[YarraBUG-list] April Bike Fun

Nicholas Dow nik at cbdweb.net
Sun Apr 5 11:47:31 AEST 2009

Bike Fun Melbourne presents...

Check back at http://bikefun.org/calendar.html for latest updates

*******************************
HippyHippy Shake Ride - Tuesday 7th April
*******************************
6pm state library Swanston St.  Dinner in chinatown, ride to Carlton for
an evening of alternative dance to fun electronic music in a big community
hall (no alcohol).  $15 at the door.  finishes around 10pm.  Organiser
jellyware.

*******************************
Full Moon Ride - Thursday 9th April
*******************************
All the riders on the March FMR from Diamond Creek thought it was such a
nice ride that we are risking déjà vu to do it all again.  We'll venture
past Eltham to semi-rural Diamond Creek and follow the whole Diamond Creek
trail to Westerfolds Park where we'll have a rest break at the Mia Mia
Gallery picnic area for (BYO) refreshments.  For those who want to keep
the ride to an easy 20km, Heidelberg Station is a good opt-out point (2Hr
Metcards should be valid to 3am), Others can continue to ride to Clifton
Hill making it a 30km ride.  Meet Flinders St Station at 6:30pm to catch
the 6:40pm Hurstbridge Train (last carriage) to Diamond Creek Station
(arriving 7:38pm).

As always bring drinks & nibblies and good conversation to share. (There
is a supermarket & bottleshop beside D.C. station for those who need to
shop late)
Organizer: Rider-X 0417145375

Reasonably Fast Rides - Thursday 16th April
6:30pm North Melbourne Town Hall.  Riding about 20km & faster than your
average bikefun ride - on roads
Organiser: Stevie

Proposed Pub Crawl - Friday 17th April
6pm meeting outside the State Library Swanston St.  Details to be
determined, but based on a recent survey in http://melbournism.com for
melbournes "best worst" bars.  Final details next email, but considering
an "orienteering course" where groups split off and visit pubs in random
order.  Maybe using Twitter to keep in touch throughout the evening.  OTOH
if attendance is not large, can do it in a single group.
Organiser: Jellyware.

Goatage - Friday 17th April
6pm Mountain Goat Brewery, Cnr North St & Clarke & St Richmond.  Come
celebrate a love of the amber liquid, talk bikes and general guff.
Organiser: Hijustmepete

Melbourne Roobaix - Saturday 18th April
12pm Federation Square, Entry $10.  Melburn Roobaix is a cycle rally for
all ages, abilities and bicycle persuasions.  The 'gruelling' course
covers Melburn's most treacherous cobbled lanes, over railways, stopping
only at cafes - bound for Col d'Ugly and a lap of the glorious Brunswick
Velodrome.  Be early.  More information:
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=137702070653&h=kSgzY&u=RMwO8

Critical Mass - Friday 24th April and Last Friday every month.
5:30PM - State Library.  BTW See video of the Low Down Street Orchestra,
including some footage of a previous CM:
http://www.youtube.com/lowdownstreetorchest

Reasonably Fast Rides - Thursday 30th April
6:30pm North Melbourne Town Hall.  Riding about 20km approx - faster than
your average bikefun ride - on roads
Organiser: Stevie

Full Moon Ride - Friday 8th May
7:45pm ? Roxburgh Park station, Craigieburn Line.  Catch the 6:49 or 6:58
from Flinders St.  Ride down the Shankland Valley Trail and Moonee Ponds
Creek Path to Docklands.  There are easy exits @ Pascoe Vale Station or
Flemington Bridge Station if you don?t have the time or legs for 35 Km.
Bring something to share and we?ll picnic at Gowanbrae or Boeing Reserve.
The ride is mostly down hill and a north wind is perfect.
Organiser: Brunswick Bike Boy

Geelong Full Moon Ride - Saturday 9th May
We are going to head to the You Yangs because a little bird tells us there
is already going to be much mirth and merriment occuring there that
evening.   See www.geelongaustralia.com.au/connectingidentities  More
details will follow - although listed as a more demanding ride, the pace
and social aspect will be the same, just a bit longer than the normal
rides.  But we will organise 'short cuts' for beginners or those who don't
want a long ride. More information
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=158552329&blogId=471132650

North Melbourne to Abbotsford Convent - Sunday 17th May
10 am North Melbourne Town Hall.
A Sunday morning ride along quiet streets to Abbotsford Convent and
Collingwood Children?s Farm. The return trip will be mostly offroad, and
uses the Main Yarra, Merri Creek and Capital City trails. We will take a
coffee break and the Convent bakery or the Children?s Farm café (depends
on crowds). There will be time to admire some of the animals and to visit
the glassblowing studio at the Convent.  The total distance covered is
about 20 km with about half on roads. There are some undulations. The ride
is suitable for riders of all abilities, including children. Geared bikes
are recommended.
Organiser: Helen

REGULAR EVENTS:

The Crosskeys Crusiers - Strathmore - Friday rides
The Crosskeys Crusiers are a group of retired men and women who meet in
the Crosskeys CarPark near the Strathmore station at 9am on Friday
mornings.
The rides are decided each Friday and the adventure begins. Some riders go
till morning tea while others ride till lunch and then homeat about 3pm.
New members most welcome to chat and share the experience  Telephone Max
93783501 or John 93707829

Along For The Ride - 3RRR
3RRR's bicycle podcast is riding along every fortnight! Download the
newest podcasts at http://www.rrr.org.au/programs/podcasts.
Also, we're seeking new contributors! If you have a thing for a good story
and happen to like bicycles of any sort too, we'd love to hear from you.
Radio experience is a bonus, but not mandatory. Email
alongfortherideradio at gmail.com for more info.
30 March: Join us for a trip to the Benalla Costume and Heritage Museum to
for vintage bicycles, bike attire, and how biking reflected women's
rights. Also, a chat with Rob Adams updating us on Swanston Street and
turning Melbourne into a city of the future.
10 April: Meet a fellow who's been over the highest roads in the
world...by bicycle. And, meet one of AFTR's newest contributors...!

Also, along For The Ride is expanding its collective! If you have a thing
for journalism, enjoy sharing stories and happen to like bicycles of any
sort too, we'd love to hear from you. We're looking for people who can
make some commitment to the show, but the definition of that could be
flexible. Radio experience is a bonus, but not mandatory. If you're
interested, send us an email at alongfortherideradio at gmail.com outlining
why you're interested and what you might bring to the show, and we'll be
in touch soon.  If you've got ideas but aren't interested in following
through on it yourself, we also welcome suggestions to the same email
address.

YarraBUG Radio - Every Monday on 3CR
Broadcasting every Monday at 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio 855am
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio
Have an idea, want to be interviewed or have program feedback?  We welcome
your contribution, after all YarraBUG Radio is here for you to help you
make your cycling safe, fun and infectious for others. YarraBUG Radio-
streaming live on the web at: http://www.3cr.org.au/3CR_streaming

Bike Polo!
Sundays 2.30pm until dusk @ the carpark in the Carlton Gardens (N.B.
temporary move to Northcote, thanks to State Government overruling
Melbourne City Council's decision to move the flower show out of the
Carlton Gardens - now at Corner of Hawthorn St and Helen St, Northcote;
just behind the Northcote Social Club at 301 High Street), normally is
west of the Exhibition Buildings. Bring a bike, beverage and yourself.
Mallets and ball provided.
Tuesdays from 7pm onwards on the rooftop carpark at Victoria Gardens,
corner Burnley and Victoria Streets Richmond.
Melbourne Bicycle Polo Club:
web http://www.bikepolo.com.au/
email melbourne.bicycle.polo.club at gmail.com

Every Friday
6pm sharp Cyclic Bikes, 56 Pin Oak Cres (opposite Newmarket Station)
Ride from Flemington to Mountain Goat Brewery (Richmond). Different route
each week, faster than your average bikefun ride.

Most rides go at a social pace, run rain or shine, and are free (like the
streets themselves).

BikeFun depends on people like you to create events and contribute to
Melbourne's creative bike community. Organise a ride (or whatever) and
BikeFun will promote it. email details to: bikefun at nikdow.net

To subscribe to the Bike Fun email, send a blank email to:
bikefunmelbourne-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Forward this email to all your friends.
http://bikefun.org

Bike Fun Melbourne list homepage and archives:
http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/bikefunmelbourne
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to: