[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter: March - April 2012

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Thu Mar 22 23:48:14 AEDT 2012

* Yarra Bicycle Users Group Newsletter: March - April 2012*

 1.      YarraBUG Radio News
 2.      Next City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting
 3.      Update on Car Door Penalties Campaign
 4.      National Ride2School Day
 5.      Solway Street Bridge Opening
 6.      Bike West - trucks and bikes don't mix, it's time to fix
 7.      TADVIC need volunteers
 8.      Congratulations to Frank Kinnersley from Moonee Valley BUG -
    Victorian volunteer wins top national award
 9.      Renewables Street Party
10.      2012 UCI Track Cycling World Championships
11.      Melbourne International Comedy Festival: Ben Lomas -- The
    Vicious Cycle
12.      Cycling in the News

*
1. YarraBUG Radio on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital*
Latest podcast: YarraBUG Radio Show#178 -- Monday 19th March 2012
This week Val & Chris interview Greer from Magnificent Revolution about
Pedal-powered cinema.
More at: http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=989

Melbourne BikeFest maybe over for another year but you can catch up with
the Chasing Rainbows winning poster entry
BMX Jam and BikeFest Runway events, more at
http://www.melbournebikefest.com.au

Bikefest, thanks for all the bike love!
http://www.thesqueakywheel.com.au/?p=1441

Listen to our Melbourne BikeFest podcasts:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?tag=melbourne-bikefest

*2. Update on Car Door Penalties Campaign*
News from Melbourne BUG: How to make your voice heard on cycling issues
That was awesome! What now? The rally today was fantastic. There are
some photos in the previous post.
And we just published some more great ones here on the Melbourne BUG
Flickr page! This is only the beginning.
There's so much more we can do if we work together. As we mentioned
today, Melbourne City Council are looking at
the possibility of a separated bike lane down Latrobe street. When push
comes to shove on this and other issues,
we'll need to fire up and make our voice heard!
More at: http://www.melbournebug.org/?p=165

Listen to Get Pushy for Bike Safety rally audio: YarraBUG Radio Show#176
-- Monday 5th March:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=974

Listen to Greg Barber interview: YarraBUG Radio Show#174 -- Monday 20th
February:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=939

Meanwhile, almost six years to the date ...
http://www.yarrabug.org/MelbTimes21March06.jpg

The Age: Doored cyclist returns to road for marathon run
A cyclist who was nearly killed when a car door was opened on him has
capped his remarkable recovery
by running a marathon and is now focused on returning to normal life.
Andrew Tivendale yesterday
completed a 42-kilometre run through the streets of Melbourne to raise
money for the hospitals that
saved him after he suffered serious head injuries when a woman opened
her car door on him in East
Brunswick less than a year ago.
More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doored-cyclist-returns-to-road-for-marathon-run-20120319-1vesj.html

Andrew Tivendale on Everyday Hero: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/marathon

Andrew Tivendale interview on ABC 730 Victoria (16 March 2012)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-16/calls-for-tougher-penalites-to-protect-cyclists/3895180

*3. Next City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting - Wednesday 28
March 2012*
News from Heidi: Hi all, Please see attached agenda for next Wednesday's
BAC meeting at Fitzroy Town Hall, 6.30--7.30pm.
*Also attached is Vibraline and Raised Rubber Separator Trial, a
presentation by Alistair McDonald relating to Item 2.1.

Please note that this project is in the conceptual stage in Yarra --
there is no commitment to proceed at this stage
and no funding has been allocated. I'd also like to draw your attention
to the 2012 Yarra Sustainability Awards.
This is your opportunity to nominate yourself or someone else who you
think deserves to be recognised.
Nominations close 5pm, Tuesday 1 May. Finally, if you have school-aged
kids, don't forget to celebrate National
Ride2School Day in Yarra tomorrow!

*BAC Agenda hosted here:
http://www.yarrabug.org/docs/BicycleAdvisoryCommitteeAgenda-Mar2012.pdf

Cheers, Heidi Marfurt, Sustainable Transport Officer City of Yarra,
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday,
E: heidi.marfurt[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au
More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Consultative-Committees/Bicycle-Advisory-Committee/

*4. Ride2School Day - Friday 23 March, 2012 is National Ride2School Day*
News from Bike Network Victoria: More than 200,000 primary and secondary
students will take to the streets across
Australia tomorrow using bikes, scooters, skateboards or simply walking
as part of National Ride2School Day.
The annual event is Australia's largest celebration of an active journey
to and from school. At many schools,
100% of students will arrive under their own steam and then take part in
a host of school-based festivities including
parades, breakfasts and community rides. "Studies show that children who
are involved in sport and recreation at a
young age have a greater ability to concentrate at school, are more
confident, independent and are more likely to
continue being active well into their adult years," Minister for Sport
and Recreation Hugh Delahunty said.
More at: http://www.bv.com.au/general/ride2school/43455/

*
5. Solway Street Bridge Opening - Saturday 24 March 2012*
The Cities of Boroondara, Monash and Stonnington are pleased to announce
that the Solway Street Bridge, washed
away in the February 2011 floods, has now been replaced. This is the
final stage of the partnership project to
  close the gap in the Gardiners Creek Trail, funded by the Federal
Government under the Regional and Local
Community Infrastructure Program. The bridge opening ceremony will be
followed by a BBQ lunch, fresh fruit
smoothies generated by cycling and organic coffee. When: Saturday 24
March 2012 - Time: 11.30am to 1.00pm
Where: At the marquee in the parkland - Corner Ryeburne Ave and Nicholas
St, Ashburton - Melways Map 69 B1.

*
6. Bike West - trucks and bikes don't mix, it's time to fix*
News from Colleen Hartland, one of three elected Greens in the Upper
House of Victorian State Parliament
and she represents the Western Metropolitan Region. Parker and Whitehall
Streets, Footscray. This is the
most dangerous intersection for cyclists in the West. A solution has
been designed and costed by VicRoads
and the Baillieu government needs to committ the funding in the upcoming
May Budget.

Bicycle infrastructure in the West is substandard and dangerous. Roads
are also choked with trucks -- more than
20,000 trucks drive through the inner  West every single day. With the
number of people cycling increasing fast,
  immediate action is needed to develop quality, safe and direct bicycle
routes in the West.It's time to fix bike
paths and make Bike West safe. You can make this happen - Take Action,
more at: http://bikewest.org.au

*7.Congratulations to Frank Kinnersley from Moonee Valley BUG -
Victorian volunteer wins top national award (21 March 2012)*
News from Cycling Promotion Fund: Rarely has one person been such a big
part of so many major developments
in bicycling in the state, but today Frank Kinnersley's dedicated work
over 35 years was recognised with the major
Bicycling Achievement of the Year Award.

Bicycling Achievement Award of the Year - Volunteer - Frank Kinnersley VIC.
Frank started advocating for cycling in Geelong 35 years ago and was the
founding President of Geelong Touring Cyclists.
He has been a Bike Ed instructor, contributed to local government and
state bicycle plans and has been instrumental in
achieving better outcomes for cyclists when major transport projects
impact on cycle commuter routes.  Recognised by
  cycling organisations and jurisdictions across the state, currently
fulfils a role with Rail Trails Australia in addition to
continuing his many volunteer activities.
More at: http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/557/9/

*
8. TADVIC need volunteers*
News from  Jenny Stephen:  We at TADVIC believe that all children should
have an opportunity to enjoy the thrill of riding
a bike! If you are interested in assisting us please read on.... We are
looking for volunteers to assist with our bike clinics
and bike assembly. Perhaps there are some bike enthusiasts in your group
that have some mechanical skills and
spare time that could assist us for half a day a few times per month,
(usually on a Tues-Wed)?

What does a volunteer do at bike clinics? They assist our Occupational
Therapist (OT) in customising a bike to suit
the needs of a child (or young adult). Under the supervision of the OT,
they change parts, e.g. handle bars, foot pedals,
support bars etc. until the bike is suitable and safe for the child. The
details of the bike are then recorded, ready to be
made up at a later date. Most times the clinics are on site at Kew,
although we do travel to schools in the metropolitan
and regional areas.

What does a volunteer do at assembly clinics?  They work with one or 2
other volunteers and make up the individual
bikes for the children that were assessed at the clinics. This is done
on site at our workshop. If you are interested in
  hearing more about  volunteering opportunities with Freedom Wheels,  I
would love to hear from you, also have a look
at our website www.tadvic.asn.au  if you would like to find out more or
contact me on the email or number below.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Kind regards, Jenny Stephen, HR and Volunteer Coordinator
T: 03 9853 8655 or 1300 663243, F: 03 9853 8098
E: jenny[AT]tadvic.asn.au, W: www.tadvic.asn.au Days of work Monday to
Wednesday

*9. Renewables Street Party*
News from Oskr: Meet 12pm Edinburgh Gardens April 21st 2012 - proceed to
secret party location! A roaming street party
with multiple sound systems! Stop traffic and turn heads, get down with
some nourishing beats, demand the state
government change their policy on renewable energy. Lots more to be
announced. Family friendly event. Rain or shine.
For more information find this event on Facebook, or use
http://indymedia.org.au/Renewables-Street-Party

*10. 2012 UCI Track Cycling World Championships*
News from Cycling Australia: Melbourne's Hisense Arena will host the
2012 UCI Track Cycling World Championships from
Wednesday 4 to Sunday 8 April, 2012. The UCI Track Cycling World
Championships stands at the pinnacle of world track
cycling and will attract up to 350 of the world's best cyclists from
over 40 countries. The 2012 Championships is the final
qualifying event in the lead-up to the 2012 London Olympic Games
ensuring all fans will witness the best track cycling on
offer as cyclists vie for an Olympic berth and a prestigious rainbow jersey.
More at: http://www.2012trackworlds.com.au/

*11. Melbourne International Comedy Festival - The Department of Humour
Services*
Ben Lomas -- The Vicious Cycle - 10 - 21 April 2012
Love cyclists? Hate cyclists? Whatever your opinion, join Ben on an
hilarious journey through a world where men are men
and the lycra is way  too tight. Your daily commute has never been this
funny. Cycle, drive nunrun red lights to buy tickets
  -- this is peak-hour comedy from acomedian at his peak.Sold out last
five festivals. "You would be one-hundred-percent
crazy to miss Ben Lomas." The Pun
More at:
http://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2012/season/shows/the-vicious-cycle-ben-lomas/

*12. Cycling in the news

**Move Mindfully campaign*
The City of Melbourne has teamed up with Melbourne Bikefest to launch
the Move Mindfully campaign. We believe that road
harmony is well within our reach.Whether you are walking, riding or
driving - moving mindfully in Melbourne is something
we can all achieve. More at: http://www.movemindfully.com.au/

*Melburn Roobaix 2012*
Entries Open Saturday, March 31st and Sunday, April 1st, the FYXO Hub
will be having an in-store,
early registration for the 2012 Melburn Roobaix. Online registration
will be the 13th of April.
More at:
http://fyxomatosis.com/index.php/melburn-roobaix-mainmenu/890-hell-awaits-you

*The Age: Cycling revolution starts with parents (22 March 2012)*
A Heart Foundation study has confirmed that an overwhelming majority of
Australian children get to their primary and secondary
schools in the back of a car. The study says this generation of young
Australians are now among the most "chauffeured" and
"cosseted"  in the world.
More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/cycling-revolution-starts-with-parents-20120321-1vjan.htm

*Melbourne Times Weekly: Cyclists count and get counted (13 March 2012)*
More bike riders are taking part in the morning commute into the city
centre, preliminary data from a national Bicycle Network
count shows. Early findings from the count show a massive spike in
cyclists travelling into the city, with bike traffic through
points in Brunswick, Richmond and Carlton up by more than 20 per cent
since last year's count.
More at:
http://www.melbournetimesweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/cyclists-count-and-get-counted/2486480.aspx
*
SMH: O'Farrell slams brakes on Moore's cycling city vision (7 March 2012)*
The state government is moving to take more control of traffic and
transport planning in Sydney's CBD, as it ramps up a campaign
against the city's bike lanes. But the city's Lord Mayor, Clover Moore,
says she is unsure how the new arrangements will be any
different to what already exists.
More at:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ofarrell-slams-brakes-on-moores-cycling-city-vision-20120307-1ujn7.html

*ABC 774 Melbourne: Melbourne bikes set to benefit outback community (20
March 2012)
*What do you get when you mix a truckload of bicycles from Melbourne
with dirt roads in the South Australian outback?
Some might humorously say 'sore derrieres', but connecting the community
is the main aim.*
*More at: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/03/19/3456815.htm

*Crikey: Why do Melburnians cycle more? (18 March 2012)*
Melburnians cycle for transport twice as much as Sydneysiders and are
taking to cycling at three times the rate of their northern
neighbours. Moreover, Melburnians are more likely to use bicycles as a
means of transport, whereas for Sydneysiders they're
mainly a weekend recreation. At a time when many suspect the NSW Premier
wants to stymie cycling, it's useful to consider
what could possibly explain a difference of this scale.
More at:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/2012/03/18/why-do-melburnians-cycle-more-than-sydneysiders/

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond