[YarraBUG-list] Cycling Promotion Fund: E-Newsletter June 2009

Cycling Promotion Fund office at cyclingpromotion.com.au
Mon Jun 29 14:23:46 AEST 2009

Having difficulty reading this email?
Click here to view online:  <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/%20> http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/

This Cycling Promotion Fund newsletter includes updates on a number of campaigns and strategies to encourage cycling and to gain greater Commonwealth funding for cycling infrastructure and effective interventions to increase cycling.

*	Australian <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/#AustralianCyclingOrganisationSurvey>  Cycling Organisations Survey
*	Commonwealth <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/#CommonwealthStimulusPackageBoostsCyclingInvestment>  Stimulus Package Boosts Cycling Investment
*	Effective <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/#EffectiveInterventionstoIncreaseCycling>  Interventions to Increase Cycling
*	Cycling <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/#CyclingSafetyVideoClips>  Safety Video Clips
*	Promotion <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/410/#PromotionandAdvocacyResources>  and Advocacy Resources

Australian Cycling Organisations Survey

The  Australian cycling sector has a comprehensive network of local, state and national cycling organisations. According to a research project conducted by the CPF in May there are an estimated 1,115 cycling organisations around Australia covering urban, regional and rural areas in all states and territories.

Previously little information has been available about the range and scope of their activities, a critical step for us to be able to argue for funded programs to be made available to the cycling sector. To fill this information gap, we contacted 800 cycling organisations to encourage them to complete an online survey. Thank you for those who have responded.

We received 185 responses from a diverse range of organisations around Australia. The survey has provided us with some excellent information to demonstrate to Government that the cycling sector plays an instrumental role in encouraging, maintaining and increasing physical activity levels in the community and has the capacity to expand those activities.

*	Read the full report on the survey findings <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/Summary%20of%20survey%20findings.pdf>  (PDF file, 194kb)

The CPF’s  Government Relations Representative, Stephen Hodge has been actively working to expand and strengthen our input at the federal level to make a stronger case for Government investment and support for cycling and these survey outcomes have already been presented to senior Government officials as part of our regular meeting.

Commonwealth Stimulus Package Boosts Cycling Investment

It is great to see that the stimulus package of the Australian Government will boost cycling investment around Australia in 2009/10.

Regional and Local Community Infrastructure (CIP)
The Federal Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government has recently announced the grants made under the Local and Community Infrastructure program and the CPF is pleased to note that 113 councils have made a commitment to allocate some of the funding received through the CIP program for cycling and shared path infrastructure.

Last year the Cycling Promotion Fund (CPF) conducted a national awareness campaign for this national local government funding program. Every local council in Australia was contacted by the CPF to raise awareness of the multiple benefits of creating more cycling and walking friendly communities and to encourage them to utilise the CIP funding to expand their network of cycling infrastructure and shared trails.

This has combined with other efforts from State governments to assist their local councils to develop bike proposals and achieved some great outcomes.

We congratulate the eight councils which allocated the full amount of their CIP funding for cycling and/or shared paths. Their vision and commitment to invest in local community infrastructure which encourages healthy, active and sustainable living will leave a long term legacy benefiting the whole community.

Below are lists of the cycling and shared path investments from the CIP funding for each State.

*	New South Wales <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/NSW%20Local%20and%20Community%20Infrastructure%20Investment.pdf>   (PDF file, 170kb)
*	Northern Territory <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/NT%20Local%20and%20Community%20Infrastructure%20Investment.pdf>   (PDF file,107kb)
*	Queensland <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/QLD%20Local%20and%20Community%20Infrastructure%20Investment.pdf>   (PDF file,124kb)
*	South Australia <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/SA%20Local%20and%20community%20infrastructure%20investment.pdf>   (PDF file,124kb)
*	Tasmania <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/TAS%20Local%20and%20Community%20Infrastructure%20Investment.pdf>   (PDF file, 132kb)
*	West Australia <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/WA%20Local%20and%20Community%20Infrastructure%20Investment.pdf>   (PDF file, 135kb)
*	Victoria <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/LGAInfrastructureJune09/VIC%20Local%20and%20Community%20Infrastructure%20Investment.pdf>  (PDF file, 131kb)

Why not check out if your local council has allocated some of their funding for cycling projects and if so congratulate them and keep an eye on progress.

Strategic Regional and Local community Infrastructure Program
>From the $550 million funding for strategic regional and local community infrastructure projects, $35 million has been allocated for projects which improve cycling and walking infrastructure.  For the list of projects funded under the strategic regional and local community infrastructure program

*	Read <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/downloads/CommonwealthFundingStrategicLocalandCommunityInfrastruture.pdf>  a extract of cycling and walking related projects allocated from Commonwealth Community Infrastructure Program (PDF file, 100kb)

$40 million National Bike Path Funding as part of the Jobs Program
The CPF has encouraged local councils around Australia to apply for funding for cycling infrastructure under the jobs funding program. We have been positively surprised by the many inquiries we received from around Australia.  Applications have closed and hopefully the announcement of the successful applications will be made soon to enable councils to get started with the projects which need to be completed in 2009/10.

The CPF hopes that this commitment by local governments across Australia clearly signals to the Commonwealth the growing realisation of the benefits to Australia and is the start of greater Commonwealth support to local councils to improve mobility, accessibility and liveability of our communities.

These three programs alone will result in the single biggest federal stimulus to fund cycling infrastructure ever in this country and compliment the substantial investments being made by both State and Local governments across the country. While our estimates place the likely total federal stimulus at around $100 million and is a good start, a lot more remains to be achieved, especially in ongoing funding programs. We are actively engaged on a number of fronts to improve this figure and will continue to inform the sector of our efforts.

Effective interventions to increase cycling

The CPF has been researching and documenting effective interventions to increase cycling in a range of categories:

*	Education and Skill Development
*	Events
*	Regular rides
*	Social Marketing
*	Targeted Interventions
*	Community-Wide Interventions
*	Policy and Environmental Approaches

We have made a strong case to the Commonwealth that a broad range of interventions are needed to address the individual, cultural and environmental factors that influence people’s participation in physical activity. There is no single strategy that works.

Later this month, the Preventative Health Taskforce will release a National Preventative Health Strategy to make Australia the healthiest country by 2020. Hopefully the recommendations will include a focus on incidental physical activity such as cycling and walking to improve the health and well-being of our nation and result in a boost to funding for effective interventions.  Feel free to contact us if you like a summary of effective interventions to increase cycling.

Cycling Safety Video Clips

A reminder that the cycling safety video clips developed by the Cycling Promotion Fund and the Amy Gillett Foundation with funding support from TAC, are available both online

*	View the <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/384/147/>  Cycling Safety Video Clips

These clips are available as DVD from the CPF office <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/component/option,com_contact/Itemid,141/task,view/contact_id,2/>  ($5 dollar charge per DVD includes postage). They are a terrific resource to be used at displays, schools, seminars and workshops and information sessions to provide bicycle riders with practical tips to avoid some common risk when cycling in traffic.

We encourage you all to include a link from your website to the cycling safety clips.  To make it easier to include a link, we have developed web <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/386/147/>  banners which can be downloaded from our site.

Promotion and Advocacy Resources

The CPF has developed a range of resources targeted at people interested in taking up cycling as well as resources targeted at  organisation interested in promoting cycling and in advocating for cycling improvements and greater investment.

*	Promotional <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/resources/cycling-issue-sheets/>  Resources
*	Advocacy <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/resources/cycling-faqs/>  and Research Publications
*	Resources <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/resources/publications/>  and Submissions
*	You <http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/images/stories/PublicationsOrderFormMay09.pdf>  can download an order form from our website.

For not for profit cycling organisations, a certain quantity of our publications are free. Keep up the great work in promoting and encouraging cycling. Together we can make a difference.

Kind regards,

The Cycling Promotion Fund Team
Email: office at cyclingpromotion.com.au
PO Box 3052 Auburn Victoria 3123
Ph (03) 9818 5400 Fax (03) 9818 4535

www.rideabike.com.au
www.vote4cycling.com.au
www.cyclingawards.com.au  <http://www.cyclingawards.com.au%20>
An initiative of the Bicycling Industry in Australia