[YarraBUG-list] Cycle Chic Bikefun

Nicholas Dow nik at cbdweb.net
Mon Jul 19 13:14:53 AEST 2010

Here is your list of bikefun events and more.  Love to see you on a ride
soon!
Check back at http://bikefun.org/calendar.html for latest updates, or
follow us on twitter @bikefunmelb

Cycle Chic Friday at Denmark House - Friday 23rd July
5:00PM, free if you arrive by bicycle wearing finest cycle chic attire.
Mikael Colville©\Andersen promotes fashionable urban cycling at Denmark
House.
The sea of bicycles surrounding 428 Little Bourke Street will provide a
unique photographic opportunity for all media parties. Bookings essential
96004477, http://www.denmarkhouse.com.au/contact  Mikael speaks at 6pm.
Meals can be purchased.

Pub Bug - Friday 23rd July
6:00PM Mountain Goat Brewery Cnr North St & Clarke & St Richmond

Helmetless ride for bike share - Saturday 24th July
10:00AM Bike Share station, Tin Alley University of Melbourne. Dress:
political cycle chic, namely, looking good in our normal clothes minus
Lycra, glo vests, and helmets, indeed anything which says cycling is
dangerous.
We¡¯ll risk fines as we ride around Carlton to show what Bike share could
look like if not stifled by our compulsory helmet laws.
Mikael Colville-Andersen, the renowned Danish cycling consultant and
blogger, who¡¯s in Melbourne to give a talk (see above and below), will
cover our ride for his famous blog, Copenhagenize.com.  More information:
http://www.situp-cycle.com/2010/07/18/riding-for-bike-share/

State of Design Festival - Saturday 24th July
2:00PM, BMW Edge, Fed Square  Cost:  $22.00
Speaker: Denmark's Bicycle Ambassador Mikael Colville- Anderson of
Copenhagenize.
Mikael Colville-Andersen is a filmmaker, photographer and urban mobility
expert who is also known as Denmark's Bicycle Ambassador. He lectures
around the world on how cities can and should re-establish the bicycle as
a respected and accepted transport form. In his presentation 'Four Goals
for Promoting Urban Cycling', Colville-Andersen explains Copenhagen's
journey ¨C then, now and into the future ¨C towards establishing the bicycle
as a feasible, acceptable form of transport. Colville-Andersen shows how
other cities can be inspired by the Copenhagen experience.
More info and bookings:
http://www.stateofdesign.com.au/Public-Events/talks/Melbourne-cycling-forum

Full Moon Ride - Monday 26th July
7:30PM Laverton Station (Werribee line)
Catch the 6:45 pm from Flinders Street Station Platforms 4&5 (western end
- last carriage). Ride by the light of the full moon along the western
shore of Port Phillip Bay back to the city (~30km). Great coastal scenery
& a fun ride. Mainly bike paths with a little on-road. Bring food, drink
and good conversation to share for a picnic on the way :) Also bring a
warm jacket as sometimes the evening sea breeze can be a little too cool
for school. Organiser: X-rider 0417145375

Critical Mass - Friday 30th July
5:30PM - State Library.  Last month it rained, we watched ice hockey and
ended up at a very nice West Melbourne Pub for dinner.  Who knows where we
will go this month?

Hume BUG - Sunday 1st Aug
10AM Craigieburn Library, ride Aitken Creek to Highlands Lake. 14km, 1.5
hours return plus time at caf¨¦. Very Easy grade on mostly cycle paths
Ride Leader Kevin Balaam (or contact Stephen)

Folding & Friends ride - Sunday 1st Aug
10:00AM Saffs Cafe, Castlemaine.  Ride next to Castlemaine - Maldon train
line to Muckleford (8km).  Bring picnic.  Dirt roads.  See the Maldon
steam train.  Each ride I profile another folding picture. This time we
have pictures of a NEW folding bike (the Bilby) and the folding rack for
small wheels. Hopefully John (designer and producer of this bike) will be
on the ride to answer any questions. Organiser: Paddy. Mob: 0408 841218

Bikefest Melbourne Wed 24th - Sun 28th November
Bikefest is a new event for Melbourne that celebrates and advocates for
bikes as part of everyday life. Bikefest is planned and delivered by the
same volunteer committee that brought you the Melbourne Bicycle Film
Festival from 2007-09. More information:
http://www.melbournebikefest.com.au
[Bikefun note: no news on the bicycle film festival at this stage.]

OTHER PLACES TO FIND RIDES:

Banyule Bug: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~banylbug/rides.html
Darebin Bug: http://www.darebinbug.org.au/rides.html

Cyclic Bikes to Mountain Goat - Fridays
6pm sharp Cyclic Bikes, 56 Pin Oak Cres (opposite Newmarket Station)
Ride from Flemington to Mountain Goat Brewery (Richmond). Different route
each week, faster than your average bikefun ride.

YarraBUG Radio - Every Monday on 3CR
Broadcasting every Monday at 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio 855am
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio
Have an idea, want to be interviewed or have program feedback?  We welcome
your contribution, after all YarraBUG Radio is here for you to help you
make your cycling safe, fun and infectious for others. YarraBUG Radio-
streaming live on the web at: http://www.3cr.org.au/3CR_streaming

Most rides go at a social pace, run rain or shine, and are free (like the
streets themselves).

BikeFun depends on people like you to create events and contribute to
Melbourne's creative bike community. Organise a ride (or whatever) and
BikeFun will promote it. email details to: bikefun at nikdow.net

To subscribe to the Bike Fun email, send a blank email to:
bikefunmelbourne-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Forward this email to all your friends.
http://bikefun.org

Bike Fun Melbourne list homepage and archives:
http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/bikefunmelbourne
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to: