[YarraBUG-list] City of Yarra area - 'Police target cyclists for Operation Spoke'

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Mon Jan 10 08:36:32 AEDT 2011

Hi al,

Read below - please be aware that police are targetting riders in the
City of Yarra area over the next week & a half.

Please forward on this information ASAP to anyone you know who rides
through the area.

We'll be discussing this news on todays YarraBUG Radio program on 3CR
from 10am today.

****

Police target cyclists for Operation Spoke
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/5922-police-target-cyclists-for-operation-spoke.html

Monday, 10 January 2011 07:05

Police will target cyclists on popular bicycle routes in and around
Collingwood, Richmond and Fitzroy as part of an operation to reduce road
trauma.

Police officers are set to heavily patrol the known trouble spots with
bicycles, on foot and in vehicles during peak cyclist times as part of
Operation Spoke, a 12-day blitz which kicks off today.

Major bicycle routes including Brunswick Street, Smith Street, Swan
Street and Bridge Road will be targeted by police.
Police will focus on cyclists not wearing helmets, not possessing lights
at night, riding on footpaths and those disobeying traffic signs, as
well motorists opening car doors into passing cyclists.
Cyclists will face a fine of $299 for failing to obey traffic lights and
receive a $149 fine for not wearing a bicycle helmet or holding onto a
moving vehicle.
Sergeant Greg Dean of Yarra Highway Patrol said Operation Spoke was both
an enforcement and educational exercise to ensure cyclists and drivers
were riding and driving safely in the City of Yarra.

"We want to raise the awareness of road rules and the appropriate
bicycle behaviour within the cyclist community," he said.

"Reducing serious injury collisions is a high priority for police, and
Operation Spoke is just another way we can communicate the road safety
message to the community."

Sgt Dean said Fitzroy and Collingwood had recorded significant increases
over the past few months regarding collisions involving cyclists.

There were 95 bicycle collisions within the City of Yarra from 1 July to
31 December, 2010.

Sgt Dean said there were 15 bicycle collisions in November, and another
15 in December.

"A large number of cyclists ride through the City of Yarra, whether it
being their mode of transport to get to work or just for pleasure," he said.

"And with the warmer months now here, police are expecting more cyclists
to be out and about on our roads. We are urging them to take care on our
roads."

Eight cyclists died in Victoria in 2010 (2010 provisional road toll
statistics).

Operation Spoke involves police from Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond,
Yarra Highway Patrol and the North Melbourne West Bicycle Patrol Unit.

The blitz runs from Monday 10 January to Friday 21 January, 2011.

Kelly Yates
Media Officer
VP8171/2010

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond