[YarraBUG-list] Main Yarra Trail News + East West Link submission+ on hols

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Tue Dec 31 15:46:26 AEDT 2013

Hi all,

Heads up - if you're travelling on the Main Yarra Trail tonight for New
Years, it will be closed from 7pm, so go on road through Cremorne or the
bone-rattling old south bank. We actually prefer going through the side
streets of Cremorne ;)

*1. Taking a break*
YarraBUG Radio will be taking a break from the 3CR studios until 20
January 2014, but you can listen into our last year of fabulous podcasts
and interviews right here over the holiday break:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/

*2. East West Link Submission*
We made a submission to Planning Plans about East West Link. What was
striking was the complete lack of serious reference to existing bicycle
infrastructure or detailed impacts that five years of construction would
have on cycling routes in our area. Also there was no mention throughout
the huge Comprehensive Impact Statement documentation of the existing
Yarra Bike Strategy (2010-2015). Sorry if we missed finding any
reference, but we did try! In hindsight we could of mentioned much, much
more, including bicycle count numbers, although what was important is
making the submission and getting the opportunity to present at
Assessment Planning Panel in March 2014.

East West Link (Eastern Section) submissions
http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/215938/00567_YARRA-BICYCLE-USERS-GROUP.pdf

You can stay informed about the local campaigns against East West Link
via Trains Not Tolls and Yarra Campaign For Action on Transport:

http://trainsnottollroads.com.au/

http://www.ycat.org.au/

*
**3. Section of Main Yarra Trail to be closed for dredging. 30 December
2013*
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/hot-topics/section-of-main-yarra-trail-to-be-closed-for-dredging--/

The Main Yarra Trail, between Punt Road and Burnley Harbour, will be
closed from Friday 10 January for up to six days.

Parks Victoria will close the trail to dredge accumulated silt beneath
the floating pontoon sections of the trail.

Works will be restricted to weekdays between 9.30am -- 4.30pm to ensure
the trail is open during peak commuter times and on weekends.

The trail will be closed in the evenings from 8.30pm -- 6.30am due to
safety issues caused by low tides, which tilt the pontoons.

Here is a table of the full schedule of closures:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/619193/MYT-scheduled-closures.pdf

Here is a map of the suggested detour routes:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/600556/Main-Yarra-Trail-Closure-Map-280613.pdf

This is the first stage of works. Once complete, the second and third
stages of work will be scheduled.

The dredging works are expected to be complete by the end of February.

For more information, visit the Parks Victoria website or call 13 1963.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/bays-rivers-and-ports/yarra/plans-and-projects/main-yarra-trail

--
Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital