[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG March 2015 News update - including Remembrance Ride for Alberto Paulon tomorrow at 5.30pm + latest 3CR podcasts

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Thu Mar 5 23:04:32 AEDT 2015

*
YarraBUG March 2015 News update - including Remembrance Ride for Alberto
Paulon tomorrow at 5.30pm + latest 3CR podcasts

**1. Safer Cycling Sydney Road: Remembrance Ride for Alberto Paulon**-
Friday 6th March*
*2. 2015 As Bare As You Dare**- Sunday 8th March*
*3. From City of Yarra: Collins (Gipps Street) Bridge Works - Commencing
3 March 2015*
*4. **Wellington St Copenhagen Bike Lane Construction to Start 16 March
2015*
**5. Latest YarraBUG Radio podcasts on 3CR

**Do you have a inner Melbourne bike-related event coming up? Or you
know of upcoming road or shared path works around Yarra?
Please let us know (events at yarrabug.org) & we’ll add them to this public
calendar to get the word out.
http://www.yarrabug.org/events/*
**

1. Safer Cycling Sydney Road: Remembrance Ride for Alberto Paulon**-
Friday 6th March*
Meet 5.30pm, southern end of Sydney Road near playing fields & Park Street.
Come and join us to raise awareness and help make Sydney Road a safe
place for people cycling.
We are going to ride up Sydney Road to Moreland Road as a quiet memorial.
#AlbisRide on twitter, facebook & instagram
More at: http://www.safercyclingsydneyroad.com/

*2. 2015 As Bare As You Dare**- Sunday 8th March*
Starting at the Fox Hotel where we can all get a bit of ‘Dutch courage’
before sneaking off to our super secret paint-up and undress location.
PLEASE NOTE – Start/End are NOT the same spot and you will have to carry
your clothes (or send via 1 vehicle we will have; Bags will be provided
if required. TBC)
This ride is an easy 9km and takes in annual favs of Brunswick and
Johnston and across to Lygon St.

-LATE UPDATE-
In honor of Alberto Paulon, a bicycle rider who lost his life after an
alleged car dooring, WNBR will also take back Sydney Rd Brunswick to
remind everyone, everywhere that roads are for sharing.
Please use the #AlbisRide on Twitter, Facebook etc for any comment or
pictures in this area. The memorial will be a sombre moment and riders
(whilst naked) will be requested to respect the location and recent
event. A moments silence will be observed and the ride will continue on.
Remember this could be any bike rider and a key point of why the World
Naked Bike Ride happens across the world. Ride will wind-up with
exploring Royal Park and great views back to the CBD.
More at: http://www.asbareasyoudare.com/?page_id=999

*3. From City of Yarra: Collins (Gipps Street) Bridge Works - Commencing
3 March 2015*
This is to advise of upcoming works on Collins footbridge. The bridge is
located at the eastern end of Gipps Street, Abbotsford and connects City
of Yarra with Yarra Bend Park, Kew.
The works on the bridge will commence on the 3 March 2015 and it is
anticipated to take 8 – 10 weeks to complete. The works will include:

· Steel re-enforcement of the main span structure and of the eastern
approach;
· Application of an anti-rust treatment at elements of the main span and
approaches;
· Rehabilitation of all 4 supporting pylons;
· Limited deck remedial work and associated works.

The footbridge will be closed to all traffic during normal working hours
– from 7:00am till 5:00pm. There will be full access through this bridge
outside of the working hours.
There will be 12 information signs installed in strategic locations –
around 2 weeks prior to the works commencement. The signs will inform of
the works, will provide contact details and will indicate possible
detours during working hours.
There will be two relatively small compounds established at both – Yarra
and Parks Victoria end of the bridge – for storage of equipment,
materials and other needs. Both compounds will be removed on completion
of works and pre-existing conditions will be re-established.
Regards, Leonid Volkov, Project Engineer City of Yarra PO Box 168
Richmond 3121
T (03) 9205 5750 F (03) 8417 6666 Mob: 0412 205 575

*4. **Wellington St Copenhagen Bike Lane Construction to Start 16 March
2015*
 From Alistair McDonald at CoY:  Citywide Services will start
construction on the Wellington Street separated Copenhagen bicycle lanes
on behalf of Yarra City Council on Monday 16 March 2015.  The project
will deliver separated bicycle lanes (often referred to as Copenhagen
lanes) between Gipps Street and Victoria Parade, and will improve safety
for cyclists by completely separating bicycles from road traffic along
this section of Wellington Street.  Additional information can be found
at the Yarra City Council Website with information about the
construction schedule and works methods to be sent out in the coming month.
More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Parking-roads-and-transport/Current-projects/wellington-street-copenhagen-bicycle-lanes/

*5. Latest YarraBUG Radio podcasts on 3CR

YarraBUG Radio Show #327 Monday 2nd March 2015
*On this weeks program Chris talks to long time cycling campaigner and
fellow radio producer Chris Virtue about riding and transport issues in
Sydney & Melbourne. Local news includes the 2015 ‎As Bare As You Dare
Ride and Safer Cycling Sydney Road‬ ride + petition organised by
Brunswick residents in the wake of Alberto Paulon’s tragic dooring death
on Friday 27 February 2015.*
*http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1881*

YarraBUG Radio Show #326 Monday 23rd February 2015
*Val and Faith welcome studio guests, Anna Thompson and Caz Whitehead
and everyone shares a bike moment. We run through some news including
shared-path racing on Strava and Anna Meares’ 11th World Title in Paris.
Caz and Anna fill us in on #Everesting and the recent mass women’s
everesting on Mt Donna Buang, which they were both a part of. We finish
up with a coupe of events. #girlsgetrad #insearchofup
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1878*

YarraBUG Radio Show #325 Monday 16th February 2015
*This week Chris speaks to David Borella from BikeSydney about
campaigning & some of the strange, retrogressive things that seem to be
happening in NSW with the threat of cycleways and train lines being
removed for “progress” News includes Melbourne’s second BikeRave,
Wellington Street Copenhagen lanes community session, Yarra Council
Budget and quick mention about the Evandale Penny Farthing championships.*
*http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1873*

YarraBUG Radio Show #324 Monday 9th February 2015
*Val and I took a break from the Yarra BUG Radio Show over the summer
and this was our first day back in the studio, you might hear a couple
of glitches! We eased into the show with some news, the Herald Sun Tour
and of course the mass Everlasting on the previous weekend. Our studio
guests for this show were Mark Drehlich of Cycling Victoria and Jacinta
Costello of Ladies Back on Your Bike. They came in to talk about the The
Women’s Ride, an initiative of Cycling Victoria together with The
Squeaky Wheel, Vic Health and the Amy Gillett Foundation. While
organised by Cycling Victoria it relies on grassroots initiatives to get
women onto their bikes, all on the one day, April 12th.*
*http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1863

--
Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital