[YarraBUG-list] [Fwd: [vicbugchat] FW: Clearway extension]

kemran mestan kemranmestan at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 26 14:06:45 AEST 2008

Hi all

  Following the previous Yarra BUG meeting, yarra bug is developing a position on clearways which individual members can then tweak and send out to Brumby, Kosky and Pallas. I have attached a draft letter which articulates some key points at the meeting.

  Sincerely

  Kemran

Yarra Bicycle Users Group <enquiries at yarrabug.org> wrote:
  Hi all,

Recalling this recent message to the YarraBUG list from Cr Jackie
Fristacky (see link below), Anna from MorelandBUG has written to State
Government regarding the changes to inner suburbs clearway operating
hours.

http://yarrabug.org/pipermail/yarrabug-list_yarrabug.org/2008-May/000053.html

In her letter (also see below), Anna makes several very important points
about what these changes could entail, especially at a crucial time when
more sustainable opinions should be more broadly canvassed, especially
with local communities and businesses who will be directly affected by
congestion and loss of amenities.

Another important aspect has also been overlooked with clearway changes,
that is, regardless of whether people like paying parking fees or not,
that it will lead to a drop in council revenue. Which could lead to other
unforeseen issues, like cuts in council services or increased fees
elsewhere.

If this issue concerns you, please make your opinions known and write to
the State Government. Also, this issue will be added to Sunday's YarraBUG
meeting agenda.

cheers,

Chris