[YarraBUG-list] September News update - Carlton Gardens issues + more

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Fri Sep 18 14:19:41 AEST 2009

*In this news update:
*

    * Latest YarraBUG Radio Podcast
    * Merri Creek Path - Clifton Hill Rail Project
    *  From City of Yarra - Closure: Shared user path adjacent to
      Burnley Golf course
    * News from City of Yarra: Blessing of the Bikes celebrates cycling
    * Cycling Tips: Hats Off To Wendy
    * The Age: Thieves pedal off with $42,000 bike haul
    * Pirate Picnic Ride
    * Ladies Who Leisure Bicycle Ride
    * Could you teach beginners to ride a bike?
    * Bicycle Swap Meet - Hosted by Vintage Cycle Club of Victoria at
      Abbotsford Cycles
    * 3CR walking tours at Melbourne Fringe
    * Across the nation for organ donation - Perth to Melbourne by
      bicycle for organ donation

*

**1. Latest YarraBUG Radio Podcast: *interview with Nik Dow, re Carlton
Gardens issues:
This week Val and Chris speak to Nik Dow about cyclists being fined by
City of Melbourne rangers and the police for riding through Carlton Gardens.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=376

*2. Merri Creek Path - Clifton Hill Rail Project:* The section of the
Merri Creek path linking the Rushall station precinct to Fairfield Park
under the railway line and Heidelberg Road has re-opened following
redevelopment. The path has been closed for a year because of the
Clifton Hill rail duplication project. There's now a path connection to
the playing fields on Heidelberg Rd.

*3. From City of Yarra - Closure: Shared user path adjacent to Burnley
Golf course*
Heads up from City of Yarra - The Survey Paddock Trail, between Kevin
Bartlett Reserve and Twickenham Crescent, Richmond (Melways ref: 2H, J12
& K12) will soon be disrupted for two to three weeks from the end of
August due to work on the Southern Link Upgrade Project. The Survey
Paddock Trail is mostly used by commuter cyclists that use the Heyington
Bridge to Toorak. The South Link Upgrade (SLU) project is in the process
of reinstating the shared user path immediately adjacent to the Burnley
golf course. As part of these SLU will replace parts of the damaged
fence adjacent to the freeway and lay asphalt over the existing path.
These works are in progress and will take anywhere between 2 to 3 weeks
to complete.

*4. News from City of Yarra: Blessing of the Bikes celebrates cycling *
Edinburgh Gardens will play host to hundreds of cyclists and their bikes
when Yarra's second annual Blessing of the Bikes is held on Sunday 4
October. Yarra Mayor Cr Amanda Stone said the event was a celebration of
cycling, with blessings from a number of faiths. Jointly organised by
Yarra City Council and the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne, the event will
be held in the gardens, near the rotunda in St Georges Road, from
12pm-1pm. "Yarra has the highest rate of cycling of any Victorian
municipality, so it makes sense that we would be home to this
celebration of all things cycling," Cr Stone said.
"All cyclists and bicycle enthusiasts, including serious riders and
families with children on tag-alongs and tricycles, are welcome to enjoy
an hour relaxing in the park," she said.
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/publications/media%20releases/blessing%20of%20th%20bikes.asp

*5. Cycling Tips: Hats Off To Wendy*
 >From Cycling Tips blog: A couple weeks ago you might remember this
post where Herald Sun columnist Wendy Hargreaves rubbed many thousands
of cyclists the wrong way. Well on Friday Wendy took me up on the
challenge of stepping into our shoes for a morning and go for a ride
with a few of us.
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/09/hats-off-to-wendy/

*6. The Age: Thieves pedal off with $42,000 bike haul*
A cycling team lost $42,000 of cycling equipment when the team's minibus
was burgled in the inner Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy. The goods were
stolen from the minibus, which was parked in Young Street, sometime
between 12.20am and 6am last Monday, police said. Please contact
Victoria Police if you know anything regarding the theft or whereabouts
of this cycling equipment
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-national/thieves-pedal-off-with-42000-bike-haul-20090907-fed3.html

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=2

*7. Pirate Picnic Ride [BFM]* Sat 19 Sep 12:00 -- Sat 19 Sep 15:00. Meet
at IMAX Carlton. It's International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Let's dress
like pirates and ride to Port Phillip to enjoy a picnic. Bring fish
dishes, fish snacks, fish stories & rum drinks.Meet 12 noon at iMAX
Rathdowne St Carlton. Organiser X-Rider:  0417 145 375

*8. Ladies Who Leisure Bicycle Ride* - Sun, 20 September, 13:00 --
16:00:Rotunda in Edinburgh Gardens. A short and sweet leisurely ride for
the ladies ... Sunday 20th September 1pm at the Rotunda in the Edinburgh
Gardens. The ride is less than 10km with a coffee stop & all bicycles
are welcome! Contact Casey Moira for more details Musstuppence[AT]gmail.com

*9. Bicycle Swap Meet - Hosted by Vintage Cycle Club of Vic - Saturday
24 October 2009*
BRING, BUY, SWAP, SELL - precious bicycle junk, 9 am - 1pm, Rear of
Abbotsford Cycles, 27 Swan St, Richmond (under the station)
- Sellers set up,  8 - 9 am   $10 fee
- Browsers & buyers, 9 - 1 pm   $gold coin donation. A few trestle
tables will be available on first come first served basis, but if
possible BYO. Interested sellers should register with
Charlie:farren at vicnet.net.au or tel 9827 4453. Please circulate this
information

*10. Could you teach beginners to ride a bike?*
 >From Jika Jika Community Centre: The Jika Jika Community Centre (in
Northcote) runs a program called 'Learn to Ride from Scratch', in which
trained volunteers teach absolute beginners of all ages (usually adults)
the basics of riding a bike. The program is currently looking for new
tutors, and I thought some of you might be interested. I've been
tutoring in the program for a couple of years now and recommend it very
highly -- watching someone pedal for the first time is an incredibly
exciting feeling, and is a very practical way to share the love of bike
riding with people who otherwise might not experience it. So far my
students have ranged from people in their late teens/early twenties, to
women in their 60s.

Each learner receives 3 separate one-on-one sessions with a volunteer
tutor. Tutors let Jika Jika know when they are available, and Jika Jika
then pairs them with students accordingly. Volunteers will receive
training in the program's teaching method. If you are interested in
getting involved, please contact Max Sargeant on 9482 5100 or email
max[AT]jikajika.org.au

*
11. 3CR walking tours at Melbourne Fringe*
3CR launches into the Melbourne Fringe Festival (23 September - 11
October) with our very own events! Join a People's Tour and discover
some of Melbourne's hidden histories with these uniquely personal tours,
on every Sunday of Fringe. The FREE launch is Saturday 26 September with
Tour #1 A musician's life with Irine Vela: Horse Bazaar, 397 Little
Lonsdale St, City. Tour #2 is 3CR's own Tom Sevil with Carlton's lesser
known street art histories: Sunday 27 September 1 - 2.30 pm, meet at
Readings bookshop. Tickets for Tom's tour are $10: buy tickets at
Melbourne Fringe Festival website.For more information and Walking Tour
FAQs, visit http://peoplestour.net

*
12. Across the nation for organ donation - Perth to Melbourne by bicycle
for organ donation*
East Brunswick bike mechanic Tyrone McCarroll and Geelong
physiotherapist John Collingwood will ride their bicycles from Perth to
Melbourne to raise awareness of organ donation. The pair, both 26 years
old, will fly to Perth on Friday 18 September, taking 28 days to ride
back to Melbourne averaging 120km each day. The ride is something that
friends John and Tyrone have been keen to undertake since growing up
together in Shepparton but the cause was decided when a friend went on
the waiting list to receive a lung and heart transplant at 31 years old.
John said that he'd been surprised to discover that you are more likely
to need an organ than to donate one.

"Australia's organ donation rate is one of the lowest in the advanced
world with 12 donors per million of population, and we hope this ride
will go some way to helping change that," he said. "We are encouraging
people to speak to their families about their intention to donate their
organs, a message that we will take with us over the 3500km trip." The
friends feel well prepared to tackle the journey as both are avid
cyclists and bring different skills to the journey. "We figure that as a
physio, John is well equipped to look after our bodies and I will be
able to manage all the bicycle mechanics," Tyrone said. Tyrone is a
full-time bike mechanic at My Mountain store on Lygon Street who have
generously supported the ride.They have posted almost 30kg of food to
roadhouses along the Nullarbor and will plan to carry up to 12 litres of
water each during the ride.

John and Tyrone will take the most direct route from Perth to Melbourne
heading to Norseman, across the Nullarbor, Adelaide and into Melbourne.
It is expected the pair will arrive in Brunswick on 17 October.John and
Tyrone's progress can be followed on Facebook with a page listed as
'Across the nation for organ donation'. More information about organ
donation can be found at www.organdonor.com.au/.
John can be contacted on 0422 968 456 and Tyrone on 0419 435 619.

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond