[YarraBUG-list] March 2022: Moving Forward: Yarra Councils Draft Transport Strategy

Yarra Bicycle Users Group admin at yarrabug.org
Fri Mar 25 16:50:49 AEDT 2022

Hi all,

Yarra's draft Transport Strategy is open for feedback to 11 April 2022,
at Your Say Yarra you can fill in a brief survey, download the 51 page
strategy and provide detailed feedback prior to the draft being adopted
by Yarra Council.

https://yoursayyarra.com.au/movingforward

On our recent 3CR program, Chris chatted to regular Yarra Bicycle Users
Group Radio guest, Jeremy Lawrence from Streets Alive
Yarra<https://streets-alive-yarra.org/transport-strategy/> about Moving
Forward: Yarra Councils draft Transport Strategy 2022. Local news
includes rising petrol prices having impacts on just about everything
and criticism about City of Melbourne bicycle infrastructure not getting
the expected audience

We discuss the draft Transport Strategy, how it aligns with best
practice, community engagement survey that closes on 11th April 2022,
changing transport demands in the Yarra area, how this strategy
supersedes prior council strategies, improved emphasis about riding to
school, benchmarks and how to support the draft strategy so the 15
policies can be adopted, then a action plan developed then budget
allocation can commence

Podcast link 1:
https://www.3cr.org.au/yarrabug/episode-202203141000/talking-about-moving-forward-yarra-councils-draft-transport-strategy

Podcast link 2:
https://www.yarrabug.org/radio/2022/03/14/yarrabug-radio-show-686-monday-14th-march-2022/

Listen to our weekly 3CR programs, 10am every Monday, on demand and
podcast: https://www.3cr.org.au/yarrabug/

Please forward this newsletter on to anyone you know who would be
interested.

You can subscribe and change email options right here, or email us if
you need a hand!

See below for more news, especially item 5 if you are also interested to
remedying the complete absence of bike stations in Yarra.

*****

_*Additional bicycle-themed-news*_

*1. Monash University Survey:* Understanding the experiences of
cyclists, Dr Amanda Stephens, Accident Research Centre
Complete the survey and  enter a draw to win one of five $100 Coles Myer
Gift Vouchers

https://monash.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cOLuFQHBlwuKTgG

*2. Cycled Study: City-wide bicycling exposure modelling study, this one
has even more prizes if you choose to complete it*
The project is led by the Sustainable Mobility and Safety Research Group
at Monash University.

https://www.monash.edu/medicine/cycled-study

*3. Moreland Council: 10 Year Capital Works Programs for Walking and
Cycling*
'Help us shape our plan to improve our network and get more people
walking and riding bikes in Moreland'

Consultation closes on 12 April 2022:
https://conversations.moreland.vic.gov.au/the-programs

*4. Darebin Council: New TravelSmart maps for 2022*
Find out where you can ride, with handy maps, shared bike paths and
Shimmy bike routes in Darebin.

https://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Transport-and-parking/Bike-riding-and-walking/Where-to-ride-or-walk

*5. Boroondara Council: Find a bike and skate repair station
*Boroondara Council has 14 bike repair stations, Darebin Council has
several, Yarra has zero.
Please contact us if you'd like to redress this situation, email:
admin at yarrabug.org

https://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/recreation-arts/cycling-and-walking/find-bike-and-skate-repair-station

*6. Infrastructure Victoria: Why the city needs safe and more reliable
alternatives to car usage*
'Blaming bike lanes for traffic jams is flawed logic and ignores the
lessons of ‘induced demand’. We can’t build our way out of congestion.
Numerous traffic studies show that more road space for cars leads to
more people driving, further clogging our roads – the induced demand
effect.'

https://www.infrastructurevictoria.com.au/2022/03/21/why-the-city-needs-safe-and-more-reliable-alternatives-to-car-usage/

--
Listen to Yarra Bicycle Users Group Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/>
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio