[YarraBUG-list] Quick Easter News Update

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Fri Apr 2 12:52:50 AEDT 2010

Hi all,

Happy you're having a great Easter break - here's some news updates:

    * City of Yarra Bicycle Strategy Launch
    * YarraBUG Radio
    * City of Yarra  Bicycle Advisory Committee
    * Canning/Pigdon Street upgrade
    * Holden Street Pipebridge Shared Path Opening
    * Main Yarra Trail Works - Closure of the Main Yarra Trail, Barkly
      Ave to Mary St
    * Warburton Cycle Fest

*
**1. City of Yarra Bicycle Strategy Launch*
The Bicycle Strategy was officially launched on Wednesday 31 March at
the Fitzroy Library. Thank you so much to EVERYONE who contributed to
the strategy - now we all have to ensure it's implemented appropriately
by 2015! For hard copies of the strategy, please contact the council
(03) 9205 5555 e info at yarracity.vic.gov.au
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/consultation/Bicycle%20Strategy.asp

*2. YarraBUG Radio *
The website has been upgraded & all podcasts are up to date. Got a idea
for content, want to be interviewed? Contact us!
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/

Also, 3CR are going digital on May 1, read here for more details:
http://www.3cr.org.au/news/3cr-moves-future-3crdigital

*3. City of Yarra  Bicycle Advisory Committee
*Next meeting is Wednesday 21 April. All meetings will be held on a
Wednesday at FitzroyTown Hall, 6.30- 7:30pm. These meetings are open to
the public & anyone initersted in Yarra cycling issues. (they also have
great catering!) To RSVP, contact Mark Kulyk, Coordinator Transport,
Telephone 9205 5737, Email Mark.Kulyk[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Consultation/Bicycle%20advisory%20committee/index.asp

*4. Canning/Pigdon Street upgrade*
Cast your minds back to 2006, YarraUG made a submission regarding this
rather problematic roundabout.
http://www.yarrabug.org/YarraBUGPigdonCanningSubmissionJune06.pdf

City of Yarra: Improving road safety in North Carlton
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Publications/Media%20Releases/Road%20Safety.asp
Road safety at the intersection of North Carlton's Canning and Pigdon
streets will be improved, with a $102,000 project to begin in early
April.  Jointly funded by Yarra City Council and the Department of
Transport, the project will alter the intersection to reduce conflict
between cars and cyclists. The intersection will no longer operate as a
roundabout. Stop signs will be installed on both sides of Pigdon Street,
requiring vehicles to stop for traffic on Canning Street. Give Way signs
will be installed in the middle of the intersection, requiring vehicles
to give way to intersecting traffic travelling along Canning Street.

*5. Holden Street Pipebridge Shared Path Opening - 10.30-11.30am,
Saturday 3rd April 2010
*The new pipe bridge spanning the Merri Creek and providing shared path
access from Northcote to North Fitzroy will be opened by the Minister of
Transport this Easter Saturday. The result of a joint project, the
Wurundjeri will welcome people to the site, followed by words from
Minister Pallas, the local member and Darebin & Yarra representatives.*

**6. **News from Monash-CityLink-Westgate upgrade - **Main Yarra Trail
Works - Closure of the Main Yarra Trail, Barkly Ave to Mary St*
In order to carry out works on CityLink as part of the M1 Upgrade, a
section of the Main Yarra Trail between Barkly Ave and Mary St will be
closed from Monday 12 April until approximately August 2010. During this
time a detour route will be signed that will take trail users via Barkly
Avenue, Allan Bain Reserve and Mary St  The detour provided avoids
heavily trafficked areas and has been used successfully in the past.
Temporary signs will be placed at key locations to guide traffic along
the detour route.  Trail users are notified of the upcoming closures via
on trail signage.  Information has also been posted on a range of
relevant stakeholder websites. Works requiring the closure of the Main
Yarra Trail will be completed as a priority in order to re-open the
Trail as soon as practicable. For further information on these works or
the Southern Link Upgrade in general, please call our project office on
8420 9500.

*7. Warburton Cycle Fest*
News from Danny: We (WAL- a small community group) are holding a cycle
fest in Warburton, 1st & 2nd May. We invite you all to come and join in
the fun, spectating & some activities free, & it is a our aim is to keep
entry costs at a minimum to encourage maximum participation, we have a
lot of different come & try events from bike polo, social rides, chariot
tournaments to art bikes, as well as road, cyclo-cross, XC, DH, hill
climb, Penny Farthings & fixies racing. Please check out our web site
for more info.  www.warburtoncyclefest.com.au Hope to see you all there,

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond