[YarraBUG-list] Vale Paul Farren, Abbotsford Cycles Swap Meet, YarraBAC + more

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Thu Oct 12 23:04:55 AEDT 2017

Dear all,

Sad news with the passing of Paul Farren, legendary bicycle collector,
historian and contributor to Melbourne's cycling life since forever.
Read below for a message from Charlie, Abbotsford Cycles Swap Meet, 3CR
podcast from 2013 with Paul, Charlie, Faith and Val, next YarraBAC
meeting next week and our updated public events calendar.
There's so much happening in & around Melbourne, so please bookmark or
subscribe to either our shared facebook events or google calendar ;)

***

*1. Vale Paul Farren*

http://www.yarrabug.org/2017/10/08/vale-paul-farren/

Message from Charlie Farren
Dear all
It is with deep sadness that I write to say that Paul Farren died
yesterday afternoon, Thursday 5th October.
He has weathered the vicissitudes of cancer for many years longer than
originally expected when he was diagnosed in 2012. Gorgeous, happy years
during which time much has been achieved, more bikes acquired and
restored, many many coffees consumed in the company of good friends
whose support has been invaluable. Your texts, visits and emails lately
have been so wonderful, thank you.
He has enriched the lives of so many of us and will continue to do so
'cos he'll live on in our hearts and minds (whether you like it or not)
and float into our consciousness every time a bicycle goes by.
So grieve, laugh and cry for him, hold on to your thoughts of him. Talk
about him often and enjoy your memories of a gorgeous, special person.
We are better for knowing him and worse off for losing him.
There will be a Paul shaped hole in my heart forever.
Charlie
please feel free to share this news

*2. Memorial for Paul*
There will be a celebration of Paul's life to be held at Lakeside
Pavilion Restaurant, Royal Botanic Gardens at a date to be advised.

*3. Abbotsford Cycles Swap Meet - 14 October 2017
*This Saturday: if you would like to reminisce with friends, Abbotsford
Cycles are having a Bicycle Swap Meet in association with the Vintage
Cycle Club Of Victoria on Saturday the 14th of October. Buy, swap, sell
or just have a browse. There’s sure to be loads of classic, vintage and
precious bicycle stuff of all eras available. Free for buyers &
browsers, $10 for sellers. Contact Mark Bradley on
barkmadly[AT]netspace.net.au to book a stall.

*4. YarraBUG Radio podcast + Bicycling Through Time interview*
Alongside the fabulous Charlie, Paul was a legendary bicycle historian
and collector not only in Australia but worldwide. As 3CR podcasts
expire after a while, we’ve rehosted Faith and Val’s interview with
Charlie and Paul from 23 September 2013.

Link:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/2013/09/24/yarra-bike-radio-show-256-monday-september-23rd/

*Recent 3CR podcasts:*

  * Vale Paul Farren, Big Bike Film Night + Justice system fails
    cyclists again:
    http://www.3cr.org.au/yarrabug/episode-201710091000/vale-paul-farren-big-bike-film-night-justice-system-fails-cyclists
  * Cycling the Peru Divide with Pepper Cook:
    http://www.3cr.org.au/yarrabug/episode-201710021000/cycling-peru-divide-pepper-cook
  * Jumping back on your bike - the science of why it hurts:
    http://www.3cr.org.au/yarrabug/episode-201709181000/jumping-back-your-bike-science-why-it-hurts
  * New Monash study on cyclist injuries + Jac Torres-Gomez from Bike
    Bendigo:
    http://www.3cr.org.au/yarrabug/episode-201709111000/new-monash-study-cyclist-injuries-jac-torres-gomez-bike-bendigo

*5. Next Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee - 18 October 2017
*Come along and meet Peter Eckersley, Yarra's new Senior Active
Transport Engineer!

 From Peter: This is a reminder that the next BAC is in the Wurundjeri
Room at Collingwood Town Hall from 6.30pm to 8pm next Wednesday the 18th
of October.
If you have any items that you would like to discuss at the meeting,
please send me an email at peter.eckersley[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au.
I would also like to take this opportunity to quickly introduce myself.
My name is Peter and I have just taken over from Alistair MacDonald as
Senior Active Transport Engineer at the City of Yarra. I am a qualified
urban planner originally from Melbourne with a huge passion for active
and sustainable transport. Most recently, I was in charge of advocacy
and lobbying for the cycling organisation Bicycle Network in its Sydney
office. I have also lived in the Yarra council area for a number of
years and know the streets/neighbourhoods very well.
I look forward to meeting you next Wednesday and working together
towards improving cycling facilities and infrastructure in our community.
Kind regards,
Peter Eckersley
Senior Active Transport Engineer
City of Yarra PO Box 168 Richmond 3121
E Peter.Eckersley[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au

*6. Public events calendar - Spring time is bike time!*

Do you want know about rides or have a inner Melbourne bike-related
event coming up? Or you know of upcoming road or shared path works
around or near Yarra?

Please let us know & we'll add them to get the word out.

  * Public google calendar: http://www.yarrabug.org/events/
  * On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/YarraBUGRadio/events/

--
*Listen to Yarra Bicycle Users Group Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/>*
*Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio

---