[YarraBUG-list] July 2017 News: Gipps Street: The planets finally align + Casting Call for “Near Miss Traffic Accident/Road Safety Stories + local news

YarraBUG Admin admin at yarrabug.org
Fri Jul 14 17:50:40 AEST 2017

Hi all,

A quick July catch up with news about Gipps Street (finally!), casting
call for “near miss” traffic accident stories to appear in an
advertising campaign, next BAC meeting & City West Water: New Water Main
for Rushall Reserve*.
*

******

*1. Gipps Street, Abbotsford: The planets finally align*
So you've been wondering what's happening with Gipps Street, Abbotsford
for over a decade? Parks Victoria have just announced news about
building an all ability access ramp plus four weeks of consultation via
survey. It appears the planets have finally aligned!

http://www.yarrabug.org/2017/07/07/gipps-street-planets-finally-align/

*From Parks Victoria: Access to the Main Yarra Trail for all: *If you
have ever lugged your bike or a pram up the Gipps Street steps in
Abbotsford relief is on its way. Parks Victoria is planning an all
ability access ramp to replace the Gipps Street steps and give better
access for everyone to enjoy the Main Yarra Trail.

Have your say on our plan to improve cyclist and pedestrian safety and
open a new viewing platform for visitors to this stretch of the Yarra
River. Complete the survey: The survey runs over 4 weeks until Friday 4
August. To have your say on the plan to improve cyclist and pedestrian
safety and open a new viewing platform for visitors to this stretch of
the Yarra River, complete the survey here:
*
**https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MainYarraTrailAccessForAllGippsStreet*

The existing 42 concrete steps stop people with prams, those using
wheelchairs and all but the fittest of cyclists, who can carry their
bikes up the steps, from using this section of the Main Yarra Trail.
Following the four-week public consultation period, Parks Victoria will
finalise its plan in response to the community feedback and then
continue with the important infrastructure upgrade project. If you would
like more information about this project please email
gippsstramp at parks.vic.gov.au or phone 13 1963

*
2. URGENT: Casting Sugar are seeking real people with actual “near miss”
traffic accident stories to appear in an advertising campaign
*"This campaign is about shining a light on people, celebrating their
stories and highlighting how Victoria’s safe road system can prevent
death or serious injuries on our roads. We’re looking for stories where
a crash was avoided or reduced in severity thanks to one of the
following being in place:

• Wire rope barriers
• Rumble strips / tactile lines
• Raised pedestrian crossings
• Localised speed reductions
• Reduced speed zones (eg. school zones)

We do not want people who have experienced serious injuries from the
crash. These ‘near misses’ should involve either no injury whatsoever,
or a very minor injury such as a sprained ankle or small graze."
**Please note that we are seeking people who do not have a background in
acting.
**Please note that in order to be eligible, you must not have lost more
than 5 demerit points in the previous 5 year period. These are paid
roles: Recording & shooting in Victoria in week commencing 17th July (2
days).

*Submissions: Please complete the online application form and upload to
the following: http://bit.ly/CastingSugarNearMiss**

3. Next Yarra Council Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting
*From Simon Exon, Strategic Transport Co-ordinator: Please note that the
next BAC meeting will be on the 16th August 2017 at Collingwood Town
Hall, time to be confirmed. An agenda will be issued in due course.*

*More at:
https://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/about-us/committees/bicycle-advisory-committee*

**4. City West Water: New Water Main for Rushall Reserve, works planned
for later June-early Aug 2017*
City West Water will be replacing 250m of an aging water main across
Rushall Reserve, from Holden Street to Rushall Crescent, Fitzroy.
Replacement of the 750mm main will reduce the likelihood of pipe bursts
and ensure that we can continue to deliver a safe and reliable water
supply to the area. City West Water General Manager Infrastructure and
Delivery, Maree Lang, said that the works had been carefully planned to
minimise any damage to the environment.

“We know how popular Rushall Reserve is for locals to walk their dogs,
ride their bikes, exercise or relax, so we wanted to make sure we
designed our project to protect that as much as we could.
“We’ll be tunnelling under and around the trees in the reserve so none
of them have to be removed, and the project will be carefully managed to
avoid any impacts to Merri Creek.”

Ms Lang said that while a section of the reserve itself would be
impacted by the construction, the grass would be reinstated once the
project is finished. “Because of the size of the works there will be
some inconvenience for park users, but we’re working to reduce that as
much as possible. “We have been working closely with the community to
provide information on the project, including Yarra and Darebin
Councils, cycling groups and surrounding residents. We’re grateful for
the community’s patience and understanding as we carry out these
essential works.”

• The project is scheduled to begin in late June/early July 2017 and run
until August 2017.
• To minimise disturbance to nearby houses, works will be undertaken
between 7AM and 5PM Monday to Friday, and 8AM and 1PM on Saturdays (when
required).

Media contact: Fiona Garlick 0466 613 109,
Fiona.garlick[AT]citywestwater.com.au*

*
--
*Listen to Yarra Bicycle Users Group Radio <http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/>*
*Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio

---