[YarraBUG-list] YarraBUG November - December News

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Wed Nov 19 10:46:33 AEDT 2008

Hi all,

This months action-packed edition of YarraBUG news for your reading
enjoyment!

- Next YarraBUG Meeting 30 November
- YarraBUG AGM short report
- YarraBUG Radio report
- Swanston Street - Countdown to Coach removal
- Candidate Survey
- Gipps St Bridge News - at last!
- Pallas rejects call for slower road speeds
- Yarra Bend Park Sport and Recreation Facilities Plan
- Events & Rides

*Next YarraBUG Meeting 30 November 2008*
This will be our last meeting for 2008 and there's plenty to reflect
upon and plan for 2009. We've obviously been flat chat with getting
YarraBUG Radio on air and need to plan for additional BUG activities in
2009. As this is our final meeting, let's do something a little special
and meet at 2pm, Sunday 30 November at Little Creatures Dining Hall, 222
Brunswick St Fitzroy. See you there!

*
YarraBUG AGM short report*
We held our first AGM on October 19th at 3CR's meeting room. Our new
committee of management for 2009 is Bill, Joel, Ruth, Steve & Chris.
Four of us nominated as general Co-convenors and Joel was elected
Membership Officer. We welcome the new members to the YarraBUG committee
and look forward to working together.

*
YarraBUG Radio report*
Listen into YarraBUG Radio, broadcasting every Monday at 10-10.30am on
3CR Community Radio 855am and streaming live on the web at 3cr.org.au.
We're already up to our tenth show and are swiftly developing our 'radio
craft' with every show. With a ensemble of six presenters it's been
loads of fun, and at times, a slightly nervous debut into the world of
live broadcasting.

Here's our new dedicated YarraBUG Radio website:
http://www.yarrabug.org/radio

Many people have been asked about when we will start podcasting. 3CR has
a policy of only granting permission shows to podcast after six months
onair and also ensuring first that the announcers are technically
proficient. So stay tuned for further news about when we commence
podcasting, although weekly show summaries are available on our new
website. Have an idea, want to be interviewed or have program feedback?
Then please let us know. Your feedback is welcome, so call us at 3CR on
03 9419 8377 when you can let us know your thoughts, we welcome your
contribution, after all YarraBUG is here for you to help you make your
cycling safe, fun and infectious for others.

Additional YarraBUG Radio news - Bike nerds = Trivia Champs!
http://www.3cr.org.au/news/3cr-quiz-night-success
 From 3CR's 30th October fundraising Quiz Night:: New program YarraBUG
had the audacity to win and showed no remorse with their parting
comment, "Great night, all in good spirits, and made even better by the
newbies winning".

*Other bike radio news:*
Although 3AW is not known for providing positive coverage to cycling
issues, it has allocated a regular spot on Saturday afternoon 3.45pm for
talk about cycling issues. Many of you would know Warren Cay from
BikeNow (Cogs Girls, Brunetti Women's Coffee Club Ride, numerous Skill
Cycle Sessions). Warren is coordinating the segment which is hosted by
Tom Elliot. The success of the program depends on people calling in with
questions and comments. So take advantage of the opportunity to
demonstrate to 3AW that listeners are interested in  cycling and
hopefully the program slot will be moved from the sport program to a
lifestyle/health and wellbeing program.

*Swanston Street Coach Countdown*
Sonya is doing a "countdown" on YarraBUG Radio regarding the removal of
coaches on Swanston Street, in the wake of Carolyn Rawlins tragic death
in September.

The Age: In Carolyn's name:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/in-carolyns-name-20081013-4ztc.html?page=-1

 From November 10:
http://www.melbournecyclist.com/forum/topics/1684380:Topic:20020
 "Just off the phone with Melbourne City Council regarding buses out of
Swanston Street. They report that they are on schedule to remove any
"business that operates a business from the street". They said that this
covers all sizes of buses no just full size coaches. There are some
works that needs to be done to prepare the alternative site for
pickup/drop off. These works are considered minor and hasn't been
schedule because the alternative site is still being decided. Their
first option is the rear of Fed Sq. Failing agreements that need to be
reached between Fed Sq and the tour operators the laternative site will
be near Melbourne Goal. The decision is likely to be made in the next
few days and we can expect to see the works proceed and completed by
November 24th."

COUNTDOWN to NO BUSES in Swanston Street - this Monday 24th November.
Will the Melbourne City Council keep their word on promises to improve
cyclist safety in Swanston Street?

*Candidate Survey*
YarraBUG is currently sending a Questionaire to candidates standing in
the Yarra Council elections on 29th November asking their stance on
local sustainable transport and cycling issues. This time the questions
are broader in scope than the 2004 questionaire, as the emphasis upon
cycling issues have obviously changed greatly in the last four years and
many issues facing cyclists are beyond the scope of local councils.

2004 Questionaire
http://www.yarrabug.org/wp-content/YarraCouncilElections2004.pdf

The results should be in within a week and posted to this list and our
website, apologies to those who are voting early!

BoorandaraBUG have posted their candidate survey of Boroondara  and
Stonnington candidates:
http://boroondarabug.org/wiki/index.php/Election_2008_Boroondara
http://boroondarabug.org/wiki/index.php/Election_2008_Stonnington

*Gipps St Bridge News - at last!*
The Gipps Street Steps issue continues to crawl along at a glacial pace
- but wait, there's good news from the State Government in the way of
design funding for a new bridge at Clarke Street,  Abbotsford, crossing
the Yarra and therefore bypassing Collins Bridge and the steps.

Grants To Link Melbourne's Great Bike Trails: Friday, 24 October 2008
http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/minister-for-environment-climate-change/grants-to-link-melbournes-great-bike-trails.html

City of Yarra -- Merri Creek Trail: Rushall Station Bypass trail
realignment, $130,677
Yarra Bend Trust -- Main Yarra Trail: Design of Yarra Boulevard trail
realignment, $50,000,
City of Yarra -- Main Yarra Trail: Design of Clark St Bridge (Gipps St
Stairs bypass), $150,000

*The Age: Pallas rejects call for slower road speeds*
http://www.theage.com.au/national/pallas-rejects-call-for-slower-road-speeds-20081114-67c9.html

Roads Minister Tim Pallas has dismissed calls to cut car speeds across
Melbourne that proponents say will improve road safety for pedestrians
and cyclists. Research released yesterday by the Safe Speed Interest
Group, a coalition of councils and the Heart Foundation, found that
dropping speed limits to 30km/h on suburban streets would cut pedestrian
injuries. And it would improve community health by encouraging more to
walk and cycle, the research found. "The evidence is incontrovertible:
lowering speed limits increases safety," said Yarra councillor and the
coalition's spokeswoman, Jackie Fristacky. But Mr Pallas said he would
not consider dropping speed limits because it would "lose the community
in a debate that has to be had about road safety". (more in article)

***

With those comments in mind, please free most free to contact Mr Pallas
and politely inform him what you think about his attitude towards
reducing road speeds.
Those details are: Hon. Tim Pallas, MP, Minister for Roads and Ports,
Department of Transport. GPO Box 2797, Melbourne VIC 3001. Email:
tim.pallas at parliament.vic.gov.au

*Yarra Bend Park Sport and Recreation Facilities Plan*
The Yarra Bend Park Draft Sport and Recreation Directions Plan is now
available for comment. A draft sport and recreation directions plan has
been prepared for Yarra Bend Park. Parks Victoria in association with
the Cities of Boroondara, Darebin and Yarra, engaged sport and
recreation planning consultant @leisure to prepare a draft for community
consultation. The Plan will guide the development of sport and
recreation facilities within the Park.

The draft plan is available to download here:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=225
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/mresources/yarra_bend/Yarra_Bend
_Directions_Paper%20.pdf

Have your say! Clubs and individuals are invited to review the document
and attend a meeting to discuss the plan. Send in written comments:
Comments can be made on the sheet provided ora separate page by 21
November 2008.

*Events & Rides

*
*Local Events & Rides Calendar:*
http://www.yarrabug.org/events-and-rides

*
Melbourne Bicycle Film Festival - 19 - 23 November 2008*
On its eighth annual trail through international cities, the Bicycle
Film Festival will be rolling into Melbourne from Wednesday 19 til
Sunday 23 of November 2008. From slick fixed gear gods to spokey-doke
adorners, the Bicycle Film Festival brings together Melbourne's diverse
range of bike riders to celebrate man's beloved mechanical companion.
The festival will screen an array of international and local films, and
continue its promotion of the bicycle through a side-program of art,
music, and fashion festivities. Set in CBD venues, this year's festival
is certain to see bicycles pulsing with the beat of Melbourne's heart
More details: http://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com.au

*Track Cycling - UCI World Cup - in Melbourne this week - 20-22 November
2008*
The UCI Track Cycling World Cup brings together the best track cyclists
in the world to burn up the boards at Melbourne's world class indoor
velodrome.Cyclists from 50 countries, including world and Olympic
championships will compete in sprint and endurance, individual and team
events.
More details: http://www.trackworldcup.com.au/

*
Bicycle Swap Meet -  **9.30am - 3pm **Saturday 22nd November 2008 *
Entry by gold coin donation - rear of Abbotsford Cycles, 27 Swan St,
Richmond (under the station) hosted by Vintage Cycle Club of Victoria
courtesy of Abbotsford Cycles. A chance to BRING, BUY, SWAP, SELL
precious old bicycle junk. All eras welcome, but classic and vintage
preferred. To register as a seller ($10 fee bkgs essential - limited
space available) or for further info contact: Charlie Farren:
farren at vicnet.net.au, tel 9827 4453. This event is held in conjunction
with the Bicycle Film Festival on 19-23 November 2008:
http://www.ambiguoushorse.com/bicycle-ff/

*Cyclismo - Bendigo - 22-23 November 2008*
Come to Bendigo on 22-23 November for a weekend of immersion in cycling.
Get into town on Saturday afternoon and settle in then come into
Rosalind Park to join the cycling tribe in this cycling mad town. Check
out the latest equipment from suppliers such as SRAM, get some advice on
bike fit and training and catch up with old and new cycling friends.
Test your skills in the cobbled MTB challenge or just watch the extreme
riders before the professional criterium. Don't stay up to late though
as on Sunday the Excelior Gran Fondo (Recreational Ride) offers a tough
challenge and the chance to ride with the pro's. The Excelior Gran Fondo
is also a rare opportunity for cycling fans to ride with the stars as
elite teams and riders join the enthusiasts to ride on some of the roads
used in previous editions of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour, Australia's
oldest road cycling stage race. Covering three beautiful courses of
134km, 84km and 42km there is a ride for everyone!
More details: http://www.cyclismo.com.au

*
YCAT BBQ & get together - Thursday, 4th December 2008*
Yarra Campaign Against the Tunnel are having a BBQ in lieu of the usual
fortnightly meeting. This will be a chance to relax, debrief, chat,
recharge and, of course, have a BBQ at Gahan's Reserve. Where: Gahan's
Reserve, Collingwood, Melways 2C J9 - at 6 for 6.30pm start. Right near
Collingwood Railway Station behind the Collingwood Town Hall (nearest
public toilets next to Police station) BYO meat & non-meat and
refreshments. Any additional details & updates will be posted to the
YCAT facebook group & YCAT website. See you there!
More details: http://www.ycat.org.au/

*
Geelong Full Moon Bike Ride - 13th December 2008*
Time to polish the spokes, oil the chain, dust off the nativity scene
and stretch the muscles. Geelongs' next Full Moon Bike Ride is on
Saturday the 13th December leaving at 6.30pm from outside Cafe 9 Zero
(90 Pakington St, Geelong West). Riders will head to the iconic Easterm
Beach for a BBQ dinner before heading north to the suburb of Corio with
the sole purpose of checking out Christmas lights. Oh! and to eat a
delightful supper. Because we will travel along bike paths or quieter
back roads, this ride will suit beginners. Check out a map at:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/13th-December-full-moon-bike-ride
Although the route may alter a little seeking out all the cooool xmas
lights.

For train times see vline.com.au For more details see:
www.myspace.com/fullmoonbikeridesgeelong

Right Honorable David Cheng, Chief Executive to the General Manager,
Full Moon Bike Rides Pty Ltd

*
Ride and Run the Ring Road - 14 December 2008*
To celebrate the completion of the Ring Road between the Princes Fwy,
Corio and the Hamilton Hwy, Fyansford, the Geelong Advertiser is proud
to present the Ring Road Ride and Run, a once in a lifetime chance for
you to ride or run on the Geelong Ring Road before it opens to traffic
More details: http://www.ringroadrideandrun.org.au

--

Yarra Bicycle Users Group Inc.
PO Box 253