[YarraBUG-list] [vicbugchat] Fwd: Main Yarra Trail Closure

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Fri Jul 5 09:36:13 AEST 2013

Hi all,

Update received 5/7 from Parks Victoria about the Main Yarra Trail
closure, there's no ETA on the trail reopening as of yet,
although we'll inform you ASAP when that occurs, as several thousand
cyclists will obviously greatly appreciate it

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/bays-rivers-and-ports/yarra/plans-and-projects/faq

For a route through Cremorne - try this google map from Bicycle Network:
http://goo.gl/maps/5y2d3

Frequently asked questions
Why is the floating section of the Main Yarra Trail being closed?
Parks Victoria is concerned for public safety following a higher than
normal rate of incidents on the track. Contributing factors to the
safety risks include ice caused by low overnight temperatures during
winter and spring, narrow and steep sections and silt building up under
the floating path which is causing structural integrity issues.

What is Parks Victoria doing to address the safety issues?
Engineers have inspected the structure and are currently reviewing the
options to address the safety issues on the floating sections of the
Main Yarra Trail.

How long will access to the Main Yarra Trail be closed?
The length of the closure is dependent on what measures need to be taken
to resolve the issues and will be determined as part of the review.
Parks Victoria will advise the public as soon as it is clear when a
reopening can occur.

Is the whole Main Yarra Trail closed?
Only the floating section between Barkley Avenue, Burnley and Punt Road,
Richmond is closed.

What alternate route can I take now that the floating section of the
Main Yarra Trail is closed?
There are many options for an alternate route. Parks Victoria has
discussed options with City of Yarra and City of Stonnington and
suggests the following:

City bound Main Yarra Trail users
Detour at MacRobertson Bridge onto the Capital City Trail for
approximately 4.4km which then connects back onto the Main Yarra Trail
at Anderson St via Morell Bridge (Anderson St Footbridge).

Out-bound pedestrians and cyclists
Detour at Anderson St onto the Capital City Trail via Morell Bridge
(Anderson St Footbridge) and connect back onto the Main Yarra Trail via
MacRobertson Bridge.

View map of alternate route
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/600556/Main-Yarra-Trail-Closure-Map-280613.pdf

Riders are advised to ride with caution and follow directions of
signage. Additional detour signage is being sourced to help riders and
pedestrians find their way along the suggested alternate route and will
be in place shortly.

Is the closure of the floating trail permanent?
No. It is Parks Victoria's intention to reinstate the closed section of
trail once it is safe.

Why didn't Parks Victoria just install warning signage instead of
closing the trail?
There is already warning signage about slippery conditions when there is
ice on site however the combination of several risk factors working
together has increased safety risks to the public and deemed it
necessary for Parks Victoria to close the trail.

Will Parks Victoria replace the floating pontoons?
Parks Victoria is currently reviewing all options to find the best
solution to address the safety issues.

Is the design of the floating infrastructure faulty?
The current structure was installed over 12 years ago and has seen an
unprecedented increase in cycling traffic since its construction over
the years. Parks Victoria will review the design requirements for the
floating section of the Main Yarra Trail as part of the safety review.

Main Yarra Trail closure latest news and background information:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/bays-rivers-and-ports/yarra/plans-and-projects

--
*Listen to **YarraBUG Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio>*
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM <http://www.3cr.org.au/>

On 28/06/2013 6:25 PM, Yarra Bicycle Users Group wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Emergency works on the floating sections of the Main Yarra Trail,
> please forward this information onto anyone you know who uses this
> section.
>
> Also posted on fb, twitter & Melb Cyclist with detour map:
>
> https://twitter.com/YarraCouncil/status/350508819010428929
>
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=540776682654198
>
> http://www.melbournecyclist.com/forum/topics/heads-up-parks-victoria-closure-of-floating-sections-of-main

<snip>