[YarraBUG-list] Rushall Station Underpass

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Thu Jan 10 16:53:16 AEDT 2008

Hi all,

A heads up just in case you're about to ride home and travel through the
underpass at Rushall Station in North Fitzroy.

Last evening (9/1/08) about 4.50 - 5pm, a cyclist was instructed to walk
his bike through the underpass by three men on the Merri Creek side of
the path. He assumes they were Connex staff, as they had fluoro vests on
over their blue shirts obscuring pocket logos.

One stood out from the group blocking the riders path and waved his
finger at at the rider, then said words to the effect that:

"You will have to wheel your bike through here in future, penalties will
apply from tomorrow".

Now there has been signage up at the underpass denoting that cyclists
should indeed dismount, however it has never been enforced to my knowledge.

Invariably most cyclists using the underpass do use tact and
commonsense, i.e.: slowing down, ringing their bells and maintaining a
look out for other users.

However, like others no doubt,  I'm mildly incredulous that no
communication has occured prior to this to advise these sudden changes
or any alternative solutions made.

I'm attempting to find out if this rule change is permanent or a
one-off. If you encounter any behaviour similar to what is quoted above,
please remain polite, ask these people who they are, make note of the
time and please send a email to YarraBUG.

Please also ensure you also contact Connex, City of Yarra and BV
(details below) to make your opinions known.

cheers,

Chris

Connex
GPO Box 5092BB
Melbourne VIC 3001
Ph: 1 800 800 705
7 days a week, 6am - 10pm
Online contact form:
http://www.connexmelbourne.com.au/index.php?id=72#feedback

City of Yarra
Tel: (03) 9205 5555
Fax: (03) 8417 6666
info at yarracity.vic.gov.au

Bicycle Victoria: PO Box 426
Collins St West, Victoria, 8007
Situated at Level 10 / 446 Collins Street,
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Ph (03) 8636 8888
Fax (03) 8636 8800
Email: bicyclevicATbv.com.au