[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter: July - August 2012

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Fri Jul 27 23:26:31 AEST 2012

Dear all,

Here's our July - August update, a little late due to accumulated Tour
de France sleep debt, but with plenty of cycling news for just about
everyone ;)

 1. *YarraBUG Radio on 3CR*
 2. *Yarra Council Bicycle Advisory Committee Meetings*
 3. *Wellington Street Survey*
 4. *Bring Back the Bike Budget Rally 2 -this Sunday in Abbotsford
    *
 5. *Cycling Study*
 6. *Heads up - Local Cycling Clearance Sales**from Spurway Cycles &
    Nalini clearance store*
 7. *Rides, Events & News
    *

*
**
**1. YarraBUG Radio on 3CR*
A massive thank you to everyone who contributed to our 3CR Radiothon
donations, we raised roughly 50% more than our target!
Also a big thank you to our sponsors
<http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1053> who donated to our Radiothon
Giveaway - Allegro Bikes, psbikes, Treadlie & Velo Cycles.
Our recent programs have included interviews with Injera & Essjaymoo
from Les Vaches du Tour, Simon Stainsby from Moreland Council, Cr Alison
Clarke from City of Yarra, Hap Cameron and Daniel Billings from Dolomiti
Cycles.

During our upcoming program on Monday 30th July, we will be interviewing
Mick Peel of Busyman Bicycles, <http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com.au/>
so listen from 10am either via your radio, livestreaming, digital or
wait until Tuesday or Wednesday when the podcast is on iTunes.

All the details + more at: http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
*

2. Yarra Council Bicycle Advisory Committee Meetings
*The July BAC meeting agenda items included; Road rules insert in Yarra
News -feedback from BAC members, Bicycle parking corrals - update and
suggestions for new locations, Bluestone surfaces - update, VicRoads
Bicycle funding - request to meet with the Minister for Public Transport
and Roads, Wellington St -- update on consultation process for proposed
Copenhagen-style bicycle lanes, Brunswick St -- bicycle/pedestrian
advance signals, RSAGIM car-dooring project, Elizabeth St separators,
Nicholson St, Fitzroy Tram precinct and ongoing Yarra Bike Strategy. The
minutes from the July meeting have now been published at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Consultative-Committees/Bicycle-Advisory-Committee/

Next meeting - 15 August, Fitzroy Town Hall, 6.30--8.00pm, Mayor's Room,
Fitzroy Town Hall.

*3. Wellington Street Survey*
 From Yarra Council - Council is suggesting a style of lane commonly
referred to as 'Copenhagen', where the bicycle lane is located next to
the kerb and separated from traffic by a physical barrier or a lane of
parked cars.
Council is proposing these lanes to create greater separation between
cyclists and motorists. Greater separation increases safety and give
less experienced cyclists greater confidence on the road. Creating these
lanes is expected to result in a loss of up to 117 parking spaces on
Wellington Street.
*
Have your say - Feedback about this proposal is due by Monday 30 July 2012*
You can provide your feedback by: Completing an online survey Wellington
Street Bicycle Lanes Survey:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Parking-roads-and-transport/Current-projects/proposed-separated-bike-lanes-in-wellington-street/wellington-street-bicycle-lanes-survey/
Or contact Alistair McDonald, Bicycle Strategy Project Manager on 9205
5737 or Alistair.McDonald@ yarracity.vic.gov.au or by post at PO Box
168, Richmond 3121.*

Listen to Cr Alison Clarke discuss Wellington Street proposal on
YarraBUG Radio:*
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1093

*4. Bring Back the Bike Budget Rally 2 - Noon, Sunday 29 July 2012*
Yes, the pesky Gipps Street Steps are still on the agenda - even though
we've been advocating for improvements to the area since 2004.
Ted Baillieu promised a year ago, after Cadel Evans won the TdF, that
the steps would be fixed. A year later = no state bike budget, no steps
replacement, no new projects.

Yarra trail rides high on Evans win (July 27, 2011)
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/yarra-trail-rides-high-on-evans-win-20110726-1hylp.html

See history at: http://www.yarrabug.org/campaigns/

News from Bicycle Network Victoria: FYI to all BUGs. We would love you
to help us in the next instalment to Bring the Bike Budget back!
This is the second rally in our campaign to get the Baillieu Government
to do the right thing for bikes.
Please spread the word and hope to see you on the day!
What: Bicycle riders rally to protest Baillieu Government budget cuts
Where: Gipps St steps, Yarra Trail (extreme eastern end of Gipps St),
Abbotsford. Melway Map 2D A11
When: Noon, Sunday 29 July 2012
Who: Bicycle riders of all ages and abilities and from across the
political spectrum
More at:https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/change-the-world/93685/

*Listen to the first Bring Back the Bike Budget Rally & interviews on
YarraBUG Radio:*
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1081

*5. Cycling Study*
News from Laila - Hello cyclists,
Have you ever ridden your bike without a helmet? Do you ride a bike
without a front brake? If the answer is yes to either, and you would
like to take part in a confidential Swinburne University study regarding
your own perception of safety on your bike, please contact me on email
at: lsakini at swin.edu.au
One-on-one interviews lasting approximately 20-40 minutes will be
conducted in a suitable location at a convenient time.
Yours Sincerely, Laila

*Heads up - Local Cycling Clearance Sales*

*1. Spurway Cycles - 42 Sydney Road, Coburg*
After 75 years  Spurway Cycles, the last remaining original bike shop in
Sydney Road has closed!
Now all the stock and fittings  must go! This is literally a Clearing
Sale. All stock, Bikes, Tyres, Tubes, Pumps, Helmets, etc,etc,
everything is Half Marked Price
Fittings are also for Sale, make an offer.
Clearing Sale - Opening Hours - Friday 11am to 7pm - Saturday 11am to
4pm. *No phone number or email, strictly personal shopping only*.

*2. Nalini clearance store*
*News from ***ICA Imports* - *We're closing the Nalini clearance store
(Level 2, 19 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne) on August 10.
Some clothing is up to 70% off and we're doing very generous deals on
purchases of multiple garments. Along with this we're also giving away a
free pair of Briko Action sunglasses when a top and a bottom is
purchased eg; a pair of knicks and a jersey or vest.
The Briko glasses retail for $99.00. Most pieces of clothing are
considerably cheaper than the wholesale prices we used to distribute at.
More at: www.icaimports.com.au <http://www.icaimports.com.au>
<http://www.icaimports.com.au>
*

Rides, Events & News

1. Local Rides & Events - check more listings & links here:
*http://www.yarrabug.org/events-and-rides/*

2. Maintenance works on Heidelberg Road Bridge
*From Yarra Council: To enable platform installation works on the shared
path for essential maintenance work on the Heidelberg Road Bridge, Merri
Creek Trail between Heidelberg Road and Walker Street in Northcote will
be closed on Tuesday 17 July to Wednesday 18 July and on Thursday 2
August to Friday 3 August 2012, between 8am to 4pm. During this time all
pedestrians and cyclists travelling towards St Georges Road will be
diverted along Heidelberg Road Bridge, from Cunningham Street to Walker
Street.
For more information, please contact Nusrat Islam on 93131366 or at
Nusrat.Islam at roads.vic.gov.au*
*More details + map detours:
http://www.yarrabug.org/docs/MeriCreekTrailClosure_B.pdf

*
3. Yarra Council & Victoria Police - Get your bike engraved for free
*Yarra residents can get their bikes engraved for free by local police
on an upcoming Saturday. The engraving will be provided at each of the
three below locations on Saturday 11 August, between 10am-2pm:

  * Outside Brunswick Street Cycles, 433 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy
  * Outside Bike Zone, 287 Smith Street, Collingwood
  * Corner Swan and Stanley streets, Richmond

Collingwood police officers, including Acting Sergeant Andrew Stephen,
are providing this special service after becoming concerned by a local
increase in bicycle theft. Bicycles will be engraved with their owner's
driver's licence number or another identifying mark. This will help
police return stolen bicycles to their owners*. *More
at:**http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/hot-topics/get-your-bike-engraved-for-free/
*

4. DISCO Track: 'It's track Jim, but not as we know it!'
*From Cycling Victoria - On Aug 25th, Sep 15th & Oct 20th
It might be road season, but according to all in the know, a bit of
track over winter keeps you sharp and DISCO Track is the sharpest track
racing you'll ever try. The series will include a points aggregate. You
can race for your club, your sponsor or yourself and earn points
everytime you roll off the fence and more points for your results. So
mark the dates in your diary, blow the cobwebs off your track steed and
get ready for good fun, good racing and good prizes!
And look out for DJ Crank as he spins tunes to race to!*
*More at: http://vic.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=47123*

5. Next Come and Try Track Cycling Day: August 12**
*Due to an overwhelming response to the July 1st Come and Try day,
Cycling Victoria is pleased to announce the running of another Come and
Try day on Sunday the 12th of August.*
*More at: http://vic.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=46872*

6. Secret Mystery Rides
*Each Sunday morning, a group of road cyclists leave Carnegie in
Melbourne's South-East at 7.00am for a "secret mystery" ride.
More at: https://www.facebook.com/secretmysteryrides

*7. VicRoads - Car door sticker pack*
VicRoads has developed a sticker pack to remind drivers and passengers
to look for bike riders before getting in and out of their car. The pack
is an information card holding a set of four transparent stickers and a
bumper sticker.  To order your pack online, visit the Victorian
Government Bookshop or else visit your local VicRoads Customer Service
Centre to pick one up.
http://www.bookshop.vic.gov.au/government-publications-vicroads-look-bike-riders-sticker-pack-p-87502.html

*8. Love my bike - not budget cuts!*
The Greens have a new "Bike Blackspot" app so you can put your spot on
the map.
On iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/bike-blackspot/id510581717?mt=8#
bike blackspots and provide feedback about cycling infrastructure and
safety issues. Don't have an iPhone or iPad? No worries, you can use
this easy form on our website. Zoom in and move the map to see the
feedback submitted by cyclists from your area.
Link: http://vicmps.greens.org.au/content/bike-blackspot

*
**9. News from Google: Ride on! Cycling comes to Google Maps in Australia*
We're big fans of bicycling here at Google Australia, and based on how
much we get asked, "When is cycling coming to maps in Australia?" we
know most of you are cyclists too. Good news is that today we're
launching cycling directions on Google Maps in Australia --- providing
you with a new way of getting around town. Our routes were made possible
in part thanks to the support of councils around the country who
provided us with information on bicycle-friendly streets and areas. If
you want to bike to work or your local shops, or simply want to spend
more time outdoors, cycling directions will help you find the best way
to get where you want to go.
More at:
http://google-au.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/ride-on-cycling-comes-to-google-maps-in.html

*10. The Age: Cycling groups push for a better biking city*
One year ago the Baillieu government declared Melbourne one of the
world's best cycling cities. Amid much fanfare Tourism Minister Louise
Asher announced the Union Cycliste International had bestowed on
Melbourne the title of "bike city", just the second city recognised as
such after Copenhagen. Compared to the Danish capital -- where more than
one-third of people commute by bike, there are "superhighways" dedicated
solely to cycling and lanes are separated from other traffic --
Melbourne has a long way to close the gap. Cycling advocates point to
progress being made, through Melbo urne City Council's $5 million
commitment to funding new lanes, the parliamentary inquiry into
so-called dooring cases, a ban on car parking on Beach Road on weekend
mornings and the successful staging of the world track championships.
But cycling groups questioned the state government's commitment when it
slashed the number of infrastructure projects it planned to fund in
2012-13 to four, down from 22 the previous year.
More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycling-groups-push-for-a-better-biking-city-20120723-22iyw.html

--
Yarra Bicycle Users Group
http://www.yarrabug.org

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond