[YarraBUG-list] Vale Alan Parker OAM

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Sat Apr 2 13:20:27 AEDT 2016

Dear all,

Sad news this week with the passing of Alan Parker OAM just two days shy
of his 80th birthday, read below for a brief overview of Alan's
contributions to cycling and funeral details for this Monday.
*
**Vale Alan Parker OAM
*http://www.yarrabug.org/2016/03/31/vale-alan-parker-oam/*
*
*From Bruce Robinson:* I am sorry to report that Alan Parker died on
Easter Monday. He left a momentous legacy of work in bicycle planning
and advocacy. He was an important mentor and advisor to me.

*From Doreen Parker:* Thank your kind thoughts. The funeral will be held
at Cirrus Reflections Space, Bunurong Memorial Park, 790 Frankston
Dandenong Road, Dandenong South on Monday April 4th at 2pm. No flowers
please but donations can be made to Medicins Sans Frontiers. Envelopes
will be available at the Chapel. Further information: Tobin Bros 034
5975 2233.

*Make a donation to Médecins Sans Frontières:* Bicycle and sustainable
transport activist Alan Arthur Parker passed away on 28th March 2016.
His funeral will be held on 4th April. In lieu of flowers, donations to
MSF are invited
https://msfinmemory.everydayhero.com/au/doreen-parker

*The Age: Online tributes for Alan Arthur Parker
*http://tributes.theage.com.au/obituaries/theage-au/obituary.aspx?pid=179432077*
*

*A brief overview of Alans contribution to cycling and sustainable
transport*

*Alan Parker PEST (People for Ecologically Sustainable Transport)* was
created by a small group of transport activists in 1996 to promote the
need for an ecologically sustainable transport system. A transport
system that greatly reduces road congestion, oil consumption and
greenhouse gas emissions and increases the level of incidental exercise
in travelling from A to B.
http://www.alanparker-pest.org/

*Online Opinion: Bicycles: sustainable transport needs city
infrastructure (30 May 2012)*
For 30 years I was an advocate for bicycle Infrastructure. For 10 years
I was an advocate for electric bicycles. I did this for aged people like
me, who are falling to bits, have dodgy hearts and hips and find it
painful to walk. I got my OAM ‘gong’ due to referees who knew what I had
achieved. As two of them told me, I was ‘gong worthy’ because I was a
rat bag who made things happen. Now, with an OAM after my name, it makes
advocacy easier.

My bicycle advocacy started in the1970’s in the era of the Board of
Works, and the Country Roads Board. These predecessors of VicRoads
wanted to bury the Melbourne Bikeplan, after its approval by the Hamer
government, as did VicRoads in the 1980s and 1990s. In 2012 the Premier
wants to bury Hamer’s initiative by dumping the generous bikeway funding
promised in 2011 by Transport Minister Mulder.
Read more: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=13676

*It’s an honour: Alan Arthur Parker OAM*
For service to the community, particularly through Bicycle Victoria.
Founding Member, Bicycle Institute of Victoria, 1975; President, for 2
years; Research
Officer, for 12 years.
Vice-President, Bicycle Federation of Australia.
Member, State Government Bicycle Planning Committee, for many years.
Planning work, the Geelong Bike Plan and other bike paths in Melbourne.
Acting President, Town and Country Planning Association, for 2 years;
Vice-President;
Committee Member; Member, for many years.
Member, Public Transport Users Association, for many years
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?aus_award_id=1145394&search_type=quick&showInd=true

--
*Listen to Yarra Bicycle Users Group Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/>*
*Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio