[YarraBUG-list] What's the future of cycling in Yarra?

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Wed Nov 25 09:36:31 AEDT 2015

What's the future of cycling in Yarra?

Like many people, we're very curious to what Yarra City Council is doing
in regards to retaining their 'best cycling city in Australia' status,
as we've been repeatedly informed during recent Bicycle Advisory
Committee meetings there won't be a new bike plan completing the
previous 2010-2015 strategy but instead it will be replaced by a
nebulous-sounding 'ten year program of works'.

Examples of what's happening elsewhere:

  * City of Melbourne: currently working on new Draft Bicycle Plan
  * Darebin City Council: Cycling Strategy 2013-2018
  * Moreland City Council: Bicycle Strategy 2011–2021
  * Victorian state government: currently reviewing Victoria's cycling
    strategy

So if you're also curious about what's occuring, please ensure you have
feedback to the Yarra Council budget forum.

Council Budget Planning feedback - registration and feedback takes only
minutes:

http://yarraconversation.com.au/council-budget1

*The forum closes on Friday 27 November 2015 so make your feedback now.

*Here's a handy link to Yarra councillors if you want to contact them
with your concerns:

http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Councillors/*

*Things to consider when adding feedback:

  * Why a bicycle strategy is needed - an ad hoc approach via a general
    program of works is simply not a strategy, vision or plan,
  * Cycling investment is a long term investment in public health,
    safety, liveability and reducing congestion,
  * A lack of a bicycle strategy is a lack of responsibility of council
    to it's residents, neighbouring councils and stakeholders,
  * Cycling is a major component of Yarra Councils overall goals, be
    that Liveable Yarra, working groups and local transport.

*
On this weeks 3CR podcast:* local resident Elizabeth Long was
interviewed about the future of cycling in Yarra in relation to an
unsure budget allocation and no new bike strategy after 2015. Discussion
includes cycling issues over the previous decade in Yarra, budget
allocations, the lack of will towards developing a new bike strategy,
implications of mid-2016 rates cap for Victorian councils, lack of a
positive narrative for active travel coming from our local council and
how you can have input into Yarra Councils budget process for 2016-17
and beyond.  We discuss changing local transport needs, riding for
transport, liveable cities, complete streets, local safe routes for
riding to school, Bendigo Councils future plans, City of Melbourne Draft
Bicycle Plan and Updating Victoria’s cycling strategy from the Victorian
State Government.

Listen here:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/2015/11/23/yarrabug-radio-show-366-monday-23rd-november-2015/
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=311379597

--
*Listen to Yarra Bicycle Users Group Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/>*
*Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio