[YarraBUG-list] June BikeFun and beyond

Nicholas Dow nik at nikdow.net
Wed Jun 11 23:33:55 AEST 2008

Bike Fun Melbourne presents...

*** June BikeFun and beyond ***

Minimass to the Taphouse - Friday June 13th
Temporary change of venue for pubbug this month as we're going down to see
why everyone is talking up Melbourne's latest Craft Beer venue.
The Local Taphouse - 184 Carlisle Street, St Kilda,
There will be a mini mass from Fed Sq on Swanston leaving 6:30pm. (Pace:
Social No-drop)

BV disgust ride - Sunday June 15th
Do you think there should be less money spent on freeways and more on
public transport and bikepaths?  If so, you might like to join us at the
EASTLINK festivities wearing a t-shirt which puts your point of view, eg
MORE TRAINS, LESS TRUCKS.  It's easy to do with a laundry marker pen.
You'll need to register for the free 30k ride at
http://www.bv.com.au/great-rides/41339/

We will get to the ride on the Cranbourne/Pakenham line departing Flinders
Street 8.12am arriving at Yarraman Station at 8.53am.  Join us on the
train (in the last carriage if we can all fit) or else at Yarraman.

The nearest entry point to EastLink is Cheltenham Road on-ramp. To get to
Cheltenham Road, we will cycle south from Yarraman Station on the cycle
path to Tower Court, Left onto Popes Rd, Right onto Bridge Rd, Left onto
Cheltenham Rd, Melway Map 80 J5 to J9, Best to check train timetables
before the day in case of temporary changes or call Metlink 131 638.

We could hide our t-shirts under sweaters or whatever, then (once safely
on the freeway) all pull our jumpers off at once and chant TRAINS NOT
TRUCKS or whatever the group decides on the way there.

Some choice quotes from the BV website to sum up their attitude:
They encourage us to "join in the festivities of the EastLink Roadshow"
and "celebrate the opening of EastLink" on "Melbourne?s exciting new
road".  In fact, why not sell your bike and use the fabulous new road
facilities!

BikeFun Full Moon & Solstice Ride 2008 - Friday June 20th
June full moon ride AND Winter Solstice ride in one!
Meet at 8pm at IMAX (Carlton Gardens, Rathdown St side) for an inner urban
ride under the full moon ending at a secret location for a midnight fire.
Bring snacks to share and if you are able -  wood for fuel.
This will be the biggest BikeFun event of the Winter. All welcome!

Critical Mass - Friday 27th of June
5:30PM - State Library
Last Friday every month and always a hoot: Ride, represent, party.
Come and enjoy the party on (2) wheels.
Possibly heading out west this month.
organiser: you

Next Geelong Full Moon Bike Ride - Friday 18th July
more details later

Eighth Annual Bicycle Film Festival Melbourne - 20th to 23rd November
Call for entries - local content.  Deadline 12 September.
http://ambiguoushorse.com/

REGULAR EVENTS:

Every Friday
Ride from Flemington to Mountain Goat Brewery (Richmond).
Start Cyclic Bikes, 56 Pin Oak Cres (opposite Newmarket Station)
Leave 6pm sharp, different route each week.

Bike Polo!
Sundays 1pm until around 6pm @ the carpark in the Carlton Gardens, west of
the Exhibition Buildings Bring a bike, beverage and yourself.
On weeknights there may be a game, but nothing regular at the moment. More
information at http://www.urbanbicyclist.org
Mallets and ball provided.  Melbourne Bicycle Polo Club:
melbourne.bicycle.polo.club -at- gmail.com
See also http://www.melbournecyclist.com/group/melbournebicyclepoloclub

Most rides go at a social pace, run rain or shine, and are free (like the
streets themselves).

BikeFun depends on people like you to create events and contribute to
Melbourne's creative bike community. Organise a ride (or whatever) and
BikeFun will promote it. email details to: bikefun at nikdow.net

To subscribe to the Bike Fun email, send a blank email to:
bikefunmelbourne-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Forward this email to all your friends.
http://bikefun.org