[YarraBUG-list] Rushall Reserve Update: April 2018
Yarra Bicycle Users Group
enquiries at yarrabug.org
Sun Apr 22 22:54:21 AEST 2018
Many of you may of recently received an email from City of Yarra (CoY)
concerning proposed Rushall Reserve shared path, which you may of
believed was another progress update leading on from September 2017:
Rushall Reserve Update (September 2017)
Instead, the email directed people to read the CoY agenda for Tuesday 24
April 2018. When reading Item 11.2 (pages 11-18) of the 41 page agenda,
the officers recommendations are to _abandon_ the project due to
increased costs and/or exposure to risk.
Read first document hosted here - Agenda for Council Meeting on 24 April
**What you can do next:*
If you read the CoY Agenda for 24 April 2018, you'll read passing the
council budget (11.1) comes before Rushall Reserve (11.2), which may
make it difficult for people to ask questions during the Public Question
Time at this CoY meeting.
*We ask thay you immediately contact Yarra Council* with your concerns
and questions about Rushall Reserve by email
(info at yarracity.vic.gov.au), phone or request a meeting with your local
* Mayor Cr Daniel Nguyen: 9205 5055 or 0427 493 509, e:
Mayor at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr Mike McEvoy: 9205 5055 or 0428 449 193, e:
Mike.McEvoy at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr Amanda Stone: 9205 5055 or 0429 358 170, e:
Amanda.Stone at yarracity.vic.gov.au.
* Cr Misha Coleman: 9205 5055 or 0428 509 943, e:
Misha.Coleman at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr Danae Bosler: 9205 5055 or 0419 782 247, e:
Danae.Bosler at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr James Searle: 9205 5055 or 0427 121 310, e:
James.Searle at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr Mi-Lin Chen Yi Mei: 9205 5055 or 0427 150 407, e:
Milin.Chenyimei at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr Stephen Jolly: 9205 5055 or 0437 856 713, e:
Stephen.Jolly at yarracity.vic.gov.au
* Cr Jackie Fristacky: 9205 5055, 0412 597 794, e:
Jackie.Fristacky at yarracity.vic.gov.au.
*These are questions that must be asked to City of Yarra:*
1. Has City of Yarra researched for alternative funding? (State
Government, Active Transport Victoria, other municipal councils)
2. Would the increased development activity in that particular section
of North Fitzroy assist to awarding funding from future developer
contributions to service that community growth and requirement for
3. Existing quotes for construction tripled in three years and then
nearly doubled again in three months - why are Metro Trains Melbourne
(MTM) massively jacking up the costs?
4. Have other councils been notified of potential project cancellation
as Merri Creek Trail is important to Moreland, Darebin and Melbourne,
5. Why is MTM/Victrack not picking up signalling costs as part of land
6. This project has previously been carried over in several budgets and
should be done again, like most major infrastructure projects.
(Bargoonga Nganjin North Fitzroy Library, Collingwood Town Hall
7. Rushall Reserve is a main component of Yarra Councils Bike Strategy
Refresh - what contingencies has Director Planning and Place Making made
for any alterations?
8. Project cancellation puts Yarra council processes and local councils
in general into a bad light, as how can residents participate in any
future consultations in good faith when prior council administration
gutted local capital works budget (reference to 2016 when $22m was moved
from developers contributions/open space)
9. Legal arguments about minimum path width can be applied to numerous
existing legacy shared paths that were contructed prior to AustRoads
specifications - many Victorian councils are already are exposed daily
to this risk.
10. Cancelling a project with an already exhaustive consultation process
suggests Yarra Council has no will to complete it in the future, lacks
political will and shows disrespect for the huge contributions made by
local residents during long consultation timelines, regardless whether
they are for or against the project.
11. As the proposed plans projected costs now exceed $900K, should
alternatives such as reconfiguring the Rushall Station underpass now be
reconsidered? (refer to question 1)
_Thank you and please forward this email to anyone you know who would be
concerned or affected _
*Listen to Yarra Bicycle Users Group Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/>*
*Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio
*web <http://www.yarrabug.org/>**| **facebook
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the YarraBUG-list