[YarraBUG-list] Congratulations Alan Parker, OAM

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Thu Jan 26 11:32:26 AEDT 2012

Bike enthusiast Alan Parker awarded OAM

http://mornington-peninsula-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/bike-enthusiast-alan-parker-awarded-oam/

Alan Parker was 15 when he first began the hobby which influenced his
life and led to him receiving a Medal of the Order of Australia.

“I’ve been riding bikes for 60 years,” said the 75-year-old Sorrento
resident.

Mr Parker was awarded his OAM for services to the community,
particularly through Bicycle Victoria.

He was a founding member and then president of the Bicycle Institute of
Victoria, the vice-president of the Bicycle Federation of Australia, a
member of the State Government’s Bicycle Planning

Committee and was involved in planning work on the Geelong Bike Path and
other bike paths around Melbourne.

“I didn’t believe it when I heard I’d been awarded the OAM,” Mr Parker said.

“I think it’s an honour. I still ride bikes and neither my wife, Doreen,
or I drive a car.”

***

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/

MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION
242
Mr Alan Arthur PARKER,
For service to the community, particularly through Bicycle Victoria.
Founding Member, Bicycle Institute of Victoria, 1975; President, for 2
years; Research
Officer, for 12 years.
Vice-President, Bicycle Federation of Australia.
Member, State Government Bicycle Planning Committee, for many years.
Planning work, the Geelong Bike Plan and other bike paths in Melbourne.
Acting President, Town and Country Planning Association, for 2 years;
Vice-President;
Committee Member; Member, for many years.
Member, Public Transport Users Association, for many years

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10am on 3CR 855AM Community Radio + Digital
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond