[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG September - October Newsletter

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Mon Sep 22 23:18:45 AEST 2008

Hi all,

It's with a very heavy heart that this latest instalment of BUG news is
sent to you, as earlier today, a young man lost his life riding his
bicycle in the Queens Parade area.

The Age reports: Cyclist found dead on road on Queens Parade in Clifton Hill
http://www.theage.com.au/national/cyclist-found-dead-on-innermelbourne-road-20080922-4l4e.html

Last Thursday many of us were shocked when hearing the news of the death
of a 33 year old Parkville woman on Swanston Street. That story lead
todays YarraBUG Radio program on 3CR.
No doubt this is not the last we will hear about the tragic implications
about road safety issues.

    * Next YarraBUG Meeting
    * Notice of YarraBUG AGM
    * YarraBUG Radio
    * Yarra Council News
    * Yarra Campaign Against the Tunnel
    * Local News
    * Events
    * Rides
    * Even More News

If you have news items, rides and local/bicycle themed events, please
email us to get them included in the YarraBUG newsletters.

*1. Next YarraBUG Meeting: 28 September*
Our next meeting will be held 2pm, last Sunday of the month, at The
Queens - Q Cafe, 304 Queens Parade Clifton Hill. This months agenda:
YarraBUG Radio report, Yarra Council Bicycle Advisory Committee report,
Yarra Council elections in November, YarraBUG AGM.

*
2. Notice of YarraBUG AGM: 19 October*
Our first YarraBUG AGM will be held on 19 October, 2008. Venue to be
announced. Please ensure you are a financial member if you are
interested in standing as a Committee member.

Possible Committee Member Positions:
A Convenor, or a maximum of three Co-Convenors who's roles may include:
- Secretary
- Treasurer
- Membership Co-coordinator
- YarraBUG Radio Co-convenor
- Advocacy Co-coordinator
- Rides Co-coordinator
- Website Manager

*3. YarraBUG Radio*
We're finally onair after almost 12 months of 'development'! Today was
our second broadcast and 3CR have put YarraBUG on their websites frontpage:

Local cyclists hit the airwaves!
http://www.3cr.org.au/news/local-cyclists-hit-airwaves

Yarra Bicycle Users Group (YarraBUG) promotes urban cycling as a viable
means of transport, provide support to campaigns to improve cycling
conditions and awareness; promotes Yarra's cycling conditions,
demystifies cycling technology and helps to reveal the diversity of
cyclists from children to commuters to lobbyists. We encourage people to
join in the sheer fun of bicycle riding and also aim to interest our
audience in sustainable transport issues. Our show is not only for
cyclists, as we'd also love non-cyclists to listen in! YarraBUG would
like to thank the City of Yarra for the assistance given via their
Community Grants Program to fund our show. Presenters are Emma, Rob,
Sonya, Steve, Val and Chris

Your feedback is welcome, call us at 3CR on 9419 8377 to let us know
your thoughts. We welcome your contributions, if you want to promote a
bike event or pass on some good bike vibes drop us a line on
enquiries at yarrabug.org  or visit the BUG website at www.yarrabug.org.
Next weeks show on September 29 will have Steve and Rob bringing you a
half hour of bike chat, views and news.

In the next week we'll create a separate page on the YarraBUG site to
include show descriptions and who's on this week. The option to podcast
is availalbe in the near future, although as a new show we have to get
off the training wheels first before 3CR give us permission to podcast.

*4. Yarra Council News - Blessing of the Bicycles: 5 October*
Enjoy a non-denominational blessing of cyclists and their bicycles,
including live music in celebration of the peaceful sharing of roads.
This is the first blessing of its kind to be held in the Southern
Hemisphere, come and join in the fun. Sunday 5 October, North Fitzroy's
Edinburgh Gardens, 1.00pm -- 2.00pm
Organised by the City of Yarra, for more details contact Mark Donnellan:
9205 5724, Email: Mark.Donnellan at yarracity.vic.gov.au
Event invitation:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/enews/invitation/bikeinvitation.htm

*5. Yarra Campaign Against the Tunnel (YCAT)*
YCAT is a community coalition of individuals & local groups concerned
about the massive impact through Melbourne's inner northern suburbs of
the proposed road tunnel linking the Eastern Freeway to Melbourne's west
as proposed in the East West Link Needs Assessment final report. If you
are interested in the local campaign or the issues raised by the East
West Link Needs Assessment, then visit the YCAT website for more
information: http://www.ycat.org.au

*6. Local News*

*Clifton Hill Rail Duplication News: Urquhart Street Partial Road
Closure -- from 10 September 2008*
Further to previous advice, access under the rail bridge through
Urquhart Street will now be blocked from Wednesday 10 September 2008
until January 2009 to enable the new bridge to be constructed. The
closure will restrict traffic access under the rail bridge but will not
affect residents' access to driveways either side of the bridge.
Pedestrian access will initially be maintained under the bridge on the
south side of the road only, however due to the logistical and safety
challenges involved in building the bridge our ability to offer a safe
access area to the public once construction commences on both piers will
be restricted.

Additional information: Urquhart Street Partial Road Closure (PDF, 17kb)
http://www.yarrabug.org/docs/080903_Update_Urquhart%20StreetPartialClosure.pdf

*Cycling Promotion Fund - Cycling Safety Video Clips*
Thank you for the people in Victoria who have provided input into this
exciting project. We are progressing well and hopefully the video clips
can be launched at the Cycling Film Festival in Melbourne. Remember will
still need some volunteer actors for the clip, please contact Kathy and
Chris in the office if you would like to assist, Ph: 03 9818 5400 Email:
office at cyclingpromotion.com.au
More videos: http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/343/

*Studley Park/Yarra Blvd trail booby traps*
News via the Farkin MTB forums about booby traps in the Studley
Park/Yarra Bend Park area. Unfortunately this forum post is not very
specific about where these incidents took place, however, the police
have been notified.  Slight warning: this forum discussion contains some
fruity language.
http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141537

*7. Events*

*Sustainable house tour: 8 November*
News from Paul McMullen: Just to let you know of an event coming up on
8th November in Beechworth, North East Victoria, that your members may
be interested in.
Cyclists receive a 50% discount on ticket prices:
http://www.housetour.beechworthmontessori.vic.edu.au/tickets.html
Beechworth is located on the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail:
http://www.railtrails.org.au/states/trails.php3?action=trail&trail=22
Sustainable house tour Saturday 8 November 2008, 10am to 3pm.  Email:
housetour at beechworthmontessori.vic.edu.au
http://housetour.beechworthmontessori.vic.edu.au

*Bicycle Swap Meet / Garage Sale: 15 November*
Buy -- Sell -- Swap - New -- Used -- Vintage -- Classic -- Preloved
Sellers*: Bring your unwanted bikes, parts, accessories, clothing and
pass them on to a new home
Buyers: Come and find that elusive item you've been searching for,
Where: Lohse St Park, Laverton. VIC, Melways ref 53 E9. Plenty of
parking.  Local Café, Train Station adjacent.
When: Saturday November 15, 2008, 10-00am to 2-00pm. Cost:   Free to
all.  (Sellers -- a $10 contribution to the organiser to assist covering
costs of park hire, insurance etc will be appreciated). Enquiries: David
"The Organiser" 0403 132 965 or bikeswapmeet at optusnet.com.au
* Though not geared to retail sellers, all bike/triathlon enthusiasts
welcome.

*Bicycle Film Festival: 19 -- 23 November*
The Bicycle Film Festival is coming back to Australia. Don't miss this
great opportunity to see some great cycling movies and video clips and
celebrate the diversity of cycling.
Melbourne: 19 -- 23. November 2008, more information and register to
updates:
http://bicyclefilmfestival.com/2008_site/melbourne/

*8. Rides*
*
National Ride to Work Day: 15 October*
This years Yarra Community Breakfast will be held at Café Krifi,
Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre, Abbotsford
More details soon or check: http://www.bv.com.au/join-in/126/

*L'Etape du Tour - Ride a stage of the Tour: 16 October*
For many years recreational riders have had the opportunity to ride one
of the key mountain stages of the Tour de France.  L'Etape du Tour now
gives you the chance to test yourself on the toughest stage of the Jayco
Herald Sun Tour on the same day as the stars.  The L'Etape du Tour is a
recreational challenge ride starting in Mansfield and finishing at the
stunning ski resort of Mt Buller.  Enjoy the quiet country roads with
the comfort of knowing the ride is fully supported by 1st Aid Officers,
Support Vehicles and Event Marshals.

The road to Mt Buller has long been the training ground of 2008 Tour de
France stage winner Simon Gerrans.  So why not test yourself on the 16
km climb and see how your time compares to one of the worlds best
climbers! Date: Thursday 16th October 2008,  Time 8.30 am Start: Botanic
Gardens, Mansfield, Finish: Mt Buller Village. Distance: 48 km. Entry
fee: $30 CycleSport Victoria Members / $40 Non Members. Entries are now
open.  Adam Smith, CycleSport Victoria, Phone: 613 8480 3000,  Email:
adam.smith at cycling.org.au
Additional details: http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=17783
*

Brunetti Women's Coffee Club Ride: 18 October*
Why not participate in this great new cycling event for women of all
ages and abilities. The 20km scenic group ride from Carlton to Kew
Boulevard returns back to Brunetti's Coffee and lunch at the Women's
hub, set up for the event.   Participants will be able to ride with
women of similar abilities and fitness levels and ride angels offer
guidance and encouragement. After the ride participants can cheer on the
professional riders as they compete in the Amy Gillett Cup and the
famous Jayco Herald Sun Circuit Race along Lygon Street.

Click here to register, places are limited:
http://www.amygillett.org.au/brunetti-women-s-coffee-club-ride/

*Castlemaine Festival of the Wheel: 25 - 26 October*
News from Neil Barrett: I'm writing to let you know about the Festival
of the Wheel in and around Castlemaine on the weekend of October 25th
and 26th. This will be a great weekend for all sorts of cyclists, from
road riders to mountain bike riders, from the experienced to the
inexperienced. The weekend is being organised by the Mount Alexander
Sustainability Group and it is both a fundraiser for the group as well
as an awareness raiser of the value of the bike in solving some of the
world's problems. There will be :

    * Supported non-competitive rides from 9km to 85km on the Saturday,
      starting at 11am, with registration from 9am
    * Cycling's Big Night Out at the Theatre Royal on Sat night,
    * Two duathlons on the Sunday morning and
    * a Family Day in the Botanical Gardens on the Sunday afternoon.

Early Bird entries close 5pm, 13th Oct 2008. For detailed information,
bookings and inquiries, please go to www.masg.org.au or (03) 5470 6825
or 5470 6891
Flyer: http://www.yarrabug.org/docs/FOW_flyer_6ppNEW.pdf

*Scotty's Ride - Supporting the Scott Peoples Foundation: 13 December*
Scott Peoples was one of Australia's most talented young cyclists and
was on the brink of breaking into the cut-throat world of professional
cycling in Europe.  Tragically in December 2006 Scott was killed whilst
on a training ride near Mansfield in regional Victoria. To honour
Scott's memory the Scott Peoples Foundation was formed to assist in the
development of junior cycling in regional Victoria.  In partnership with
the Scott Peoples Foundation we are proud to announce that the innagural
Scotty's Ride will take place on Saturday 13th December.  The 120km
recreational challenge ride will take place on the quiet country roads
around Scott's home town of Shepparton.

Scotty's Ride will kick off an action packed weekend of cycling which
will also include track cycling at the Shepparton velodrome and Scotty's
Race which will see some of Australia's top cyclists in action. Entries
to Scotty's Ride will open in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned to
www.cyclosportifvic.com.au for further details.
For more information on the Scott Peoples Foundation please see the
Official Website here:
http://www.scottpeoplesfoundation.com.au/
*

The Otesha Project - Cycling for Sustainability: 18 January to 1 March,
2009*
Be a part of the change by joining a crew of peeps who will ride from
Melbourne, following close by the beautiful Great Ocean road, stopping
by the ancient beauty of the Grampians, coninuing over to Bendigo and
then completing this adventurous loop back to the heart of Melbourne.
All the while you'll be presenting to youth, empowering yourself, tour
members, and community members! So now all you need to do is apply!
Applications are still open for the Victorian tour.
Additional details: http://www.otesha.org.au/

*9. Even more news*

*Local exhibition: Somnambulist - Victoria Park Gallery, 250 Johnston
Street, Abbotsford*
Long-exposure photography, shot at night.  Images and locations include
New Zealand's Kinleith Paper Mill, the Yarra Trail, and Inverloch.
Opens Wednesday 10th September 2008, 6:30-8:30pm.  Until 27th September.
Also - The Petrol Can Rider - Bus Gallery, 117 Little Collins Street,
Melbourne. Animation melding the influences of Franz Kafka, Mad Max, and
the petrol price "crisis".  Satire & existentialism at 12 frames a
second!  June-July 2009. More details: http://www.simonocarrigan.com.au

*Going Solar Transport Newsletters*
Want to know more about news and views about Melbourne sustainable
transport? Subscribe to Going Solars weekly Transport Newsletters
http://goingsolar.com.au/php/div_transport.php

*
Streetsblog: Melbourne's Complete Streets (US)*
http://www.streetsblog.org/2008/09/17/melbournes-complete-streets/
In August, I had the pleasure of spending a little more than two weeks
in Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne is the country's second-largest city,
with 3.8 million residents in the metropolitan area. Despite its size,
from a walking and transportation standpoint (to say nothing of a
coffee-drinking perspective), Melbourne almost defines the term "livable
city."

*
VeloNews: Legally Speaking with Bob Mionske - More rage (US)*
In a previous Legally Speaking column, Bikes vs. Cars, I recounted some
of this summer's more egregious road rage incidents between motorists
and cyclists, all of which happened in rapid-fire succession over a
period of several weeks. As I noted in conclusion, although these
stories may have seemed like "a new kind of road rage," as Newsweek put
it, for seasoned cyclists, the stories were more an indication that the
daily violence cyclists encounter had finally managed to capture the
attention of the public-at-large.

But more importantly, I observed that the larger questions remained
unasked, and unanswered in the media: Why are cyclists the daily targets
of road violence, and what can cyclists do to change that reality? In
the last column (see "Summer of rage"), we looked for some answers as to
why these road rage incidents occurred; this week, we'll continue with a
discussion of how anger becomes road rage, and strategies for changing
the cycling environment for the better.

Further article in link: http://www.velonews.com/article/83093

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group Inc.