[YarraBUG-list] Yarra Bicycle Users Group: June Newsletter 2009

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Wed Jun 10 00:50:24 AEST 2009

*
In this months **absolutely chockas **June newsletter:*

    * City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee
    * YarraBUG Advocacy Committee
    * BUG Activities Committee
    * 3CR Radiothon - People Powered Radio!
    * Radio for Kids on 3CR - Kids talk about bike riding
    * Police cracking down on bicycle infringements around Melbourne
    * Cycling & Transport News
    * Rides, Courses and Events

*
1. **City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) **- 10 June 2009*
Apologies for the late notice, as we only received the news Tuesday
afternoon! Location: Richmond Town Hall, 333 Bridge Road, 6.30pm-
7:30pm, Councillors Lounge 1
Please contact Jane Waldock (Manager Strategic Transport) whether you
plan to attend. Ph: 9205 5733 email: Jane.WaldockATyarracity.vic.gov.au

The agenda includes items for a new focus for the BAC, developing
specific strategies and objectives for BAC, initial ideas, promote
compliant and safe cycling, addressing non-compliant motorists,
safe night and winter riding and an update on the Yarra Bicycle Strategy.

Please attend this meeting on Wednesday evening if you can, as the BUG
is forming a new Advocacy Commitee (see below) and as Richard Smithers
is no longer Transport Coordinator  at the City of Yarra, we all need to
keep support for cycling issues strongly on the agenda with the City of
Yarra.

BAC Agenda June 10:
http://www.yarrabug.org/docs/Agenda_10_June_2009.pdf

*
2. YarraBUG Advocacy Committee*
As mentioned in our May newsletter, the BUG is forming a new Advocacy
Committee and we want to know your thoughts and feedback about issues
and ideas that interest and concern you. We want to hear from riders who
travel, work and especially cycle through the suburbs of Abbotsford,
Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North, Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood,
Fairfield, Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill and Richmond.

Cycling encompasses many aspects, including cycling for transport,
cycling for recreation, cycling for sport and sustainable transport when
mixed with other modes like public transport. Is there a local road
issue you want something done about? Are there sustainable transport
issues that concern you? Are you interested in writing submissions and
correspondence to help cycling become even more popular and accessible?
If this interests you please contact us at YarraBUG,
enquiries at yarrabug.org or send a note via our contact page:
http://www.yarrabug.org/contact-us/

*3. BUG Activities Committee*
Want to help getting more BUG activities organised? Obviously we're
stretched pretty thin at the moment, but if you're more interested in
activities for example such as beginners rides, bicycle maintenance,
training rides, themed rides, cycle tours, coffee rides, car-sharing to
rides outside Melbourne, shop rides and generally any fun stuff
involving bikes and cycling, then let us know!
Again, if this interests you please contact us at YarraBUG,
enquiries at yarrabug.org or send a note via our contact page:
http://www.yarrabug.org/contact-us

*4. **Support YarraBUG Radio during 3CRs Radiothon** - People Powered
Radio!*
It's 3CR Community Radio's annual Radiothon! Donate to 3CR so they can
reach $210 000. 3CR has been broadcasting radio for the people, by the
people since 1976 with the support of the people.  Call 3CR today (03
9419 8377) or donate online:

Community Radio 3CR Donor Drive:
http://www.ourcommunity.com.au/giving/appeal_details.form?appealId=297

Donate by June 14 and please state that your pledge is for ***YarraBUG
Radio***, so you can go into our draw for 6 great prize packs which
include the following:

- Three "Six Six One" skater style helmets - these have foam inserts for
3 sizes.
- Two Infini lights (front & rear)
- Five Easyfit BBB bells -these lights & bells are wrap around ones &
don't require mountings.
- 10 x puncture repairs kits
- 2 bags of plastic bicycle pins, each bag contains 12 cute little
multi-coloured pins.
- 2 sets of six CPF cycling posters
- Six North East Valley ride guides and vouchers worth $400

Radiothon prizes donated by Abbotsford Cycles, Human Powered Cycles,
Cycling Promotion Fund & North East Valleys Victoria.

*Listen to recent YarraBUG Radio shows*

Monday June 8th, 2009
On this weeks 3CR People Powered Radiothon edition, Sonya, Emelia, Steve
& Chris chat about the great prize giveaways we have for Radiothon
donors to this week's show.  See below for details for the YarraBUG
Radiothon prize draw! We also talk about our weeks bike moments, Sonya
interviews Janet Rice and Sean Murray about the amazing "Mega Bike" (or
Bike-o-saurus) and we preview upcoming bicycle & transport events.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=282

Monday June 1st, 2009
On this weeks podcast, Rob and Val discuss "The Collectors" Early Bikes
show from ABCTV and Charlie and Paul Farren's collection of pre-1900's
bicycles and velocipedes. We also visit, the latest trendy Cargo Bikes,
the 100th Anniversary Giro d'Italia wrap-up, recent CBD police action on
pedestrian and bicycle law enforcements and the latest on news and events.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=274

Monday May 25th, 2009
This week Steve and Chris discuss the recent police "blitz" on cyclists
in the CBD and do a recap on the Blessing of the Bicycles from October 2008.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=268

*

5. Radio for Kids on 3CR - Kids talk about bike riding*
In this podcast from May 10 - Kids talk about bike riding. Radio for
Kids is broadcast on the last Wednesday 3CR Breakfast Program of each
month at 8.20am The focus of Radio for Kids is to interview young people
from primary age to their mid teens, with a belief that kids are very
socially aware and can often be asked questions that would be asked to
adults.
More details & listen to the podcast: http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=249

*

6. Police cracking down on** bicycle infringements around Melbourne*
 From Rob: Police are continuing bicycle infringements around Melbourne
& Victoria - so be warned! Put bluntly, police are checking bikes for
warning devices, lights, reflectors, helmets
Rob had a chat with a senior officer from the Police Bicycle Unit
recently at VicPol HQ, basically they are seeking simple compliance with
what are very basic road rules for cyclists. Police accept that across
all road users compliance is not great, as evidenced in the stats, but
the infringements issued are tiny in the scheme of motorists,
pedestrians and cyclist operating across the city and suburbs.

The bottom line is they are seeking cooperation in close quarters in the
CBD, especially around the high pedestrian cyclist precincts. But what
will be/is being rolled out across the MTMU is infringements to riders
who are on bicycles that are non-compliant, so don't say you haven't
been warned if you dont have an effective brake or as warning device
(bell or horn) or a rear reflector for daylight riding, and lights front
and rear for low light conditions (night, tunnels, solar eclipse!)
Basically lights are not just for night, its for when illumination is
necessary. Also when on shared paths and mixed precincts please WARN all
peds of your presence with a ring/honk, before overtaking them. Put
simply, the police are frowning upon 'stealth ninja riding tactics'  and
it will cost you money, if not worse.

Victorian Police News: Results for city blitz. Friday,15 May 2009 8:19pm
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/376-results-for-city-blitz.html

550 penalty notices over four days:
392 pedestrians: On the spot $57 fines
93 motorcyclists: Various offences. Fines range from $57 to $227.
72 cyclists: $227 on-the-spot fine for riding through a red light.

Further discussion on Melbourne Cyclist:
http://www.melbournecyclist.com/profiles/blogs/victoria-police-now-handing*

**
7. Cycling & Transport News

*
*The Collectors ABC1 TV: Early Bikes 29 May 2009*
 From The Collectors: Paul Farren says he and his wife Charlie probably
have 85% of the pre -1900s bicycles in Australia, and all under one
roof. Thirty years of hunting them down and collecting has resulted in
one of the top 10 early bike collections in the world - it includes 160
pre-1900 bicycles, some post-1900 bikes, tricycles, hobby horses, and
penny farthings.

Watch the segment on either the ABC or Melbourne Cyclist:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s2585043.htm
http://www.melbournecyclist.com/video/the-collectors-abc1-early

*
Bike Radar: Two-wheeled solution to London's Tube strike chaos (9 June
2009)*
A Tube strike due to start this afternoon could encourage more commuters
in London to cycle to work. At least that's the hope of the London
Cycling Campaign (LCC), who have set up a Bike the Strike website with
recommended cycling routes from various boroughs to central London.
More:
http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/two-wheeled-solution-to-londons-tube-strike-chaos-21926

*The Age: Foldable bike wins design award (30 May 2009)*
About the time Robert Dumaresq was choosing his project for the final
year of his industrial design degree, Melbourne commuters were being
banned from carrying bikes on trains during rush hours.
The controversial ban was reversed but the issue inspired the then
22-year-old Monash University student to create what he now calls the
"switch commuter bike" --- a high-performance bike that folds into the
footprint of just one wheel.
More:
http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/culture/foldable-bike-wins-design-award-20090601-bsio.html

*Metlink: Bikes and public transport*
Re-visiting the bicycles-on-train topic for a moment, Metlink have
recently updated this information:
This page provides information to help you get around safely and easily
when combining bike riding with public transport travel.
More:
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/using-public-transport/bikes-and-public-transport/

*
Bicycle Federation of Australia: May Newsletter
*http://www.bfa.asn.au/emaillist/?IntCatId=31&IntContId=7724
*
Going Solar: Transport Newsletters*
http://www.goingsolar.com.au/php/div_transport.php
*

8. Rides, Courses and Events*

*
Also see our combined Rides and Events calendar:*
http://www.yarrabug.org/events-and-rides/

*Human Powered Cycles Training - Bike maintenance training calendar*
The registration fee for regular introductory and intermediate training
sessions all include a copy of Save My Bike: A Beginner's Guide to Bike
Maintenance (Jordan Wilson and Chris Southwood, 2007). More details:
http://www.humanpowered.com.au/tiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=309

*Bicycle Music Festival in Australia?*
Kristen on Melbourne Cyclist asks - " ... Hi, wondering if there are any
people on Melbourne Cyclist who'd like a Bicycle Music Festival to start
up in Victoria. If so please join the Melbourne Cyclist 'Bicycle Music
Festival' Group. Also....if you're a musician (amateur or pro) who rides
a bicycle , please let me know. Ideas and comments are welcome ...." So
if you're interested either join the Music Festival Group on Melb
Cyclist: www.melbournecyclist.com

*Crohn's Crusaders: the ride of their lives*
We've all watched our Tour de France heroes on TV and marvelled at their
amazing feats of endurance and super-human aerobic capacity. But, is it
possible for a normal everyday person to complete the course? That's the
challenge facing Damian Watson, a normal everyday guy from Melbourne,
attempting to tackle the entire 2009 course to see if it is possible for
a normal person to conquer. Along the way Damian will raise funds and
awareness for Crohn's and Colitis Australia (CCA).
Support Damian and his great ride: http://www.thecrusaders.com.au

*DoubleOhTwo presents "Hot Ride" at Kick Gallery - Runs to June 13*
Love bicycles? Love bicycles as art? Then get along to Kick Gallery -
239 High Street, Northcote,  Open Wednesday - Friday from 11am to 7pm,
Saturday from Noon to 5pm
DoubleOhTwo was the artists number when he worked as a bicycle messenger
in Sydney from 1995 to 2002.
DoubleOhTwo blog: http://ohoh2.blogspot.com/
Kick Gallery: http://www.kickgallery.com/

*National Climate Emergency Rally - 1pm, Saturday, June 13
*State Library, Melbourne (march to Treasury Gardens) 6 months to
Copenhagen and a crucial vote on the Carbon Pollution Law in Senate. Now
is the time to show you care. Speakers and entertainment includes: Peter
Marshall - United Firefighters Union, Emeretta Cross -Tuvaluan climate
activist, David Spratt - author Climate Code Red, Greens leader Senator
Bob Brown, Rod Quantock - Melbourne comedian and Taegen Edwards - Yarra
Climate Action Now. Music by Melting Pot. Bring noise making instruments
if you can. Please tell your family, friends and workmates.
Download a leaflet http://www.climateactioncentre.org/junerally

*Bicycle Swap Meet - June 14*
MTB, Road, Track, BMX, Fixed, Retro, Antique, anything on 2 wheels. Have
faith, come gather with fellow worshippers and purge the sin of hoarding
parts you will never use, and fill yourself with the love of new ones
for your next bicycle project. Sellers: 9am, Buyers: 10am. Cost: Free
for buyers / $5 for sellers Where: 25 Easey St, Collingwood
More at: http://www.fyxomatosis.com

*Trailmix Social Rides - Lysterfield Park: Women's Social Ride (MTB) -
Sunday June 14 at 9am. *
Meet at shop for an hour ride. Tuesday night ride - leave at 6.30pm from
Trailmix. All welcome. Ride for about an hour. Riding now using lights!
Trailmix: Lysterfield Park, you can find Trailmix lakeside in-between
the Horswood Rd entrance and the dam wall. Ph: (03) 8790 4402, E:
rob at trailmix.com.auMore information:
http://www.trailmix.com.au/catalogue/news/social_rides

*My Mountain MTB Shop Ride - 14 June*
My Mountain are having another shop ride along on Yarra River on the
14th of June. Meeting @ My Mountain 398 Lygon Street, Brunswick East,
9.30am for a 10am start, rolling down to the Yarra flats. They will be
riding till 1.30pm and stopping for a drink and chat at the Fairfield
Boathouse afterwards. All levels will be catered for, the ride will be
breaking into small groups so everyone is of all of the same abillity.
This is open to all levels of riders so feel free to bring along a
friend for a MTB ride with a great bunch of friends

*Amy Gillett Foundation Fundraiser: Warm up for the Tour de France -
June 18*
Get your cycling mates together to share a night in celebrating good
food, good culture and the upcoming Tour De France! Held at Cinema Nova,
guests will be treated to a pre Tour de France party with special
appearance by cycling legend Phil Anderson prior to the screening of the
film "Hell on Wheels". Each guest attending this event will
automatically go into the draw to win one out of three cycling jerseys
provided by Brunetti, The Adventure Travel Company, and Italian
Immersions as well as receive a co-memorable gift bag filled with edible
delights and cycling gear. Brunetti is proud to support the Amy Gillett
foundation by donating profits raised through this event.

The Amy Gillett Foundation is a Road Safety related charity aimed to
promote awareness and safety between motorists and cyclists.

Date : Thursday 18th June 2009, Time : 7:00pm, Location: Cinema Nova,
380 Lygon Street, Carlton. Price : $30.00 Includes light snacks, gift
bag, automatic entry into prize draw. More information contact:
Stephanie De Francesco: (03) 9347 2801, Email: stephanie at brunetti.com.au

*Geelong Full Moon Bike Ride - 20th June*
The Geelong Full Moon Bike Rides Board of Directors has decreed that
this months' ride should encompass the winter solstice on Saturday the
20th June. The ride takes in quiet back streets, parklands and the
Barwon & Moorabool River trails. We meet at 6pm at Cafe 9 Zero at 90
Pakington St, Geelong West. The ride should conclude about 10.30pm.
More information can be found at: www.myspace.com/fullmoonbikeridesgeelong

*
BikeFun Melbourne Winter Solstice Ride - 20th June*
Meet at IMAX at 8pm. A friendly ride to a (semi) secret location and
bonfire!  Bring: A piece of wood! water, some snacks to share & warm
clothes. We will stop on the way for a drink and to gather supplies. A
trailer would be handy too, if you have one.  All welcome!  Please pass
this invite on...   PLUS! As a special addition this year, the good
people from WUCW have officially endorsed this as a franchised event.
So... bring a tent & wake up to the sound of container ships!
http://www.bikefun.org/
*

Zero Carbon Australia 2020 Project*
How do we achieve zero carbon in 10 years and how do we make the
policymakers sit up and pay attention? To find out, join one of our
working groups (including transport) and be at the forefront of climate
change science, solutions and policy in Australia.April - November 2009
Venue: Kindness House, 288 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. More Info: Email
elena.mcmaster at gmail.com or call 04095 03163 for details of working
group meetings and to register.

*Ride2Power - 24th June*
Ride2Power is a bike journey from Melbourne to Power Shift in Sydney
through not only the amazing Australia countryside but also their minds,
bodies and souls. Along the way they will meet with people from all
walks of life and hear the stories that make the Power Shift mission all
the more poignant. Spanning over 18 days and 950 kilometres, they will
meet and chat with Power Shifters in many inland centres to gauge the
levels of concern and awareness for the government's carbon emission
goals. They will meet with politicians, activists and the general
public. If you'd like wish a bon voyage to Michael Crowe and the team
when they leave Melbourne on 23 June, please contact him at:
crowy23 at hotmail.com.
More information at: http://www.youthclimatecoalition.org

*Whittlesea Challenge - 29th August*
The Whittlesea Challenge will take place again on Saturday 29th August.
Building on the success of last year's inaugural event this year's event
will see a number of improvements and additions sure to make it an even
bigger and better event. Entries open soon so keep your eye on
http://www.cyclosportifvic.com.au/ for further details.

*2nd Annual Canberra Vintage & Classic Bicycle Ride - 20th September*
A great opportunity for owners of, and those interested in, old bicycles
(pre 1985) to meet and ride around a 7km section of Canberra's
picturesque Lake Burley Griffin. Enjoy a great day of viewing old
cycles, talking with other enthusiasts and a leisurely ride around your
Capitals famous lake in springtime bloom. Registration forms available
from; Trevor Shone, Email address; fasifern at bigpond.com.au or Phone 0418
619 831

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group Inc.