[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter - May 2012

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Fri May 18 01:35:43 AEST 2012

*YarraBUG Newsletter - May 2012*

 1.      No funding for cycling in 2012 Victorian State Budget
 2.      Parliamentary Hearing into Car Dooring
 3.      Social Media
 4.      YarraBUG Radio - our recent programs + 3CR Radiothon
 5.      Yarra Council News
 6.      Cycling in the news
 7.      Rides & Events

*
1. No funding for cycling in 2012 Victorian State Budget*
No doubt many of you would of heard of the massive funding shortfall for
cycling infrastructure in the 2012 Victorian State Budget. In the midst
of the Victorian government only funding $5m for existing programs and
the rest of the VicRoads bicycle infrastructure funding being scrapped,
the WA government have increased their annual state budget to $28m, let
alone Melbourne City Council funding almost $5m for their entire cycling
budget.  Last Saturday 12 May, representatives of several Victorian BUGs
met and discussed strategies and plans for a upcoming campaign to renew,
restore and replan bicycle funding in Victoria, you can read Nik's
report here:

If you want to be involved in the next meeting, read details in the link
above, the meeting starts at 6pm. In the interim, if you want to write
directly to Ted Ballieu & Terry Mulder, please ensure any correspondence
is on topic, constructive, informative & respectful.

Premier of Victoria, The Hon. Ted Baillieu, MP
Level 1, 1 Treasury Place
East Melbourne Victoria, 3002
e:ted.baillieu at parliament.vic.gov.au, 9651 5000

Minister for Public Transport, The Hon. Terry Mulder, MP
Level 16, 121 Exhibition Street
Melbourne Victoria, 3000
e: terence.mulder at parliament.vic.gov.au, p: 9095 4330

_
_*The Greens have started a campaign - news from Colleen Hartland MLC*
More than one million Victorians cycle every week. Together we're going
to build a community campaign stronger and louder than ever before.
We're going to stand up for cycling through to the next election and
send the government a message they can't ignore! We want a liveable,
healthy and vibrant Melbourne and Victoria. And we want a safe place to
ride our bikes!
More at: http://vicmps.greens.org.au/lovemybike

*
2. Parliamentary Hearing into Car Dooring: 8pm, Wednesday, 23 May 2012*
 From MelbBUG: Come to the final parliamentary hearing into the car
dooring bill. Speakers include Bicycle Victoria, the Road Safety Action
Group Inner Melbourne, Amy Gillett Foundation, Andrew Tivendale, the
parents of James Cross and Melbourne Bicycle User Group.
Details of the hearing are at
www.parliament.vic.gov.au/standing-committee-on-economy-and-infrastructure/legislation-committee/inquiries/article/1818
The hearing starts at 8pm but we'll be meeting a group at 7.30pm outside
the parliament if you want to go in together.
FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/325237604211601/

You can read the written Submissions to Standing Committee on Economy
and Infrastructure online:
http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/standing-committee-on-economy-and-infrastructure/legislation-committee/inquiries/article/1770

*3. Social Media*
We've finally entered the 21st century with a facebook page & twitter
profile, we were considering an app but Snap Send Solve seems to fit the
bill for now ;) So if you've across FB & twitter, please feel free to
share any heads up, local news, riding conditions & general observations.

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/YarraBUGRadio
Twitter: http://twitter.com/yarrabike
BTW, here's Snap Send Solve for those of you with smartphones:
http://snapsendsolve.com/

*4. YarraBUG Radio - our recent programs*
Our 2012 3CR Radiothon program is Monday 11th June - we've planning a
hour long show with local cycling celebrities, fun, a surprise or two
and possibly even you! Please help us reach out radiothon target with
either a 3CR subscription or donation to our program, or even both!
Listen to our program on the Queens Birthday holiday to find out more ;)

YarraBUG Radio Show#186 -- Monday 14th May 2012
local bike news, ABC News Breakfast's correction on "blame" for dooring
incidents on May 7, briefly chat about Faith's recent trip to Tokyo,
State budget funding cuts to bicycle infrastructure, a wide-ranging
interview with Alan Parker, OAM about his background in Victorian
cycling advocacy, VicRoads attitudes towards cycling for transport and
the funding cuts to cycling programs in the 2012 Victorian State budget,
plus the upcoming 3CR 2012 radiothon -- Invest in Independence. More at:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1039

YarraBUG Radio Show#185 -- Monday 7th May 2012
We discuss weekly catch up, the Victorian State budget $20m funding cuts
to bicycle infrastructure, we interview Leena from Bike n' Blend, Beach
Road memorial ride for Doug Garley + local bike news. More at:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1035

*Invest in Independence*
3CR's annual Radiothon runs from 4 - 17 June.  The station is
financially supported by our listening community. This year we are
trying to raise $210,000 to cover operating costs. Buy your share of the
media and invest in independence. More at:
http://www.3cr.org.au/news/invest-independence

*Record your own radio promo for 3CR Radiothon*
Share your love for 3CR. Our annual Radiothon appeal is just a month
away and this year's theme is Invest in Independence. Call our message
bank and record your own 3CR promo for us to play on air during
radiothon.  Call 9513 2042 ... you have 1 minute ... your time starts
now ...
More at: http://www.3cr.org.au/news/record-your-own-radio-promo-3r-radtiohon

*5. Yarra Council News*

*Proposed bike parking in Best Street, North Fitzroy*
Bike parking out the front of Piedmontes? People have been asking about
this for YEARS. Well finally it could happen - with your support!

News from Yarra Council: Council is seeking feedback on a proposal to
replace two car parking spaces in front of Piedimonte's Supermarket in
Best Street, North Fitzroy with bicycle parking. As part of the
proposal, seven bicycle hoops would be installed that could accommodate
up to 14 bicycles. Existing bicycle parking on the footpath would be
removed. The proposed works would cost about $6000. The aim of the
project is to increase the number of people who can use this space for
parking (by replacing two car parking spaces with 14 bike parking
spaces) and to create more footpath space for pedestrians. The location
outside Piedimonte's was chosen to provide better facilities for people
who use their bicycles to shop, especially shoppers who use cargo bikes
or bikes that carry heavy panniers or trailers.

Council officers will be available to answer questions and receive
feedback from the community on Saturday 19 May, 10am-12noon at the
Piedimonte's Supermarket car park.

More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Parking-roads-and-transport/Sustainable-transport/proposed-bike-parking-in-best-street-north-fitzroy-/

*Update - Proposed separated bike lanes in Wellington Street*
 From mid-June, Council will seek community feedback on a proposal to
construct new bike lanes in Wellington Street, Collingwood. This project
was identified as a key priority in Council's Bicycle Strategy, which
sets out to create five major separated on-road bicycle routes by 2013.
Council is proposing to construct 'Copenhagen' bike lanes in the section
of Wellington Street between Johnston Street and Victoria Street.
Copenhagen lanes are designed to physically separate cyclists and
motorists. Under Council's proposed plan, one side of the street would
be separated by a lane of parked cars and the other side would be
separated by a raised strip. A cross-section of the proposed lanes
appears below:
More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Parking-roads-and-transport/Current-projects/proposed-separated-bike-lanes-in-wellington-street/

*More works at busy North Carlton intersection this weekend (19-20 May
2012)*
Traffic diversions will be in place at the intersection of Canning and
Pigdon streets in North Carlton from this Saturday while road
improvement works are carried out. The works are expected to take two
weeks to complete, beginning with some excavation which is to be carried
out between 9.30am and 3pm on Saturday. Two speed humps will be
installed in Pigdon Street, while kerb extensions will be extended
further on the eastern, western and southern points of the roundabout. A
new kerb extension will also be constructed on the northern point of the
roundabout, cycle lanes on all four arms of the roundabout will be
re-marked, and new signage installed.
More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/hot-topics/more-works-planned-for-canning-pigdon-street-intersection-in-carlton-north-this-weekend/

*
Main Yarra Trail Reconstruction Project, Abbotsford*
News from Mark: The proposed construction commencement date and path
closure was going to be May 3. The sharp-witted/sharp-sighted among you
have noticed that the path is still open and the new alignment is being
pegged out by blokes in fluoro - please take care of those trusty and
brave fellows! The new news is that the Main Yarra Trail will defintely
be closed to pedestrians and bike riders from Monday May 14, between
Dights Falls and St Helliers Street (Farm & Convent) Abbotsford.
More at:
http://www.melbournecyclist.com/forum/topics/main-yarra-trail-reconstruction-project-abbotsford
Also here too:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Environment/Parks-and-reserves/Yarra-River/Main-Yarra-Trail/

*6. Cycling in the news*

*New Darebin Bicycle Advisory Committee - get involved*
Would you like to help to make cycling in Darebin more enjoyable,
convenient and safe? Darebin City Council is establishing a Darebin
Bicycle Advisory Committee (DBAC) to assist Council in improving
conditions for bike riders in the municipality. We are seeking
expressions of interest from people who live, work or study in Darebin.
More at: http://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/page/page.aspx?Page_id=6165

*The Age: Car doors and city streets a dangerous mix for cyclists*
More than 100 cyclists a year on average are being injured in crashes
involving car doors in the inner city, research has found.
More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/car-doors-and-city-streets-a-dangerous-mix-for-cyclists-20120506-1y76i.html

*The Conversation : Want safer cycling? Don't dismiss dooring*
Care and consideration make the road safer for everyone. Enforcing the
law helps too.
More at:
http://theconversation.edu.au/want-safer-cycling-dont-dismiss-dooring-6918

*ABC Corrections & Clarifications*
Correction: On May 7, the program interviewed Garry Brennan from Bicycle
Network Victoria about a campaign to increase fines for motorists who
open their car doors into the path of cyclists. After the interview we
suggested that cyclists should share some of the blame for 'dooring'
incidents. The law states that this is incorrect. In every 'dooring'
incident it is the fault of the person opening the door for not
exercising due care. More at: http://www.abc.net.au/news/corrections/

*The Age: Bike network expansion aims to solve city's black spots*
Riding your bike through the city could become easier and safer, with a
plan to expand Melbourne's bike path network to include several cycling
black spots, including La Trobe and Elizabeth streets. More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bike-network-expansion-aims-to-solve-citys-black-spots-20120509-1yd71.html

*Herald Sun: 40km/h speed limit to boost road safety in CBD*
The speed limit in Melbourne's central business district is to be cut to
40km/h. The City of Melbourne has set aside $350,000 to change speed
limit signs throughout the Golden Mile.
More at:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/kmh-speed-limit-set-to-drop-in-melbournes-cbd-to-boost-pedestrian-and-cyclist-safety/story-fn7x8me2-1226355244381

*7. Rides & Events*

Check the various options & calendars for upcoming rides & events:
http://www.yarrabug.org/events-and-rides/

*The Wheeler - Win a  Swann HD video camera*
What / where / how would you film with a video camera attached to your
bike / helmet? Let us explain. We are giving away a Swann HD video
camera for the best proposed storyline. So tell us in 50 words or less
what exactly you would film and you may just find this fine camera
attached to your handlebars. Post your response on The Wheeler wall
before 5pm May 31st. Winner announced Friday June 1. More at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Wheeler/124445487606929

*
The Sweet Cycle - Saturday 19 May 2012*
A cycling adventure in the glorious north-east. Calling all chaps,
dandies and bon vivants, join us for a weekend of cycling revelry and
high fashion in 'vintage' Rutherglen. Date: Saturday 19 May. Time: 11am
to approximately 4.00pm. Cost: $90 per person. For bookings -
info at rutherglenvic.com, (02)60 336306
More at:
http://www.rutherglenvic.com/events/majorevent_more.asp?majoreventID=37

*
DarebinBUG - Yum Cha Ride - Social Ride (Easy - Medium)*
Time: 9:30am, Jika Jika Community Centre, Northcote, Finish: 1:30pm,
Sunday 20th of May 2012
We will follow the Yarra and Koonung Creek shared paths to a Yum Cha
lunch at Box Hill (40 km return). Also an option of riding one-way to
Box Hill and then taking the train back after lunch. (Lunch usually
works at approx $20 pp.).Depart from Jika Jika Community Centre at 9.30
am. Contact Michael to book by Thursday 17th of May:
0419 130751, mike.hansford at bigpond.com
More at:
www.darebinbug.org.au/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121:special-april-and-beyond-rides&catid=36:bug-news

*Milawa Gourmet Pedal Ride - Sunday 20 May 2012*
Jump aboard this social bike ride along the sealed, off-road Rail Trail
from Wangaratta to Milawa. At ... 13kms, the ride is leisurely, while
long enough to work up an appetite! Cycle as a group, popping into
cellar doors, farm gates and providores until you reach Brown Brothers
Milawa Vineyard. Why not book ahead and reward yourself with a long
lunch at the Epicurean Centre? Cost FREE. Sun 20 May, 11am, START:
Wangaratta Softball Ground More at: www.murraytomountains.com.au PHONE:
1800 801 065

*
BFM Mushroom Ride - Saturday 26 May 2012*
Meet time: 9:00AM, Southern Cross station (TBC), Finish: 5:00PM
Come riding through the pine forests West of Melbourne to hunt culinary
mushrooms (The Saffron Milk Cap (Lactarius Delicious) and Slippery Jack
(Suillus Luteus)). An Experienced Mushroom Hunter(TM) will be present to
identify mushrooms for eating. Baskets are preferred for mushroom
storage to spread spore for future pickings. But panniers are OK too.If
weather and mushroom yield allow, we will stop to cook up some mushrooms
for lunch - bring some bread, and perhaps cheese (and maybe some dips in
case the mushrooms aren't showing).Something warm or warming to drink is
also advised. We will finish at Woodend for some drinks and food at the
Holgate Brewhouse, before getting the train back to Melbourne

*Yarra Riverkeepers: A Very Merri Bike Ride, Sunday 27 May 2012*
Join the Yarra Riverkeepers for a ride along Merri Creek , one of our
wonderful waterways. Ride starts at east end of Jukes Road, Fawkner
(Melways 18 A2) which is 1.8 km from Gowrie Station on the Upfield Line,
and ends at CERES, cnr Roberts & Stewart Sts, Brunswick. Total 11 km.
For details and registration, email Yarra Riverkeeper Ian at
info at yarrariver.org.au, phone 0409510766, or register here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/366590596711375/

--
Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond