[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG December Newsletter 2010

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Wed Dec 8 08:08:37 AEDT 2010

YarraBUG December Newsletter 2010

    * YarraBUG Radio
    * 3CR Raffle Draw
    * City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee
    * Farewell Tony Barter
    * News from Transurban - Main Yarra Trail - Burnley Harbour
    * City of Stonnington - Bicycle Parking Summary Report
    * 2011  Australian Cycling Conference
    * 2011 Dutch Bike Tour
    * The High Cost of Free Parking
    * Review of the Australian Road Rules
    * National Urban Policy -  Open for Public Comment until 1 March 2011

*
**1. YarraBUG Radio on 3CR*
We're finally getting moreup to date with our weekly podcasts, recent
interviews include Faith Hunter from the new Treadlie magazine, Michelle
Brunsmann's bicycle tour of Colombia & five members of the Otesha crew
about their upcoming tour of Victoria.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio
http://www.3cr.org.au/aggregator/sources/3352
*
3CR Raffle Draw*
Have you got yourself a 3CR Raffle ticket? It's not too late! You could
win: a GIANT Bike from Lygon Cycles, a double pass to the Boite Singers
Festival in Daylesford, a custom made Crumpler Bag, a new hair do from
Red Room, or a Gift Voucher from the Last Record Store. Tickets are
still available for $2 or 3 for $5. Drop into the station at 21 Smith
Street Fitzroy during business hours, or email admin at 3cr.org.au and we
can send you out a book of tickets to sell to your friends. The 3CR
Raffle with be drawn on air on Wednesday 15 December at 3.30pm.

*
2. City of Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee -  Wednesday, 8 December 2010*
Fitzroy Town Hall, 6.30- 7:30pm,  Mayor's Room
Message from Kate: To access the Town Hall please enter via central
stairs in Napier Street and come up the stairs to the second level, the
glass doors should be open but knock on them if not. On the off chance
the front door isn't open please go around to the courtyard accessed via
Moor Street and use the lift in the corner.  Press the button marked
'Mayors Room'.  Alternatively give me a call and I will come and get
you.  Mob: 0438 616 097.

Chair: Cr Sam Gaylard. Secretariat: Kate Simnett, Sustainable Transport
Officer
Agenda items: Welcome and apologies
Item 1 -- Ride to Work Day Report (5 minutes, 6.30pm -- 6.35pm) Kate to
present de-brief & discuss.
Item 2 - Nicholson Street Bicycle Facilities -- City of Melbourne
(10min, 6.35pm -- 6.45pm) City of Melbourne have proposed facilities on
Nicholson Street. Proposal to be discussed.
Item 3 - Finalisation of New Principal Bicycle Network & Bicycle
Priority Routes (15min, 6.45pm -- 7.00pm) Kate will present updated
draft from VicRoads for comments.
Item 4 - Shared Trails & Behaviour Change (5min, 7.00pm -- 7.05pm) Kate
will make a brief presentation on this topic.
Item 5 - Abbotsford/Clifton Hill Route & Wellington Street Update
(10min, 7.05pm -- 7.15pm) Alistair McDonald to present.
Other Items (7:15pm -- 7:30pm)
Next meeting -- February 2011 - TBC, Fitzroy Town Hall

*3. Farewell Tony Barter*
I received this message last week from Kathy Brunning via the vicbugchat
list. Tony was the original Cycle Angel and an absolutely top bloke. He
shall be sadly missed by Melbourne's cycling community.

****
Hi fellow BUGgies,
I assume some of you may know the prolific Tony Barter: former BV
staffer, WARBY (We're Right Behind You - teams of helpful folk who help
out on BV's multi-day event rides), Cycle Angel, MBTC member, Tandem
Club member, Learn to Ride a Bike tutor with Jika Jika Community Centre,
ride leader/cycling promoter/inspirational extraordinaire, former Bike
Ed teacher, and supernice bloke, not to mention a former Darebin BUG
member (especially in the BUG's early days)... he's just lost a long
fight with cancer. I thought you may like to know. I was forwarded the
following email by his family tonight.

Happy cycling,

Kathy

****
Dear friends of Tony,

With great sadness we want to let you know that Tony passed away
peacefully Sunday (28 November) night at 9.30pm with his family present.
After a long struggle, Tony moved into palliative care for the last
month of his life. We greatly appreciate the care and attention he
received from the entire staff at the Austin Repat Hospital and his many
friends and family. Tony is now free of pain and free to ride. The
family is planning Tony

****
Dear Family and Friends
Here are the details:

When: Sat 11th Dec
Time:  8.45am for a 9 start (if people want to put up photos before
hand, may need to be there around 8.40)
Place: Fairfield Amphitheatre (Mel:30 J12)

Bring bikes and wear bike colours/gear and footy colours where possible
Flowers/petals for two (incase people forget) to cast into the river at
about 10am after the Celebration of Life
We have been advised that the bikes are not to be chained to hand rails
leading down to the Ampitheartre
Bring a cushion if sitting on stone is too hard
A devonshire tea to follow around 10.30 at the Boathouse tea rooms close by
  Donations: The following is one to consider, but if you have a
favourite charity you would like to donate to in Tony's honour, please
feel free to do so.

Tribute to Tony Barter:
Donate to the Central Asia Institute
Tony was a life-long teacher and passionate believer in the power of
education to improve the world. Set up by the author of 3 Cups of Tea,
Greg Mortenson, the Central Asia Institute delivers education to
children, particularly girls, in remote Pakistan and Afghanistan. They
work hard to deliver schools that communities are proud of and get
maximum benefit from, with every dollar going a long way. All donations
to CAI will continue the positive social change Tony dedicated his life
to achieving. Donations are only one way to continue Tony's legacy; be
inspired by Tony, get active and improve the world.
www.ikat.org/make-a-donation

Many thanks
Barter Family, Neil 9878 0783, Peter 9879 4874
*

LOCAL NEWS*

*4. News from Transurban - Main Yarra Trail - Burnley Harbour - 3 Week
Christmas Reopening*
We have been given the all clear to reopen the Main Yarra Trail for 3
weeks over the Christmas works shutdown, which is terrific news!
Following is some information for your members. CityLink would like to
advise that the Main Yarra Trail at Burnley Harbour will be reopened
over the Christmas works shutdown period for 3 weeks. The Trail will be
opened by 4.00pm on December 17th 2010 and remain so until 9.30am Monday
10th January 2011.  It will then remain closed with the detour between
Barkly Avenue and Mary Street remaining in place until Friday 11th March
2011. For further information on the Southern Link Upgrade in general,
please visit the Southern Link Road works page on the project website at
www.mcwupgrade.com.au

*
5. City of Stonnington - Bicycle Parking Summary Report *
The report provides the findings of an audit of bicycle parking
availability and demand in shopping strips across the municipality.
Council is seeking feedback on the findings including the priority
locations and the preferred style of parking facilities. The City of
Stonnington Bicycle Parking Survey can be accessed via the link below:
http://www.asr5.com/Community/se.ashx?s=10ADC3840F60321F
Or via the Stonnington website - www.stonnington.vic.gov.au (search
Bicycle Parking Survey)

*BICYCLE & TRANSPORT RELATED NEWS*

*6. 2011 Australian Cycling Conference*
The Australian Cycling Conference series continues in 2011 and will be
held at the Rockford Adelaide.
The expanded 2-day, single-stream gathering will be held on Monday 17 &
Tuesday 18 January. This conference provides an opportunity for
academics, practitioners and advocates of cycling to present their
cycling research and new cycling projects. It will be an excellent
occasion to network with people involved in cycling research, policy
development, planning and project implementation. The conference aims to
develop and disseminate cycling research, knowledge and expertise.
Online registration is now open for the Conference. Early bird rates
apply until November 26th and are automatically calculated for you.
More at: http://www.australiancyclingconference.org

*7. 2011 Dutch Bike Tour*
Message from Paul from Gazelle Bicycles Australia: Hello cycling friends,
In May 2011 I am organising a Dutch Bicycle Study Tour for at least 30
Australians who will be learning about best bicycle infrastructure
practice and sharing that information with their contacts on return to
Australia. The journey will be filmed by 2 documentary film makers and
they are looking for sponsors for the trip. There will be a website set
up that will be used as a resource for local planners, cyclists and
media and I believe will be a very popular website into the future since
I receive many emails about this trip.

If you or your business/organisation can help support the documentary
film makers you are eligible for some great rewards. If you have a
website/magazine that distributes bike related news and views I would be
very appreciative of you can pass on the link -
http://www.indiegogo.com/Cycling-Dutch-Style?a=56151&i=addr
Thanks for any help! Cycle safe and take care

*
8. The High Cost of Free Parking*
The High Cost of Free Parking seminar with Professor Donald Shoup was
held on the 4th November. For those who where unable to attend, we have
made Podcasts and PowerPoint presentations available at
http://www.sensibletransport.org.au/project/high-cost-free-parking-seminar-4th-november-2010

Download Podcasts and PowerPoints from leading transport experts
including: Professor Donald Shoup, described by the Wall Street Journal
as a"parking rock star" Professor Graham Currie, Australia's first
Professor of Public Transport Feel free to contact us if you have any
questions. Elliot Fishman Director Institute for Sensible Transport Ph:
+61 3 9489 7307 info at sensibletransport.org.au www.sensibletransport.org.au

*
9. Review of the Australian Road Rules*
The National Transport Commission invites interested parties to register
their interest in a review of the Australian road rules. What are the
Australian road rules? The Australian Transport Council approved the
Australian road rules in 1999. This was the first time Australia had the
basis for a national set of road rules. Prior to the adoption of
national road rules, some road rules varied between state and
territories. Drivers accustomed to road rules in one state or territory
were faced with variations when they drove in another. This caused
driver confusion with the potential to impact on road safety and
transport efficiency. The Australian road rules are 'model laws', that
is, laws that serve to form the basis for road rules in each state and
territory.

The review will run over two years, commencing in late 2010. It will
involve the development of a discussion paper and evaluation report
identifying improvement outcomes, which will then be submitted to the
Australian Transport Council (ATC) for consideration. Any recommended
changes or amendments will be passed on to states and territories to
implement.
The NTC will consult widely with government organisations, industry and
users of the rules throughout all stages of the review -- from informing
the scope of the review, developing the discussion paper and finally,
the evaluation report. If you would like to register your interest in
this review, or if you have any comments on the scope of the review or
any other feedback or information you would like to provide, please
contact NTC on: enquiries at ntc.gov.au
or Review of the Australian Road Rules, National Transport Commission,
Level 15, 628 Bourke St, Melbourne 3000,  Ph:61 3 9236 5000, Fax: 61 3
9642 8922

*10. National Urban Policy -  Open for Public Comment until 1 March 2011*
Our Cities - building a productive, sustainable and liveable future is
open for comments and feedback. This discussion paper is accompanied by
a Background and Research Paper Our Cities - the challenge of change.
Our Cities sets out the Australian Government's thinking on a national
approach to urban development and the challenges we must address for our
cities to become more productive, sustainable and liveable. The purpose
of the discussion paper is to frame the Australian Government's policy
approach to cities as the basis for a National Urban Policy to be
released in 2011. It will establish national directions and objectives
for our cities as we prepare for the decades ahead. The discussion paper
outlines the Australian Government's aspirations under the themes of
productivity, sustainability and liveability, and recognises the
importance of good planning and governance.  It aims to stimulate a
national discussion on the outcomes we need for our cities.

Your feedback will guide how we make our cities more productive,
sustainable and liveable. Following consideration of your comments, the
Australian Government will set out the policy and program actions that
are needed to achieve what we want for our cities. The Australian
Government has prepared a list of 28 questions in the discussion paper.
You will need to submit your response by 5pm on Tuesday 1 March 201.
More at:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure/mcu/urbanpolicy/index.aspx

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond