[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG Newsletter: February-March 2011

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Fri Feb 18 01:12:48 AEDT 2011

*YarraBUG Newsletter: February-March 2011*

    * YarraBUG Radio
    * 3CR News - Sustainable Living Festival Broadcast
    * City of Yarra - Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting
    * Super Tuesday Bike Counts
    * Sustainable Living Festival
    * Pedal Powered Moonlight Cinema
    * Carlton Gardens Protest
    * City of Darebin - Cycling Strategy Survey
    * More Rides & Events

***LOCAL NEWS*

***1. YarraBUG Radio on 3CR*
Podcasts are all up to date, yes we finally did it! Recent interviews
include Brad Spolding from Melbourne Bike Festival, Elliot Fishman from
Institute for Sensible Transport, Leaha and Judit from Loophole
Community Centre and David Sharp from Safe Cycling Australia.
More at: http://www.yarrabug.org/radio
http://www.3cr.org.au/aggregator/sources/3352

**
*2. 3CR News - Sustainable Living Festival Broadcast - 19 February 2011*
**News from 3CR: Join us for a dynamic forum and live radio show
covering climate change, urban transport, marine conservation and earth
sharing principles at the Sustainable Living Festival. Listen live or
join the audience at Grassroots Radio: Saturday 19 February 11am-1pm,
Federation Square in the Green House. Out of the Blue, Earth Matters,
Renegade Economists and Beyond Zero Emissions will be talking all things
clean and green with host Dave Sweeney from the Australian Conservation
Foundation. More at:
http://www.3cr.org.au/news/sustainable-living-festival-broadcast

*3 . City of* *Yarra - Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting - 23 February
2011*
News from Kate: The full list of meeting dates for the year should be
available shortly. The first meeting of the year for the Bicycle
Advisory Committee meeting will be held on Wednesday February 23rd
between 6:30pm and 7:30pm in the Mayors Room at the Fitzroy Town Hall.
If you would like to add anything to the agenda please let me know.Kate
Simnett, Sustainable Transport Officer,
kate.simnett[AT]yarracity.vic.gov.au  More at:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Consultative-Committees/Bicycle-Advisory-Committee/

*4. Super Tuesday Bike Counts - 1 March 2011*
**This year Super Tuesday 2011 will take place on Tuesday 1 March, from
7am-9am across Australia. The Super Tuesday project is an annual bike
commute count, and it has been running since 2007. Super Tuesday
provides reliable annual figures of bicycle commuters and their
movements on roads and bike paths. The project aims to answer two
questions:How many riders are there? Which routes are riders using?
Registration link:http://www.bv.com.au/general/bike-futures/92039/
For further information, please contact Jeff McPhan 8636 8883 or email
jeffm[AT]bv.com.au.

**
*RIDES & EVENTS

*/
NB: //Find more rides + events on our listings page:
http://www.yarrabug.org/events-and-rides/
/

*5. Sustainable Living Festival 12 - 27 February 2011*
 From the SLF: There's already too much carbon in the atmosphere and
that's heating up our planet at a staggering rate. The environment that
we depend on relies on a stable and safe climate. Your planet needs you
for this vital mission to restore a safe climate. Drop into the
Sustainable Living Festival and find out how you can join the mission.
More at: http://festival.slf.org.au/

Treadlie Magazine has a great precis of SLF bicycle-themed
events:http://www.treadlie.com.au/events_display/page/Sustainable_Living_Festival_2011/articleid/687

*Bike Town - 18-20 February 2011*
Come on down to Bike Town and meet the two-wheeled locals! Every town
has its characters and no two bikes are the same. Bike Town celebrates
the unique qualities of every bike (and the characters that ride them)
in this interactive display. Who will be the mayor of Bike Town, the
Beauty Queen or the Sports Star?  Cast your vote to decide in this
interactive display. More at:
http://www.melbournebikefest.com.au/calendar/bikefest/41
*
Bike City - Melbourne in Transition - 20 February 2011 from 1pm*
Spend your Sunday with some of Melbourne's biggest bike advocates as
they explore the city's rapidly growing and diverse cycling culture.
Join this lively discussion on how Melbourne can further its cycling
landscape and make cycling the top choice of transport in town. Hosted
by Charlie Pickering, Adam Bandt Federal Member for Melbourne, Professor
Rob Adams Director City Design, City of Melbourne, Pip Carroll Director
of Melbourne BikeFest. More at:
http://festival.slf.org.au/program/greenhouse

*
6. Pedal Powered Moonlight Cinema - 25 February 2011*
Pedal powerMelbourne Girls' College presents the world's first 100%
pedal powered moonlight cinema. Go green and enjoy a night under the
stars for a screening of the animated feature film WALL-E.
Bring along a picnic, or purchase refreshments from the food stalls.
People wishing to contribute their pedalling power can book a riding
slot from 5.00pm. Riding sessions are booked in 10 minute intervals. To
book a slot email Samantha Green at dandyyellow[AT]hotmail.com.
Prizes will be awarded to the most watts generated. Time: Gates open
5.00pm - movie begins at dusk. Where: Melbourne Girls College, Yarra
Boulevard, Richmond
Cost: $12 adults / $8 concession (students/health care card
holders/pensioners)

*7. Carlton Gardens Protest - * *26 February 2011 from **11:30am - 2:30pm*
Via Facebook: "Bikes. Some people have 'em. Perhaps you do? Have you
ever ridden on the Nicholson 'bike path'. It's bonkers and dangerous to
pedestrians and cyclists. Despite all the consultation that went into
this approach, it's hardly a
solution.http://leader-news.whereilive.com.au/news/story/have-your-say-new-cycle-routes-to-counter-carlton-gardens-bike-ban/
At the moment riders are stuck in an awkward policy sandwich between the
rights ofcars and rights of pedestrians. City of Melbourne needs to let
us ride and make love in Carlton Gardens. Or at least ride through it.
Lets put an end to the ridiculous fines:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/250-fine-for-cycling-on-the-path-20090916-frof.html
Let's encourage cycling wherever possible, not put up unnecessary
barriers that work for no-one"
More at facebook event link:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124844107583783

*8. City of Darebin**- **Cycling Strategy Survey*
 From City of Darebin: Have your say and help us to better understand
local cycling issues and learn more about what should be improved in the
City of Darebin. After the survey, please enter the draw to WIN one of
four $50 Wish Cards. The questions are short and will only take about 5
minutes.
More at:http://survey.darebin.vic.gov.au/login.php

*9. Cargo Bike Picnic - Edinburgh Gardens - 27 February 2011 from 11am
to 2pm*
The second Melbourne Cargo Bike Picnic. An event about awareness and
promoting the cargo bike lifestyle. People can try all kind of cargo
bikes, ask questions and have a fun afternoon. Promoting sustainability,
riding the cargo bike keeps you fit, your kids start life with a healthy
lifestyle, but most of all it is easy, saves time and is FUN! There will
be a picnic area, playground, face painting, a coffee machine cargo bike
and  trying all types of cargo bikes! We will also arrange shade or when
it drizzles some rain protection. Come along and join us for a great
day, come by cargo bike, bike, walking, train or even by car. Just bring
your helmet and a picnic.
More at:
http://dutchcargobike.com.au/2011/01/cargo-bike-picnic-on-27-february-in-fitzroy-melbourne/

*10. Retro Ride - First Sunday of the month*
9.30am from Café Racer in St Kilda. 50km along Beach Rd to Mordiallac
and back. Presented by Retro Ride. This is a free ride for any cyclist
who loves the older style steel frames and the retro gear to get
together and give the bikes an outing, while sharing knowledge and
experiences from the earlier years of cycling. All welcome
http://www.cycloretro.com

*11. From MorelandBUG - Would you like to help out at the Sydney Road
Street Festival?*
This years Sydney Road Street Festival will be held on March 6 (12 noon
to 7 pm). The Moreland BUG will be there with an information stall and
bike parking for people who ride to the festival.
We are in need of some people who would like to help us out on the day!
If you want to give a hand (as little as one hour is enough) please
email me and let me know your preferred time you would like to help and
also if you would like to help with the stall or the bike parking. If
you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me!
Thanks! Julia Mischke. Moreland BUG Secretary. Email:
committee[AT]morelandbug.org

/Two completely different bicycles on the same day, you can dress up or
dress down ... your choice .../

*12. Frocks on Bikes Melbourne International Women's Day market & picnic
ride - 6 March 2011 from 10.30*
 From Frocks on Bikes Melbourne: Starting from Edinburgh Gardens
Rotunda, St Georges Rd.
After the success of the inaugural Pimm's and Croquet and 40 Degrees
ride, we're going bigger and better. Hopefully the weather will permit
some less hardcore frockers to join us this time. Please feel free to
come to the whole extravaganza, or treat it as a relay and select the
stages which suit you best. March 8 is International Women's Day
(http://www.internationalwomensday.com/), which is particularly
significant this year due to it being 100 years since the first
International Women's Day was declared to celebrate the economic,
political and social achievements of women past, present and future.
More at facebook event link:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124954224244086

*13. World Naked Bike Ride - Melbourne, 6 March 2011 from 3pm*
News from WNBR Melb: Come Fully Dressed to Ride to a Secret
Body-Painting Place!
Mission Statement: We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as
the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the unique dangers
faced by cyclists and pedestrians plus all the negative effects of oil,
cars, war, consumerism and non-renewable energy. The Protest Themes in 4
Words: Naturism, Environmentalism, Pacifism and Biketivism. Clothing is
optional. The dress code for the World Naked Bike Ride is "Bare As You
Dare"! YOU get to decide how naked you wish to be. If that means
completely naked, the decision is yours. What to bring -- your trusty
Bicycle, Helmet and shoes. Wear clothes that are easy to remove and put
back on. Bring body paints and makeup, banners and artwork. Gold Coin
donation to cover costs. Meet at: Union Club Hotel, Cnr Webb & Gore Sts
Fitzroy.
More at: http://www.asbareasyoudare.com

*14. Swap Meet - BRING, BUY, SWAP, SELL - 30 April 2011*
Precious bicycle stuff, classic, vintage - all welcome - tell your
friends 9 am - 1pm. Rear of Abbotsford Cycles.  27 Swan St, Richmond
(under the station) Melbourne.Seller set up -  8 - 9 am, $10
fee.Browsers & Buyers   9 - 1 pm, $ gold coin donation entry. Sellers
can register with Charlie farren[AT]onedaysoon.net

*BICYCLE-THEMED NEWS*
**
**
*15. The Age: Daily punt on the cards for cyclists crossing Yarra - 17
February 2011*
Taking a punt may soon become part of the daily commute for hundreds of
Melburnians. The state government is drawing up plans to return the West
Gate punt service to weekday operation and provide a new city transit
link for Melbourne's surging numbers of cyclists. More at:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/daily-punt-on-the-cards-for-cyclists-crossing-yarra-20110216-1awoj.html

*16.  2011 Dutch Bike Tour****- May 2011*
Message from Paul from Gazelle Bicycles Australia: Hello cycling friends,
In May 2011 I am organising a Dutch Bicycle Study Tour for at least 30
Australians who will be learning about best bicycle infrastructure
practice and sharing that information with their contacts on return to
Australia. The journey will be filmed by 2 documentary film makers and
they are looking for sponsors for the trip. There will be a website set
up that will be used as a resource for local planners, cyclists and
media and I believe will be a very popular website into the future since
I receive many emails about this trip.
If you or your business/organisation can help support the documentary
film makers you are eligible for some great rewards. If you have a
website/magazine that distributes bike related news and views I would be
very appreciative of you can pass on the link -
http://www.indiegogo.com/Cycling-Dutch-Style/
Thanks for any help! Cycle safe and take care

*17. Asia-Pacific Cycle Congress - 18-21 September 2011*
Hosted in Brisbane, the Asia-Pacific Cycle Congress will bring together
key cycling experts, researchers and enthusiasts from around the world.
This will provide a forum for industry networking, developing technical
approaches to cycleway planning and discussing strategies for maximising
cycling mode share. The congress will focus on themes of cycling
infrastructure and cycleway planning, promotion and travel behaviour
change programmes. The three-day congress will be preceded by an
international cycle expo that is also open to the general public,
featuring demonstrations of the latest in cycling innovation and
accessories. More at: http://www.cyclecongress.com/

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group
PO Box 253

Listen to YarraBUG Radio
Every Monday morning 10-10.30am on 3CR Community Radio
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio/
Abbotsford, Alphington, Burnley, Carlton North,
Clifton Hill, Cremorne, Collingwood, Fairfield,
Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Princes Hill, Richmond