[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter - October 2013

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Sat Oct 12 02:01:07 AEDT 2013

*YarraBUG Newsletter - October 2013*

 1. Latest 3CR podcasts
 2. Treadlie - No Ordinary Night
 3. Community Rally Against East West Link
 4. Yarra Ride2Work Day - Public Events
 5. Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting

Hi all,

A newsletter of sorts for October 2013, we've been kept busy with recent
developments related to the proposed East West Link.

Please try and make it to the Community Rally on Sunday - one of the
major issues (of many!) surrounding this project is how it could drain
the state budget for a decade or more - and we all know how difficult it
has been trying to get bicycle infrastructure either funded or built -
look at how long Darebin Creek link and the Gipps Street Steps have
dragged on for.

A recent podcast we did with Tony Morton, PTUA President discussed this
issue + more:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1458

*1. Latest 3CR Podcasts*

YarraBike Radio Show #258 October 7th 2013
Our studio guest this week is Matt Benn, the Velocipede Improbulator.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1500

YarraBUG Radio Show #257 Monday September 30th 2013
This week we present a two-part interview from Alan Parker OAM about
early days of bicycle advocacy in Victoria, working with Keith Dunstan
and Brian Dixon, formation of the Bicycle Institute of Victoria, Geelong
and Melbourne Bike Plans.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1497

YarraBike Radio Show #256 Monday September 23rd 2013
We chat to Paul and Charlie about their amazing bicycle collection, one
of the top five collections in the world and rarely open to the public.
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1479

YarraBUG Radio Show #255 Monday September 16th 2013
On this weeks program we reflect upon the amazing life of legendary
Keith Dunstan OAM who sadly passed away last week
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/?p=1484

*2. From Treadlie: No Ordinary Night @ **Join us from 3pm-11pm Saturday
October 12th at****The Baron Said <http://www.thebaronsaid.com.au/>**,
83 Kerr St, Fitzroy*
We're due for a party! Join us and our friends at KNOG andThe Baron Said
<http://www.thebaronsaid.com.au/>Saturday October 12th, it promises to
be No Ordinary Night! We're bringing the Treadlie Photo Booth along, our
favourite bike builder the Velocipede Improbulator will be there, MDMA
are running an Alley Cat, the KNOG Film Festival Awards are on,  DJs
Alexandra and Sanso will be providing the tunes, there'll be bike
maintenance fromGood Cycles <http://www.thebaronsaid.com.au/>and our
friends from Bicycles for Humanity are coming along as well. KNOG will
be screening ten finalists in theKNOG Film Festival
<http://www.knog.com.au/cms-knog-film-festival/>followed by an awards
ceremony at which winners will be announced.  You'll also be able to see
the winning bikes of theBulmers Bike Build
<http://treadlie.com.au/bulmers-bike-build/> competition.

  * Come and meet theVelocipede
    Improbulator<http://treadlie.com.au/velocipede-improbulator/> and
    check out some of his amazing bikes between 3-5pm
  * Get snapped with your bike at theTreadlie Photo Booth
    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/treadlie/sets/72157631718171812/with/8075476815/>between
    4-8pm
  * The guys at MDMA are running theNorthside Nonsense Alley Cat
    <http://melbournedistrictmessengerassociation.com/>6pm to register,
    start at 6:30
  * The KNOG Film Festival Awards Ceremony  kicks off at 7pm
  * DJsAlexandra <https://soundcloud.com/sashastrickland>andSanso
    <https://soundcloud.com/sanso-xtro>will be flexing from 7pm onwards
  * You can keep up to date with everything thats happening on the night
    overhere <https://www.facebook.com/events/236899979799009/>.

*
**
3. Community Rally Against East West Link**- Sunday 13 October 2013*
Say no to the $8b government handout to private road companies and yes
to real investment in the expansion and improvement of public transport.

  * 11am, Sunday 13th October, corner Westgarth & Brunswick Street, Fitzroy
  * Save hundreds of local residents' homes from demolition or damage
  * Save Royal Park for future generations & protect the Moonee Ponds Creek
  * Protect the Royal Melbourne Zoo

This will be a family friendly event with food available by donation and
speakers from various community groups who have been campaigning against
the $8b East West tunnel. The rally will also be celebration of the
peaceful community pickets that have been disrupting East West tunnel
drilling.*
*
More in link: http://www.ycat.org.au/?p=3161

*4. Yarra Ride2Work Day
*National Ride2Work Day is on Wednesday 16 October. It's an opportunity
for all cyclists, from beginners through to veterans, to celebrate the
joys of pedal power. This year, Council is encouraging local workplaces,
organisations and community groups to join in the fun by hosting their
own event as part of our local Ride2Work celebrations - Yarra Rides2Work.

More in
link:**http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/parking-roads-and-transport/sustainable-transport/yarra-rides-2-work/
Participating bike shops and workplaces:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Parking-roads-and-transport/Sustainable-transport/yarra-rides-2-work/participating-bike-shops-and-workplaces/#bikeshops

*Public events*

Abbotsford Convent, 1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford, 7.30am to 9.30am
Gate 1, outdoors, the Providence Building (in front of the white
building opposite the Convent Bakery)
With the help of the Convent Bakery, the St Heliers Store and Lentil as
Anything, there will be a range of yummy foods to keep you riding onto
your destination with a full belly and a big smile. Come join in, eat
and have a yarn with other riders and the convent locals.
www.abbotsfordconvent.com.au

Burnley Golf Course: Corner of Madden and Loyola Grove, Burnley, 7am to 9am
Come along to enjoy a delicious breakfast and be in the running for
exciting giveaways.
Contact: Michelle Scerri, Coordinator Burnley Golf Course 9205 5593,
Michelle.Scerri at yarracity.vic.gov.au

Yarra Leisure -- Fitzroy Swimming Pool, Alexandra Parade, Fitzroy, 7am
to 9am
Come along to enjoy a delicious breakfast and be in the running for
exciting giveaways. Contact: Damien Pagnin, Marketing & Communications
Coordinator -- Yarra Leisure, 9205 5197, Damien.Pagnin at yarracity.vic.gov.au

Vigor Health and Fitness, Level 1, 393 Smith Street, Fitzroy (enter from
Kerr Street), 7.45am to 8.45am, Vigor Muesli will be on the menu to
enjoy with milk (soy or full cream), fruit, yoghurt and honey, and Liam
will show you how to make your own muesli for a delicious healthy start
every day. A mechanic from Avanti Plus Collingwood will also be on hand
to help with minor repairs and answer any bike-related questions.
liam at vigor.net.au
www.vigor.net.au/Ride-to-Work-Day

*5. Yarra Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting - **23rd October 2013*
Message from Kate: I have attached a draft agenda (and the spread sheet
for notes) for feedback before our next meeting on October 23rd. In
looking over the previous minutes I note that the below items were
identified for discussion at this coming meeting.  I don't believe we
can get through these meaningfully as well as the items not discussed
from the last meeting (below again). So I am seeking some advice about
priorities from the BAC.

Agenda items for identified for October Meeting in July Meeting:

  * Shared paths and the need for more action with VicRoads.
  * How to increase the number of 'head-start' signals in Yarra.
  * Cycling in Richmond, the question of data, budgets and action.
  * Drive to Work Day
  * Bicycle Parking -- corrals, locations, shopping strips and priorities.

Deferred items:

  * Coordination of on-road bicycle improvements and general disruption
    to cyclist during roadworks.
  * Gertrude and Nicholson St,
  * Napier St 'rat run' in morning peak

Please have a look over the agenda and provide feedback by Friday
October 18th.Looking forward to our meeting on the 23rd.

Cheers,
Kate

Kate Simnett
Sustainable Transport Officer
City of Yarra PO Box 168 RICHMOND 3121
Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday
T (03) 9205 5734  M 0407 812 882  F (03) 8417-6666
E kate.simnett[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au
W www.yarracity.vic.gov.au
Yarra has once again recorded the highest Cycle to Work rate in
Australia! 8.5% of residents cycled to work on the August 2011 Census
day.  Congratulations Yarra.