[YarraBUG-list] [Fwd: CPF News - Workshop 23 August]

Yarra Bicycle Users Group enquiries at yarrabug.org
Mon Aug 11 13:11:37 AEST 2008

fyi. ;)

Subject: CPF News - Workshop 23 August
From:    "Cycling Promotion Fund" <office at cyclingpromotion.com.au>
Date:    Mon, August 11, 2008 11:15 am
To:      "'Cycling Promotion Fund'" <office at cyclingpromotion.com.au>

Dear Members of BUGs and Clubs,

Great opportunity to have input into improving road safety for bicycle
riders

The good news is that the number of people cycling on our roads has been
increasing considerably over the last year, which could be a response to
higher petrol prices, congested roads and greater awareness of the many
benefits of cycling.  This is terrific and hopefully puts pressure on
Governments to create more supportive environments and culture on our roads.

The bad news is that road safety statistics are telling us that bicycle
injury rates have been increasing at a greater rate than cycling
participation. One factor is that many people who have taken up cycle
commuting have limited experience of riding in traffic, resulting in reduced
hazard detection skills, putting them at increased risk of injury.

The Cycling Promotion Fund has been successful in gaining a grant from the
TAC to develop some video clips addressing the four key road safety risks
for cyclists riding in traffic:

*	Car doors opening in the path of cyclist
*	Left turning vehicles not giving way to cyclists
*	Heavy vehicles and cyclists
*	Cyclist visibility

We are going to work with advertising company O’Keefe Murphy Gaff to develop
the clips. We are keen to get input from BUG and Club members and other
bicycle riders to develop the key messages for the script and the supporting
material.  We are also looking for people who are interested in being
“actors” in the video clips.

We strongly believe that resources developed by bicycle riders for bicycle
riders are the most effective to assist people to become more confident
riders with good traffic hazard detection skills.

Please let us know if any of your members are interested in having input
into this exciting project.

We have organised a workshop on Saturday 23rd of August 2008 at the
Augustine Centre, 2 Minona Street, Hawthorn from 2pm to 5pm.  It will be
great to see a good response - the more input we have, the better the
outcome will be.

We are very much aware that we also need an education campaign for
motorists, but unfortunately this did not fit the TAC funding criteria. If
this project is successful we may have a better chance to make the case for
a campaign to target motorists.  If you have any questions or suggestions or
would like to have input but cannot attend the workshop, please contact us
anytime.

To assist with catering please register if you are able to attend the
workshop.  To contact the CPF Office, email Kathy or Chris:
office at cyclingpromotion.com.au or call: (03) 9818 5400

In other cycling news

-          Dreams On Wheels in Melbourne – 12 – 19 August 2008

-          Economic Benefits of Cycling Issue Sheet

-          New Cycling Promotion Fund Posters

-          Australia’s First Dedicated Cycling Centre for Commuters

Dreams On Wheels in Melbourne – 12 – 19 August 2008

The Dreams on Wheels exhibition will be in the Atrium at Federation Square
in Melbourne from 12 to 19 August.  The exhibition is a showcase of Danish
culture of cycling and innovative Danish bicycle design. This exhibition has
been brought to Australia as part of celebrations marking the re-opening of
the Royal Danish Embassy in Canberra.

For more information follow this link:
http://www.canberra.um.dk/en/menu/Cultural+Services/Events/DreamsOnWheelsInM
elbourne12To19August/

Economic Benefits of Cycling Issue Sheet
The Cycling Promotion Fund has developed a resource that outlines the
significant economic savings to government and the economy from current and
future participation in cycling.  Follow this link below to download the
resource or contact us to get some hard copies to use in your advocacy work.
http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/content/view/334/150/

New Cycling Promotion Fund Posters
The CPF has recently updated its range of promotional posters. The new
selection will be available at the end of August. Please check our website
for more details then or call the CPF office to make your order.

Australia’s First Dedicated Cycling Centre For Commuters
Australia’s largest cycling centre has recently opened in Brisbane,
providing commuters with access to:

*	420 bike parking spaces, secure, electronic entry for members
*	270 secure lockers and 18 showers for men, 150 secure lockers and 15
showers for women
*	12 lockers in the people with disability (PWD) area
*	A fresh towel provided daily, ironing boards (and irons)
*	Valet laundry and cleaning service*
*	Bike spares and commuter refreshments, air conditioned locker rooms

*This is simple and convenient, when laundered, clothes can be returned (by
staff) to individual lockers.

For more information about this great facility and to do an online tour,
follow the link below
http://www.cycle2city.com.au

Brisbane City Council has also called for tenders to provide a ‘city bicycle
share system’ similar to the one run in many European countries. A few of
the Australian cities have been considering setting up such a system, but it
appears that Brisbane will again take the lead in getting such a system off
the ground.

CPF’s Program Director, Rosemarie Speidel, was fortunate to visit Paris last
month and experience their Vélib system in action. She was very surprised
how visible it has made cycling in the city and how residents and visitors
have taken to it.  After the first year of operation, the system has saved
the city 10 million km in car trips and some argue has slowed down traffic
and made motorists more aware of bicycle riders.

Watch this StreetFilms clip about the Vélib system:
http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/velib%E2%80%99/

Hope you are inspired.

Warm regards,

The Cycling Promotion Fund team