[YarraBUG-list] October news updates

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Tue Oct 30 23:51:27 AEDT 2007

Hi all,

Several local items news for your perusal. Please contact Bill if you
can help out with the Bikes for Asylum Seekers program and also show
your support by coming along to Moreland BUG's fund raiser tomorrow
night. More details below.

Also is anyone having problems filling in the BV Bike Scope survey sent
this afternoon? If you are, please let BV know or inform the list here
as well.

Related Bike Scope article via City of Yarra:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Publications/Media%20Releases/Riders%20and%20Walkers.asp

Charlie has alerted us to a concrete barrier being put in on Church St
Bridge by VicRoads (between Yarra & Stonnington) She has contacted
VicRoads regarding the works, the responsible officer is Paul Sklepic:
Ph: 9313 1102. email: paul.sklepicATroads.vic.gov.au.

Charlie mentions: I emphasized that this solid concrete barrier will
have implications for other bridge users (cyclists and pedestrians) that
seem not to have been taken into consideration, it is apparently to stop
errant vehicles careering off the road, smashing through the parapet
wall and ending up on Citylink!

See images here of the proposed work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16115722@N00/tags/church/

If you have concerns about this work, please contact VicRoads
*immediately* as the concrete coursework is being finished soon.

Now onto happier news ... here's pix of the recent Yarra Ride to Work
Day at Victoria Gardens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16115722@N00/tags/work/

More news:

- Bikes for Asylum Seekers
- Triplets of Belleville film night
- News from Yarra Climate Action Now
- Vote4Cycling - Bicycles in this Election
- Call-out for volunteers for the Bicycle Film Festival

1. Bikes for Asylum Seekers
A six week program for clients of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre.
Hosted by Human Powered Industries in Brunswick - www.humanpowered.com.au

The course will cover maintenance skills, riding skills, road skills. It
runs on Sunday afternoons, starting 21st October, 1pm at 38 Harrison
Street, Brunswick East. Each session will include catering, often a
picnic on the road. There will be helpers from Human Powered, the Asylum
Seeker Resource Centre, Free Bike Fix, Yarra BUG, ex-Melbourne bicycle
police and more. But! We still need more volunteers. If you can help or
for more information please contact Bill - bill at humanpowered.com.au or
0422 378 989.

2. Triplets of Belleville film night
 From Anna: The Moreland BUG will hold it's second film night this
Halloween, Wednesday 31st October at the Brunswick Cycling Club's
clubrooms. Get your fancy dress freak on and join us for the Triplets of
Belleville. BBQ and hot choc from 7pm, film starts 7:30pm. I haven't
seen the film but I have seen the shorts, and though I'm told it's
really not a scary movie I gotta say, those old-style animated figures
with the spindly limbs, hook noses and wide grins sure give me the
creeps...We hope to see you there! Entry by gold coin, please RSVP to
convenor at morelandbug.org.au

3. News from Yarra Climate Action Now
 From Shannon: Just a note to let you all know our next meeting will be:
Wednesday 7th November, 6:30pm. Kindness House, 288 Brunswick St,
Fitzroy. Please meet out the front by 6:25pm or call Shannon on 0417 301
694 if late. I hope as many people as possible are able to make this
meeting. With a very exciting federal election just 3 weeks away there
is still much to do!! Email: yarraclimateactionnowATgmail.com Website:
http://yarraclimateactionnow.blogspot.com

4. Vote4Cycling - Bicycles in this Election
On the 24th November, the people of Australia will go to the polls to
elect a new Commonwealth Government. Historically, there has been little
federal support for cycling, relative to state and local contributions.
With the converging issues of climate change, spiralling fuel costs, an
obesity epidemic and rising congestion, the 2007 federal election is an
important opportunity to get bicycles on the agenda. More about what you
can do and further resources at the Vote 4 Cycling website:
http://www.vote4cycling.com.au

5. Call-out for volunteers for the Bicycle Film Festival
The Bicycle Film Festival will take place in Melbourne from the 5th –
9th December 2007. It is the first time this exciting international
event has taken place in Melbourne, and is sure to become a much beloved
feature on the summer event calendar.

Events Include:
Thursday 6th December - Opening Night BIKES ROCK! Kick-off Party
A ride-in event with bicycle valet parking at the heritage-listed Meat
Market in North Melbourne, local and international bands will entertain
500+ guests at this once-in-a-lifetime gig.

Friday 7th – Saturday 9th December - Screenings at RMIT Capitol Theatre
The historic and glorious Capitol plays home to 9 screening sessions
over 2 days, including local and international short and feature-length
films, works by the Neistat Brothers, Lucas Brunelle and the Australian
premier of Reginald Harkema's 'Monkey Warfare' – winner of the Special
Jury Award at the 2006 Toronto International Film Festival. A foyer bar
and lounge sustain the devoted bike masses through marathon screenings.

Sunday 9th December – B.est F.riends F.orever Bike Parade Laneway Party
Cyclists of Melbourne in all shapes and sizes converge in Tattersals
Lane off Section 8 Container Bar to participate in Bike Swaps,
Performances, Bicycle Beauty Pageants and general mayhem.

Sunday 9th December – Best of BFF DVD Screening & Closing Party at
Rooftop Cinema
The sun setting over Melbourne will provide a stunning backdrop to
cyclists and general enthusiasts alike enjoying a final night's
screening and very special party, including BFF highlights of the past
seven years, on top of the world.

We need volunteers to work at all of the above events. Volunteer roles
will include: Front of House, Ticket Sales, Ushering, Bar Work,
Promotions, Bicycle Valet Parking, Distribution, Bump In / Bump Out

We also have two paid positions available – Ticketing Manager and Bar
Manager, both of whom will be responsible for the management of teams of
volunteers. All volunteers will receive a special Bicycle Film Festival
package including a t-shirt, festival pass and free entry to Bikes Rock!
To get involved please email Event Producer Pip Carroll on
pipATambiguoushorse.com. Please include a one page CV, an indication of
your availability and your daytime contact details. Cyclists given first
priority! Visit www.bicyclefilmfestival.com

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253