Council
Meetings - Tuesday, 17 December 2013, 7pm, Richmond Town Hall, 333
Bridge Road, Richmond.

More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Meetings/2013-council-meetings/?MeetingPageID=2171&day=2013-12-17

Here's signage you can print for the meeting:
http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/print-a-flyer/

*
**4. Information to include or consider when contacting Councillors:*

Background: "Council's aim is for Yarra to double the rate of residents
cycling to work from 6.4% to 15% by 2015. In 2009 Council adopted the
Bicycle Strategy 2010-2015 to establish a long-term vision for cycling
in Yarra. The building of "Copenhagen lanes" is a vital part of this
plan - scrapping them practically makes this plan practically
irrelevant, thus going against the councils own so-called bike friendly
reputation.

 1. Yarra Bike Strategy (2010-2015)
    http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Sustainable-transport/Bike-strategy/
 2. My Story: http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/my-story/
 3. Why We Want Separated Bicycle Infrastructure:
    http://wellingtonstbikelane.info/why-we-want-separated-bicycle-infrastructure/
 4.  From SydneyCycleways: Economic Research:
    http://sydneycycleways.net/the-network/strategy-research/economic-research

*Please pass this information onto everyone you know who wants safer
bicycle****riding conditions in Melbourne!

*

--
Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital