[YarraBUG-list] March Bikefun (and CM Friday 29/2)

Nicholas Dow nik at nikdow.net
Thu Feb 28 21:47:55 AEDT 2008

Bike Fun Melbourne presents...

*** February/March BikeFun ***

Critical Mass - Friday 29th of February
5:30PM - State Library
Last Friday every month: Ride, represent, party.
Come and enjoy the party on (2) wheels.
organiser: you

Goatage - Friday 7th of March - 6pm to 10pm
Mountain Goat Brewery
Warehouse 1, 18 River Street Richmond. Entrance is on North Street just by the
corner of Clarke St. Goat Management allows your trusty bike to be parked
inside the premises & the doorbloke is very nice.
Organiser: hijustmepete

World Naked Bike Ride Melbourne - Sunday 9th of March - 4pm
Edinburgh Gardens in North Fitzroy at the Rotunda. Please help make this
year's
ride unforgettable.....The ride takes place in cities all over the world
(London, Milan, Seattle, Sydney...etc) with hundreds of riders participating
and protesting...it is a beautiful way to be seen and heard and such a
delightful enriching experience and the perfect opportunity to BE THE CHANGE
WE
ARE HOPING FOR. Let them know we care by being vulnerable....a truly blissful
peaceful way to show the world we care.THE WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE (WNBR) is an
international clothing-optional bike ride in which participants plan, meet and
ride together en masse on human-powered transport (the vast majority on
bicycles, and fewer on skateboards, rollerblades, roller skates) to "protest
oil dependency and celebrate the power and individuality of our bodies".[1] We
face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our
dignity and exposing the unique dangers faced by cyclists and pedestrians plus
all the negative effects of oil, cars, war, consumerism and non-renewable
energy.  I could use the help as if we get 200 riders down Brunswick street I
will need the help of experienced riders. Please come and join in the peaceful
yet exhilirating experience.

Organiser: Heidi Hill
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldNakedBikeRideMelbourne/

Full Moon ride - Thursday 20th of March (Maundy Thursday)
Gardners Creek
Catch the 7:20p.m. train from Flinders St and meet at Blackburn Station at
8:00.  Thats 33 hours before full moon, and moonrise is at 7:25p.m.
Organiser: Brunswick Bike Boy

VeloRock 2008 - Saturday 29th of March - 2pm
Venue: Brunswick Velodrome
Come and see the LuckSmiths, Midstate Orange and other Melbourne indie bands
at
the Brunswick Velodrome.
VeloRock is special because all the bands and their equipment will be
transported to the venue by bicycle!
It will be a demonstration of the unrealised utility of the bicycle and human
power.
Entry FREE!
Get involved: bike trailers and pullers needed. Stay tuned to
http://www.velorock.net/
Organisers: Mr Wheels, the ISP and the bands

Beach Ride - one hot night in Feb/Mar - register for date
Date TBA (hot weather required) - Join the bicycle beach party as we ride to
the sea for a swim and fish 'n' chips on a hot summer night. But because we
don't know the weather in advance, we can't set the date. So you need to email
your mobile phone number to beachriders at gmail.com or SMS "Beach" to 0439 88 00
93. Then when a hot night (over 25 degrees) is forecast in the next few days,
you will be sent an SMS giving the time (evening) & place (CBD) for the ride
start.  If you already registered this year, no need to register again.

Thursdays - Bike Polo! [BFM]
On Thursday night we are currently at Northcote 6pm to dark - Hawthorn Rd off
High St behind the Northcote Club Hotel.
Bring a bike, beverage and yourself. Mallets and ball provided.

Sundays - Bike Polo! [BFM]
Bicycle Polo in the (car)Park, 2pm til around 6pm @ the carpark in the Carlton
Gardens, west of the Exhibition Buildings Bring a bike, beverage and yourself.
Mallets and ball provided.
Melbourne Bicycle Polo Club: melbourne.bicycle.polo.club -at- gmail.com
See also http://www.melbournecyclist.com/group/melbournebicyclepoloclub

Most rides go at a social pace, run rain or shine, and are free (like the
streets themselves).

BikeFun depends on people like you to create events and contribute to
Melbourne's creative bike community. Organise a ride (or whatever) and BikeFun
will promote it. email details to: bikefun at nikdow.net

To subscribe to the Bike Fun email, send a blank email to:
bikefunmelbourne-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Forward this email to a friend.
http://bikefun.org