[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG May-June News

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Tue May 20 23:58:39 AEST 2008

Hi all,

We seemed to have completely bypassed or idly misplaced the month of
April and headed straight into May! Oh well, without further ado, here's
a news update for May-June. If you have news items, rides and
local/bicycle themed events, please email us to get them included in the
YarraBUG newsletters.

cheers,

Chris

***

In this months thrilling edition:

- YarraBUG Meeting - 25th May
- YarraBUG show on 3CR
- BikeForce Richmond; May Bike Servicing Specials
- Melbourne Ride of Silence - 24th May
- Vintage Cycle Club Swap Meet - 24 May
- Maintenance Training at Human Powered Cycles
- Capital City trail - new alignment Nicholson St (ex - Video Ezy site)
- Boroondara Council to vote on Darebin Creek - Yarra Trail link 2nd June
- Winter Wonderland - World Naked Bike Ride - Melbourne 6 June
- Bicycles for Democracy

1. YarraBUG Meeting - 25th May
Our next meeting is this Sunday, 2pm, 25th May at The Queens - Q Cafe,
304 Queens Parade Clifton Hill. For humanitarian reasons the next
meeting will be held *inside* the cafe, as those present at the previous
April meeting are still probably thawing out. Agenda topics include
YarraBUG response to the East West Link Needs Assessment, input into the
Capital Trail realignment (see below) and the YarraBUG/3CR radio show
and general business.

2. YarraBUG show on 3CR
Our six volunteers are just about to commence announcer training at 3CR.
However we still require a name for the show that's more interesting
than simply calling it "The Bicycle Show". Can you think of a witty,
catchy name for the show? As a incentive the best suggestion could win a
prize. It's a nice prize, not too shabby, so get those thinking caps on!
Email your suggestions to: enquiries at yarrabug.org

3. BikeForce Richmond:May Bike Servicing Specials
>From Alistair Walker: BikeForce Richmond currently is offering May Bike
servicing Specials. 20% off the standard service ($55.00) and 10% off
any new parts or accessories installed during the service. If any of
your club members are interested please pass on my details. Contact
Alistair Walker, BikeForce Richmond. 53-55 Burnley Street, Richmond Vic
3121. Ph: 9429 6858 Email:richmondATbikeforce.com.au
More:http://www.bikeforce.com.au/stores/richmond-rides.htm

4. Melbourne Ride of Silence - 24th May
Join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ride (max. 20 kph) in
honour of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public
roadways. Rides are planned for Sydney, Bowral, Bendigo, Canberra,
Melbourne, Mount Isa, Townsville and Adelaide. Melbourne,meet Saturday,
May 24, 2008, 10:00am at Federation Square, Corner Swanston and Flinders
Streets. This will be the fourth Ride of Silence to be held in Melbourne.

Ride Protocols:
No talking on the ride unless necessary. Riders can wear black or red
arm bands to denote a fallen friend or injury. Please ride no more than
two abreast and as per normal road rules. This will be the safest way
through all intersections while on the ride route. Please follow all
requests from police and traffic authorities. This ride is neither a
bunch ride or Critical Mass, do not block intersections and be courteous
and polite to all other road users and pedestrians. If any conflict
arises, remain neutral, take details if necessary, do not esclate any
situations and take care of each other.

Ride route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Draft-24th-May-2008
Ride of Silence Australia 2008 - promotional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ALyKUtcaKI
Ride of Silence International: http://www.rideofsilence.org

5. Vintage Cycle Club Swap Meet - 24 May
After the Ride of Silence a couple of us will be heading off to a swap
meet, hosted by the Vintage Cycle Club of Victoria. Details:Saturday 24
May 2008. Bring, Buy, Swap, Sell precious old bicycle parts. 10am - 3pm
- rear of Abbotsford Cycles, 27 Swan St, Richmond (under the station).
Sellers Set up: 9-10am $10 fee. Browsers and Buyers:10-3pm $ Gold coin
donation for entry. A few trestle tables will be available on first come
first served basis, but if possibly BYO. Interested sellers should
register with Charlie:- farrenATvicnet.net.au or tel 9827 4453
More: http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/public/content/view/133/29/

6. Capital City Trail - new alignment Nicholson St (ex - Video Ezy site)
Message from Nicholas Elliot, Moreland Council Transport Projects
Officer, regarding a particular section of the Capital City trail much
beloved by inner suburbs cyclists who use it:

Path alignment proposed - note galvanised fence on west approach to
Nicholson so cyclists can use as a handrail while they wait for lights
and to promote separation of path and other uses.Also note that the
existing concrete pad will have to be excavated where the bike path
crosses it to account for level differences.

Cyclists exiting road crossing on west side can cycle off the path,
using triangular shaped corner of existing pad, which will be
re-constructed in concrete and not landscaped as symbol indicates. This
and the extended handrail/fence should help with crowding in peak hours.

PDF of plan: (408kb):
http://www.yarrabug.org/wp-content/parknichbwkpln.pdf

This alignment will be on the agenda for next Moreland BUG meeting.
Council has decided to move ahead with construction rather than wait for
the new leasee to move in and do it. Any comments back to me via email
or at Thursday's meeting.
Email Nicholas Elliot: nelliotATmoreland.vic.gov.au Ph: 9240 1294

7. Maintenance Training at Human Powered Cycles
Want to know more about fixing and maintaining your bicycle? Read here
for HPC's training schedule for Beginners, Intermediate and Custom classes:
http://www.humanpowered.com.au/tiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=103#Maintenance_Training_at_Human_Powered_Cycles

Download training schedule flier:
http://www.humanpowered.com.au/tiki/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=22

8. Boroondara Council to vote on Darebin Creek - Yarra Trail link 2nd June
>From Julia at BoroondaraBUG: On Monday 2nd June, at 8pm, the Urban
Planning Special Committee of Boroondara Council will be meeting to
decide whether to issue the Planning Permit to Parks Victoria for the
long awaited bridge to link the Darebin Creek Path to the Yarra Trail.
It is important for Boroondara residents and others who support the link
to attend this meeting and to make submissions. We anticipate that many
opponents of the link will be present and making their presence felt, so
we need to demonstrate the amount of support that exists as well. For
details on how to go about making a submission and other matters related
to council meeting procedures see:

http://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/council/meetings_agendas#1857

You may like to identify yourself as a cyclist, eg by having a bike
helmet under your arm or some such! Another useful thing Boroondara
residents can do if you haven't already done so is to contact your local
ward councillor and let him/her know that you support the link and why.
Councillors will have received the Planning Department's Darebin Bridge
Report last Friday so can now make a fully informed decision.

This report is also available to the public though I can't trace it on the
web site as yet. If speaking with councillors, please remind them that
Yarra and Banyule Councils are comfortable with the ParksVic application
and are letting planning staff sign it off. This effectively rules out
the 'Let's find an alternative route' position.

9. Winter Wonderland - World Naked Bike Ride - Melbourne 6 June
Feeling *very* brave? Well you can test your levels of braveness with a
bracing, brisk winter ride with no thermals ..

>From Heidi: Winter Wonderland - World Naked Bike Ride - Melbourne 6
June. Time: 7pm. Where: Meet at the Union Club Hotel(cnr Web & Gore Sts)
Fitzroy. The WNBR is an annual clothing-optional protest ride for
naturism, environmentalism, peace and the rights of cyclists to use the
road safely.
WNBR Wiki Information Website:
http://nakedwiki.org/index.php?title=Melbourne
Poster / flyer: http://nakedwiki.org/images/3/3a/Melbourne_Winter_2008.JPG
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6162103414
Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=13605951683&ref=share
Yahoo! discussion group:

10. Bicycles for Democracy
>From Fiona in Sydney: Bicycles for Democracy supports women elected to
local and state government in Cambodia primarily aimed at building
stronger partnerships between elected women and their constituencies in
rural Cambodia.The project is also designed to support worldwide gender
equity through local governments, to nourish local democratic processes
that recognise social inclusion and citizens rights to participation and
to nurture the quality and legitimacy of women's decision making in that
process.

Since 1992 over 5000 women have received training in the skills needed
to run for election and to govern once elected to local or state
government in Cambodia. Nanda travels across the country every week
mentoring elected women in the sorts of problems they encounter and the
decisions needed to resolve them for their local communes.

Many of these  women live and work in remote, rural communities and
their constituents are spread quite far apart so getting to visit them is
often challenging and time consuming. There is a huge need for these
bicycles to help increase the participation of women in local government
which in turn improves gender equity, decision making for communities and
democratic governance through peaceful means. Your one-off donation of
$A80.00 will purchase one bicycle for an elected woman in Cambodia and
help make her job representing her community so much easier to do.

Donate $80 to UNIFEM to purchase a bicycle for an elected woman in
Cambodia and help make her job representing her community easier.Deposit
$80 into account name: UNIFEM Australia, Westpac, Gordon Branch, BSB 032
083, account 227 345. Send an email to Rosemary Derwin the UNIFEM
Australia Treasurer: treasurerATunifem.org.au to let her know and she
will send you a receipt for your donation.

More at: http://www.unifem.org.au/node/44

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group Inc.
PO Box 253