[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter: August 2011

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Tue Aug 2 23:11:33 AEST 2011

  YarraBUG Newsletter: August 2011

We've missed out on a couple of newsletters over winter, most likely due
to not enough time, working too hard elsewhere, three weeks of late
night television watching a bicycle race in France & the usual
procrastination.

    * *Yarra Council News*
    * *Update on 3CR Radiothon - Donate to People Powered Radio*
    * *News from Velo Voice Melbourne*
    * *Gipps Street Steps - again*
    * *News & Events*
    * *Cycling in the news*

*
**1. Yarra Council News - City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee
Minutes - 29 June 2011*
Agenda Items included:
Item 1 - Progress report on City of Yarra Bicycle Strategy
Item 2 - On-road facilities report - 2.1 Gertrude Street, East-West Link
update*
Item 3 - Behaviour change projects report
Item 4 - Advocacy report
Item 5 - Open Space/Off-Road report
Item 6 - Swan Street Masterplan report

More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/DownloadDocument.ashx?DocumentID=4015
(PDF file)

*Steve Barnetts report on Gertrude Street site visit on 30th June 2011
with Yarra Council & VicRoad representatiives:
Updated plans were supplied by Kevin from VicRoads & reviewed on site by
those present. There was multiple concerns regarding the plans, mostly
contraflow lane for cyclists, the design of the contraflow lane which
had a lack of buffer between the cycle lane & other vehicles. There were
also concerns over entry/exit points through the Smith St/Langridge
intersection. Positive: there were numerous suggestions raised during
the visit, including resurfacing the street & making the area an more
intergrated zone/lower speed approach for all road users. Kevin was to
take these suggestions back to VicRoads for review.

For your information, Heidi Marfurt is acting Sustainable Transport
Officer while Kate Simnett is on maternity leave (with her new little
one!) No doubt many of you would know Heidi as a founding member of
Darebin BUG. Her contact details are: Ph: (03) 9205 5734  M 0438 616 097
fax: (03) 8417 6666, email: heidi.marfurt[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au

Next Yarra City Council Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting - 10 August
2011, Fitzroy Town Hall, Mayor's Room
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Consultative-Committees/Bicycle-Advisory-Committee/
*

2. Update on 3CR Radiothon - Donate to People Powered Radio

According to 3CR admin, we're at 73% of our Radiothon total for YarraBUG
Radio. Can you help us attain 100% or even more, by our 150th program on
Monday 8th August 2011? Contact 3CR on the details listed below & ensure
your pledge is made to YarraBUG Radio.

Listen to our latest podcasts - *YarraBUG Radio Show#149 -- Monday 1st
August 2011
Val and Steve chat to Nik Dow from Melbourne BUG on Victoria's Cycle
Tourism Action Plan 2011-2015 & Melbourne being named as a "bike city"
by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI). Plus news and events. More
at: http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=848

YarraBUG Radio Show#148 -- Monday 25th July 2011: This week we excitedly
chat about Cadel Evans historical win in the 2011 Tour de France (on not
much sleep) & this events implications for cycling in Australia. Other
topics: Val's bike tip + round up of bicycle-themed events for State of
Design. Local events include Yarra Easy Riders -- Leisure Cycling
Network, Amy Gillett Foundation new campaign for safer cycling
conditions. More at: http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=846

YarraBUG Radio Show#147 -- Monday 18th July 2011:This week's program:
the Tour de France, can bikes be faster than planes -- the recent Los
Angeles Carmageddon challenge, a round up of bicycle-themed events for
State of Design + news and events. More at:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=844
*
*News from 3CR: Help us with the last push to reach our 2011 Radiothon
target. 3CR is short $20,000 and we need your help. Or if you've already
given - find a friend! We really appreciate your support. You can make a
donation online now or come in to the station at 21 Smith Street Fitzroy
during business hours and pay by cash, cheque or eftpos. 3CR People
Powered Radio! Post your cheque/money order made out to 3CR to PO Box
1277, Collingwood, VIC 3066. By phone: Call 039419 8377 during business
hours (Monday - Friday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm) to pay by credit card. Set up
a recurring donation: Choose how much you would like to donate and how
frequently - weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Its easy! Phone 3CR on 9419
8377 or email us [admin at 3cr.org.au] to get a direct debit brochure sent
to you.
http://www.3cr.org.au/support,
http://www.givenow.com.au/cause442

*3. News from Velo Voice Melbourne - *News received via email 27 July
2011 - see background at: http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/t17769/

Dear Member,
With the sad, death recently of yet another cyclist on Melbourne's
roads, it's time for cyclists to call on the government to finally take
some steps to better protect us on Melbourne's roads and a Minimum One
Metre Passing Law would go some way towards that.  Many countries
overseas are way ahead of Australia with their laws protecting cyclists
and it's time for Australia to catch up.  Cadel Evans' recent victory in
the Tour De France will see many Melburnians taking up cycling and the
numbers of cyclists on our roads will see a surge in numbers over the
next few months.

Melbourne Lord Mayor, Robert Doyle recently called Melbourne "a true
cycling city", however those of us that ride on the streets around
Melbourne know that this is far from the truth.  While Melbourne may
have a great cycling culture, the roads are as dangerous as they have
ever been with accidents involving cyclists at an all time high.  Way
back in 2005, a One-Metre Law was recommended by the State Parliament's
2005 Inquiry into Violence Associated with Motor Vehicle Use.  If you
believe that it's time cyclists were offered better protection on the
roads, then forward the email below to our Premier, Mr Baillieu and his
Minister for Roads, Mr Mulder.

Just cut and paste these into your email address line:
ted.baillieu at parliament.vic.gov.au; terence.mulder at parliament.vic.gov.au

and Subject line: Call for a One Metre Minimum passing law

Dear Mr Baillieu and Mr Mulder,

I call for your government to introduce a One Metre Minimum passing law
for drivers when passing cyclists.  Currently, VicRoads advises
motorists to ''give cyclists a clearance of at least one metre when
passing'', but the law does not require it. The introduction of such a
rule would better protect cyclists on our roads and bring Melbourne in
line with many overseas cities known for their cycling culture.

Consideration should also be given to the creation of a mechanism by
which cyclists can report offending drivers to police, that the
introduction of such a law be supplemented with a comprehensive driver
education campaign to enable drivers to become accustomed to the
changes. It's important for the safety of all cyclists in Melbourne that
the current laws be changed, as there have been too many avoidable
deaths on our roads.

Yours sincerely,

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND CONTACT PHONE NUMBER FOR AUTHENTICATION

Thanks for your ongoing support of cyclists, and cycling, in Melbourne.

Regards,

Velo Voice Melbourne
velovoicemelbourne at gmail.com

*4. Gipps Street Steps - again*
See below for The Age article from 27 July,  at long last there may
*finally* be a positive result on the Gipps Street Steps, see previous
history on campaigns page: http://www.yarrabug.org/campaigns/
But wait, there's another catch:

" ... But until last night, the Baillieu government had not confirmed if
the project would proceed. Now it has been pushed back until next
financial year and is set to cost $200,000 more ..."

Concerned about yet another delay or inaction?

Contact: Hon. Ted Baillieu, Premier. Leader of the Liberal Party, Level
1, 1 Treasury Place, Melbourne, VIC. Phone (03) 9651 5000, Fax (03) 9651
5054, Email: ted.baillieu at parliament.vic.gov.au

Hon Hugh Delahunty, Minister for Sport and Recreation, Level 22, 50
Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC. Phone (03) 9096 8830, Fax (03) 9096
3611,Email: hugh.delahunty at parliament.vic.gov.au

Hon Terry Mulder, Minister for Public Transport. Minister for Roads,
Level 16, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne, VIC, Phone (03) 9095 4330,
Fax (03) 9095 4483, Email: terence.mulder at parliament.vic.gov.au

Yarra trail rides high on Evans win - July 27, 2011
Cyclists forced to push their bikes up stairs to be able to continue on
the bike path in Abbotsford. Photo: Wayne Taylor. THE final piece of
Melbourne's most popular bike trail is set to be completed in the wake
of Cadel Evans's historic Tour de France win. The Baillieu government
last night announced it would proceed with a $4.3 million project to
build a bridge over the Yarra River in Abbotsford after inquiries from
The Age. More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/yarra-trail-rides-high-on-evans-win-20110726-1hylp.html

*NEWS & EVENTS

*
*1. Yarra Easy Riders - Leisure Cycling Network Meeting - 6th August 2011*
For residents of Yarra estates and surrounding areas. Join leisurely
rides to explore local bike paths and visit parks and café's. The rides
will suit families and people with basic riding skills. Training can be
provided. Experienced riders who would like to support less confident
riders are also invited to participate. Bikes to win! Bike maintenace
tips!  Free Bike hire service!*To find out more; Come to the Community
meeting When? Saturday Aug 6th, Time?: 1.30 p. Where? Community Meeting
Room, Atherton Gardens Estate, 125 Napier St. Fitzroy.
*Bike hire program for residents of Yarra Estates.  Please RSVP yout
attendance by contacting City of Yarra Access 3121 Project Officer, Dory
Russell on 0408 577 403. email: dory.russell at yarracity.vic.gov.au

*2. Bicycles For Humanity - St Kilda - 6th August 2011*
News from Bicycles for Humanity: As Bicycles for Humanity continues to
chug along, we are again looking for helpers to prepare bikes for
packing into container number 5! If you are willing and able to lend a
hand THIS SATURDAY 6TH AUGUST in Yarraville please let us know. Also
HUGE thanks to our most recent saviour, Ben Bud from WESTBURY Packaging
in Dingley, who has kindly agreed to store our bikes and container when
we leave Yarraville. Contact  Bicycles For Humanity for more details,
like the location: email: info at bicyclesforhumanity.com or
ylva_carosone at hotmail.com

*3. FYXO - Bicycle Swap Meet / Saturday 13th August 2011*
Buy, swap, sell, haggle and tyre kick! When: Saturday 13 August, 2011.
9am - 12pm. Where: Coffee Supreme, 28 Grosvenor St, Abottsford. Map:
http://bit.ly/nYfwPD
What: Anything two wheeled. New, old, used and abused. $5 to sell / Free
to haggle. More at FYXO: http://www.fyxomatosis.com/

*4. Darebin BUG invites you to:  Do bicycle lanes "work"? How do we know?*
Thursday 15  September 2011 7.00 for a 7:30 start. Food and drink
available, Fairfield Alphington RSL, 7 Railway Place, Fairfield.
Cameron Munro from SKM consultants will talk about evaluating cycling
projects. Cameron will show before and after examples from cycling
projects including the Sydney Road bicycle lanes, Royal Park green
surfaces and rumble strips as well as "bicycle awareness zones" from
Queensland. Fairfield Alphington RSL is across the road from the
Fairfield railway station (south side). There are bike hoops at the
station, and two outside Bean  (cnr Gillies St and Railway Place). Bikes
are also welcome in the RSL forecourt. See a map with the location at
http://tiny.cc/k3fyr
Please forward to your networks. We look forward to seeing you on the
15th September

*5. Chocolate Cafe Ride - 27th August 2011, Noon - 5pm*
Bikes, friends, a sampling of the Chocolate cafes of Melbourne. You know
its a winning combination. Meet at the Rotunda in Edinburgh Gardens
(Mel. 44 B1 - Nearest Train Station: Rushall) at Midday. We ride to
Chocolate Cafes in Fitzroy, Carlton, the CBD and North Melbourne. Ride
finishes in North Melbourne (Short ride to North Melbourne Railway
Station, or City stations.We will visit around 4 cafes (with option to
do more if time allows), so budget around $50.00 to cover coffees and
chocolaty treats.Riding will be slow and relaxed. Distances traveled
will be very short. (Walking between cafes is an option)
More at: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=226809920687918

*6. Op shop ride and treasure hunt - 10th September 2011*
Time: 11:00am -  4:00pm, Location: Start Brotherhood St Laurence Op Shop
Brunswick. More info: A ride and rummage through the Op shops of
Brunswick. After the ride we'll compare our finds at a Coburg cafe.
Treasure Hunt bragging rights for:
- Best find for under $5.00
- Coolest thing you can hold in the palm of your hand.
- Best bad taste / Kitch item.
- Craziest costume.
- Most stylish 'DIY' Diva award.
- "Project Inspiration" Award (Tell us what you are going to make with
your op-shop find) Start Point - Brotherhood St Laurence Op Shop
Brunswick (109 Brunswick Rd Brunswick) Nearest railway station Jewell or
Rushall. End Point - Coburg Railway Station
More at: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=246228262066111

*7. Amy Gillett Foundation*
Help Phil, Cadel and the Amy Gillett Foundation to keep bike riders
safe. Each year, nearly 40 bike riders die on our roads. Over 9,000 more
are hospitalised. It's critical we change drivers' attitudes towards
bike riders. Delivering this message needs a major national advertising
campaign. The Amy Gillett Foundation wants all bike riders to join
forces and make it happen. One of Australia's finest communications
agencies Publicis Mojo has helped the Amy Gillett Foundation create a
compelling concept for a bike safety campaign. Now we need the funds to
bring it to life. Ask your friends to donate too. This campaign could
save your life, or the life of a bike rider you know.
More at: www.bikemovement.org.au

*8. Ausbike - 20-21 August 2011*
The show will open on Saturday the 20th of August 2011 and run until the
22nd of August 2011, with the first two days reserved as a public-only
event and the last day trade-only.Located at Melbourne Showgrounds.
Ausbike 2011 covers all kinds of cycling including: Road, Track, Time
Trial, Mountain Bikes, Cross Country, BMX, Trials, Kids, Toddlers, even
Unicycles!
Not only will bikes be showing but also an unimaginable array of
accessories to go with your bike and your lifestyle. This show is an
absolute must-not-miss event for anyone interested in bikes or who works
in the bicycle industry. General entry may be purchased at the Ticket
Booths on the day but to avoid queues but people are advised to
pre-purchase an electronic ticket. Ausbike 2011 - ADULT $10.00, Ausbike
2011 - CONCESSION $5.00. More at: http://www.ausbike.com.au

*CYCLING IN THE NEWS

1. The Age: Where there's a wheel there's a way to save big money*
DAMIAN Walsh is convinced of the financial windfall that cycling to work
provides; it has helped pay for his home renovation and will pay his
son's private school fees.
While Mr Walsh, a Collins Street lawyer, cycles to work from Brunswick,
his wife, Junko Kobayashi, uses the family car for errands and school
drop-offs. They have been a one-car household since 1997.
Mr Walsh said the money they have saved has helped pay for a $450,000
energy-efficient renovation to their home. ''Car insurance alone would
cost us $1000 a year,'' he said.
Read more:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/where-theres-a-wheel-theres-a-way-to-save-big-money-20110731-1i6hf.html#ixzz1TmaNShhU

*2. Victoria's Cycle Tourism Action Plan 2011-2015*
"Victoria's Cycle Tourism Action Plan 2011-2015 is the first of its kind
for Victoria. Its development comes at a time when participation in
cycle tourism is growing domestically and internationally. Tourists are
increasingly seeking to improve their health and wellbeing and to
undertake environmentally sustainable tourism experiences and modes of
transport"
Read more at:
http://www.tourism.vic.gov.au/images/stories/Victoria%20s%20Cycle%20Tourism%20Action%20Plan%202011-2015%20final.pdf

*3. The Age: Melbourne gains 'bike city' status July 22, 2011*
How Melbourne gained 'bike city' status The Union Cycliste
Internationale says Melbourne is among the top international cities for
bike racing, but it's a different story for non-elte riders.
Melbourne  is not only Australia's cycling capital, according to the
Baillieu government - it's one of the top cities for riding a bicycle on
the planet. Tourism Minister Louise Asher yesterday unveiled the state's
four-year plan to snare a bigger share of Australia's burgeoning
international cycling tourism market, and named Melbourne the nation's
first ''bike city''.
Read more:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-gains-bike-city-status-20110721-1hqx1.html

*4. The Age: Let me take you on a wild ride around town, Mr Baillieu.
Bojun Björkman-Chiswell. July 28, 2011*
How Melbourne gained 'bike city' status. The Union Cycliste
Internationale says Melbourne is among the top international cities for
bike racing, but it's a different story for non-elte riders.
The leaders who call this a 'bike city' have clearly never ridden in it.
On Monday night while riding my bicycle home from work I was hit by a
car, hard enough to be thrown on to the bonnet, slide off and land with
a thud on the road, only to see the car wheel stop centimetres from my
face. The driver made no move to get out of his car and come to my aid.
When I approached him screeching that he'd nearly killed me, his reply
was to shout back that I'd damaged his car. That is an example of the
uncivilised treatment people who choose to commute by bicycle are
subjected to daily. As I limped away from the crash scene and left the
police to charge him with nothing more than driving without a licence,
it occurred to me that this had happened in a city that only days before
had been pronounced by lord mayor Robert Doyle and Premier Ted Baillieu
as a ''bike city''.
Read more:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/let-me-take-you-on-a-wild-ride-around-town-mr-baillieu-20110727-1i079.html*

*--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253
Clifton Hill VIC 3068
http://www.yarrabug.org

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio + DIgital
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond

<http://www.tourism.vic.gov.au/images/stories/Victoria%20s%20Cycle%20Tourism%20Action%20Plan%202011-2015%20final.pdf>