[YarraBUG-list] July BikeFun and beyond

Nicholas Dow nik at nikdow.net
Tue Jul 1 21:49:43 AEST 2008

Bike Fun Melbourne presents...

***  July BikeFun and beyond ***
Some photos of the Solstice ride bonfire:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanbicyclist/sets/72157605782248917/show/

Rooftop bicycle polo: - Wednesday 2nd July
6:30pm
Rooftop carpark above IKEA Cnr Victoria St and Burnley St Richmond
Mallets and ball provided.  Bring a bike.

OzHpv Birthday ride: - Sunday 6th July
Meet between 10am and 11am, at the entrance to the St Kilda Pier, near Fitzroy
St, St Kilda for our "Come and Try Recumbent Day". (Nearest railway station:
Balaclava.) At 11am we ride to the banks of the Yarra. Lunch, Interminable
Speeches by the banks of the Yarra from 12 till 1. After that we ride to the
Hawthorn Bike track via the bike track on the South Side of the Yarra and the
Boulevarde. We return to the City and St. Kilda via the Boulevarde, Main Yarra
Trail and Port Melbourne, with a stop for Coffee in one of the
numerous cafes on the way. The total distance is 30 - 40k.
http://modularbikes.com.au/modular/1stmelbozhpv/10years.pdf

Morebug ride: CERES to the Abbotsford convent - Sunday 13th July
Meet 10am at CERES, East Brunswick.
Easy 20km ride - we will wander down the Merri Creek trail and then the Main
Yarra trail to Abbotsford Convent.
Distance: 20km.  Organiser: Ruth

Geelong Full Moon Bike Ride - Friday 18th July
Meet outside Café 9 Zero at 90 Pakington St, Geelong West to leave at 6.30pm.

BBQ dinner at Pt Henry which now has a significant wetland area, and offers a
charming view of Geelong at night time. We should be close to South Geelong
Rail Station by about 9.30pm giving plenty of time to get the last train
(10.15pm) back to Melbourne.

As a general rule, we have all those with a Christian name beginning with A-M
to bring a small salad or side dish to go with the main BBQ. Those with names
L-Z can bring a supper item such as cakes, biscuits, cheese, dips, chips, etc.
Everyone brings their own BBQ meat or substitute, but to get a nice sense of
community spirit, be prepared to share these with everyone.

For a view of the route check out:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/157451

Pub Bug - Friday 18th July
Mountain Goat Brewery, Corner North & Clark Streets, Richmond.
Potential to park your bike inside.
Every month on the third Friday.  Organiser: HiJustmePete

Decathalon Pub Crawl - Saturday 19th July
6pm to 2am
Stand by for details of the next decathalon pub crawl.

Morebug ride: Bay trail ride - Sunday 17th August
Meet at Flinders St Station at 10:05am, in front of the mural/mosaic near
Princes Bridge (and Clocks TAB)
Ride to Beacon Cove along the light rail trail. Follow the bay past St Kilda.
Stop for lunch along the way, and people can catch a train back when they are
ready (the fittest could head towards Frankston).
Organiser: Ruth.  Distance: 20km+

REGULAR EVENTS:

Every Friday
Ride from Flemington to Mountain Goat Brewery (Richmond).
Start Cyclic Bikes, 56 Pin Oak Cres (opposite Newmarket Station)
Leave 6pm sharp, different route each week, faster than your average bikefun
ride.

Bike Polo!

Most rides go at a social pace, run rain or shine, and are free (like the
streets themselves).

BikeFun depends on people like you to create events and contribute to
Melbourne's creative bike community. Organise a ride (or whatever) and BikeFun
will promote it. email details to: bikefun at nikdow.net

To subscribe to the Bike Fun email, send a blank email to:
bikefunmelbourne-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Forward this email to all your friends.
http://bikefun.org

Nik Dow